Apple Wallet is a convenient way to store credit/debit cards, boarding passes, event tickets, student IDs, driver’s licenses, and more. Setting up Apple Wallet is a pretty easy and straightforward process. However, many users face issues while adding a debit or credit card. While many users have reported that the Apple Wallet is not showing the Add Card option, some users can’t add a new card after entering the correct card details. If you are also in the same boat, keep reading this article, as we’ll discuss some nifty workarounds to fix issues with Apple Wallet.
- How to Fix Apple Wallet Not Showing the Add Card Option
How to Fix Apple Wallet Not Showing the Add Card Option
Here are a couple of nifty workarounds that will help you fix the issue where the Add Card option does not show on Apple Wallet. Before I take you to the first solution, here are a couple of things you should know about Apple Wallet:
- If you are less than 13 years old, you can’t add a card to Apple Wallet.
- Apple Wallet service is available in select regions. If you do not belong to that region, you can’t use it. Click here to see the list of countries where Apple Walle is supported.
- If you have an Apple device and belong to the region where Apple Wallet is supported does not mean that you are all set to use it. You should have a compatible iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, or Mac model that supports Apple Wallet.
Supported iPhone Models:
You can use Apple Pay on iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, and iPhone 5s. But, it requires an Apple Watch to make the payment.
Supported iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch Models:
You can use Apply Pay on iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad, and iPad mini models with Touch ID or Face ID.
Apple has offered support for Apple Pay on Apple Watch Series 1 and later.
All Mac models with Touch ID support Apple Pay. Also, Mac models introduced in 2012 or later can work with Apple Pay, but the device requires to be paired with an iPhone or Apple Watch. Lastly, Macs powered by Apple silicon that are paired with a Magic Keyboard and Touch ID are supported.
As long as you have a supported Apple device and belong to a country where Apple Wallet is supported, you can use it. If you can’t add a card to Apple Wallet, here are some solutions you can try to fix it.
Solution 1: Quit the Wallet App and Launch It Again
There could be a minor software glitch, which could prevent you from adding cards to Apple Wallet. You should close the app from the App Switcher and launch it again to check if it can fix the issue.
To open the App Switch screen on iPhone X or later, swipe up from the bottom to the center of your screen. Do not remove the finger until the App Switcher screen is displayed. Swipe up a finger on the app to close it.
On iPhones with a home button, double tap the home button to open the App Switcher screen. Now, swipe up an app to close it. Once you have closed Apple Wallet, wait for 5 seconds and launch the app again. Check if you can add a new card to the Wallet app.
Solution 2: Restart Your Device
This solution is effective when trying to fix issues like the app not loading, crashing, etc. It can also resolve conflicts among apps. You should therefore restart your Apple device and check if the problem is fixed.
Steps to restart your iPhone:
- Press and hold the volume up button and side button until the power-off slider appears.
- Drag the slider to the right.
- Wait for 30 seconds.
- Press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo on the screen.
Steps to restart your iPad:
- Press and hold the volume up and top button until the power-off slider appears.
- Drag the slider to the right and wait for 30 seconds.
- Press and hold the top button until you see the Apple logo.
Steps to restart an Apple Watch:
- Press and hold the side button until you see the power menu.
- Tap POWER OFF and use the slider to turn the device off.
- Press and hold the side button again to turn on your Apple Watch.
Solution 3: Check Your Device Region
if your iPhone is set to a region where Apple Wallet is not supported, you can’t use it. You should therefore make sure that the device’s region is set to the region where you are currently living in. Also, make sure that the card’s address belongs to the same region.
To check the device’s region, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on your profile.
- Select Media & Purchases.
- Click View Account and tap on Country/Region.
- Select the correct region.
Solution 4: Check Your Internet Connection
To add a debit card or a credit card, your Apple device needs to be connected to the internet. You should therefore check if the internet is working on your device. If there’s no problem with your Wi-Fi, switch to mobile data. Now, close Apple Wallet, launch the app, and check if you can add a new card.
Solution 5: Update Your Device
Make sure your iPhone is running the latest iOS version. The latest firmware might contain some improvements or fixes to Apple Wallet that can fix the problem. Hence, update your iPhone and check if the problem is fixed.
Follow these steps to update your iPhone:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Go to General > Software Update.
- Click Download and Install.
It may take a while for the firmware installation to complete. Once done, launch Apple Wallet and check if you can add a new card.
Solution 6: Check Apple System Status
If your device fulfills all the requirements for using Apple Wallet, but still you can’t add a card, then there could be some server issues. to check the current status of Apple Wallet, visit the Apple System Status page and note the color for Apple Pay & Wallet. A red color indicates that the service is affected, and a green light means there’s nothing wrong on the server side.
Solution 7: Remove an Existing Card
You can not add as many cards as you can on the Apple Wallet. On iPhone 8 or newer models, you can add up to 12 cards to Apple Pay. The same limit applies to Apple Watch Series 3 or later. On older devices, you can add a maximum of 8 cards.
If you have already added the maximum number of cards, you can’t add a new one. For this, you’ll need to delete a card and then try to add a new card. To delete a card, open Wallet & Apple Pay settings, tap on a card and click Remove Card.
In this guide, we tried multiple ways to fix the Apple Wallet not showing the Add Card option. I hope you were able to fix it. In case none of the solutions have worked for you, check your card validity. Lastly, you can contact your bank to remove restrictions on your card.