AsusTek Computer Inc. is a Taiwan-based multinational computer and phone manufacturer company. The brand offers quality products for gaming in the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series. Recently, Asus has announced its flagship gaming smartphone called Asus ROG Phone 2. It’s a successor model of the first generation Asus ROG Phone. The device packs flagship-grade hardware and features with the latest Android 9.0 Pie version out-of-the-box. According to the company, it’s the most powerful gaming smartphone right now in the world. We have covered an article on ROG Phone 2 Stock Firmware update tracker. Now, here in this guide, we will share with you ASUS ROG Phone 2 Software update – Android Q Timeline Tracker.
If you’re using the ROG Phone 2 or planning to buy it, this guide is for you. You will find the complete details of the device specifications, software update details, and installation methods. Follow the full guide.
Table of Contents
- 1 Asus ROG Phone 2 Specifications
- 2 Check for Software OTA Update
- 3 ASUS ROG Phone 2 Software Update Details
- 4 How to Install Software update manually on ASUS ROG Phone 2
- 5 ASUS ROG Phone 2 Android Q Timeline Tracker
Asus ROG Phone 2 Specifications
The Asus ROG Phone 2 packs a 6.59-inch Full-HD+ AMOLED display with 1080×2340 pixels resolution, 120Hz refresh rate, 1ms response time, and 10-bit HDR support. It’s powered by the octa-core 2.9GHz Snapdragon 855 Plus SoC, pairs up to 12GB of LPDDR4X RAM. While the internal storage is available in 128GB/512GB UFS 3.0 options. It features the dual front-facing stereo speakers with DTS: X Ultra support.
The ROG Phone 2 features a 48MP primary camera with a 13MP wide-angle secondary camera offers a 125-degrees field of view along with an LED flash. While the front features a 24MP selfie shooter. It runs on ROG UI based on Android 9.0 Pie out-of-the-box. But the company has mentioned that the users can switch to Stock Android UI in the future.
In terms of the connectivity options, it includes Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, WiFi-Direct, NFC, a 3.5mm audio jack, 4G LTE, Bluetooth 5.0, USB Type-C port, etc. It has a side-mounted connector as well for gaming accessories. You can easily mount a gaming emulator for better gameplay. The phone includes accelerometer, compass, proximity, hall sensor, ambient light sensor, in-display fingerprint sensor, gyroscope, and an ultrasonic sensor. The ROG Phone 2 packs a massive 6,000 mAh battery with 30W ROG HyperCharge technology. Asus claims that the battery will 7 hours of PUBG gameplay @60Hz refresh rate on a full charge.
Check for Software OTA Update
Whenever Asus releases a software update, the users get OTA notification automatically on their devices. If in case, you haven’t received any OTA update notification on your handset, follow the steps below:
Go to the device Settings menu > scroll down and tap on System > Advanced > System updates. If your handset receives the software update, just follow the on-screen instructions and install it. But if you’re an advanced user and want to install the update manually, follow the full guide below.
ASUS ROG Phone 2 Software Update Details
We will keep updating the firmware update details whenever a new update will be available.
|Software Version||Release Date||Changelog|
1.Update security patch
2.improve system performance
– Updated Android security patch
– Improved the stability of FOTA progress
– Enabled VoLTE and VoWiFi on Telia (Norway, Sweden and Finland)
– Improved System stability
– Fixed the Hebrew text is set and the text is cut off on the screen
– Improved the screen recorder echo issue when device is connected to a headset
– Fixed issue with 3rd party launchers and Armoury Crate
– Fixed issue where media audio disappears over bluetooth with certain music apps
Enabled randomized MAC feature for WIFI connections
Fixed issue where occasionally video playback would freeze
Fixed issue causing sound value reverting to default when user insert a headset, adjust the bass value in AudioWizard and answering a call.
Fixed the issue where the screen refresh rate in Quick settings is not grayed out when opening a game app
Fixed issue where app would crash if user press the back key when replying email with GMail in tablet mode with DT Dock
Fixed video search issue on Game Genie
Fixed APP Lock function issue
Fixed Settings crash issue in French localization
Fixed occasional splash screen issue
|CN-16.0621.1907.48 [2.39 GB]||2019/09/10||
|WW-16.0622.1907.33 [2.2 GB]||2019/09/09||
|CN-16.0621.1907.47 [2.39 GB]||2019/09/05||
|WW-16.0622.1906.19 [2.12 GB]||2019/08/19||
|CN-16.0621.1906.24 [2.3 GB]||2019/08/16||
|CN-16.0621.1906.12 [2.38 GB]||2019/08/06||
|CN-16.0620.1906.18 [2.29 GB]||2019/07/26||
How to Install Software update manually on ASUS ROG Phone 2
Before installing, make sure to follow the pre-requirements and install the necessary drivers and tools on your PC.
- The guide and firmware file is only supported for Asus ROG Phone 2 model.
- Charge your phone up to at least 50% before installing any file.
- You will require a Laptop or PC and a USB cable.
- Take a complete device data backup without any root.
- Install the Latest Asus USB Drivers. [For All Android USB Drivers]
- You have to download ADB Fastboot drivers on your PC.
Instructions to Install Software
Check out the full installation method. We have provided two possible methods for installing the stock firmware update. You need to follow only one method properly.
Method 1: Install via Recovery (Recommended)
- First, you have to download the zip file from the above link and rename the file to update.zip.
- Now, switch off your device and reboot into recovery mode by pressing Power button +Volume UP button.
- After booting into the recovery mode select apply update from sd card.
- Now, choose the update.zip file which you have downloaded earlier.
- Wait for the complete installation process.
- Once the installation process is completed, you can Reboot your Asus ROG Phone 2.
- You’re done. Enjoy!
Method 2: Install via ADB Sideload
- Download the ADB and Fastboot drivers for Windows or Mac and extract it on your PC.
- Install the ADB and Fastboot drivers.
- Now, move the downloaded OTA zip file to ADB Folder.
- Enable Developer Options and USB Debugging on your device.
- Open the extracted ADB Folder and Open Command Window by pressing Shift Key + Right Mouse Click.
- Switch off your phone.
- Reboot your phone into recovery mode by pressing Volume UP + Power button together.
- Now, connect the PC to Mobile with a USB Cable.
- Next, enter the following command in the command window and press enter:
- This command will show if any device is connected properly. If it doesn’t show, then please check the drivers are installed properly or if the attached cable is damaged.
- If your device is listed, then please type the below command in your command window.
adb sideload File_name.zip
- Wait until the installation process completes.
- Once the installation process is completed and You can Reboot your ROG Phone 2.
- That’s it.
ASUS ROG Phone 2 Android Q Timeline Tracker
As we already mentioned that Asus has just unveiled its latest gaming smartphone and it will be available for open sale from October 2019. It’s worth mentioning that the ROG Phone 2 comes with Android 9.0 Pie along with ROG UI or Stock Android UI preloaded. Whereas Google has announced Android Q Developer Preview early this year and will launch the official stable version very soon. Therefore, it seems that ROG Phone 2 have some time to receive the stable Android Q update.
Asus isn’t good enough in providing software updates faster or frequently to its devices whether flagship or mid-range budget segment. However, we can expect that the Asus ROG Phone 2 Android Q software update may release in early 2020 as a beta. Therefore, we have to wait for a few months more to get more details on it. We will keep updating the details frequently. Till then, stay tuned for info.