This tutorial outlines the steps to collaborate on a Word Document on a computer, phone, or online. Collaboration is perhaps the most important functionalities when it comes to working in teams. It gives your team members the option to check the live progress of the document and could make the changes live at that instance itself. This is where it scores a plus point over the normal Share feature. With that said, most of you might be using Google Docs to make use of this feature.
But what many are unaware of is the fact that you could collaborate on a Word Document as well. The steps are applicable across the Word application on your PC, smartphone, or even the online version. In this guide, we will have a look at the steps for all three platforms. We will be using Microsoft’s own cloud storage service OneDrive for this purpose. So without further ado, here are the required instruction set.
How to Collaborate on a Word Document on a Computer
- Launch the Word File on your PC and type in the desired contents.
- When that is done, head over to File > Save As. Give this file a name and save it on OneDrive.
- Once the file is saved, head over to the Share menu and click on Share with People.
- Now under the Invite people section, type in the email address of the recipients. You could also select from Can Edit or Can View option to give the receiver the option to edit the document or simply view it.
- Finally, enter the comments and remarks (optional) and hit Share. Or you could also click on Get Sharing Link option situated at the bottom right. Then select Create an Edit-Link or View-Only Link, as per the need. Then copy the given link and share it via your desired messaging app.
That is it. These were the steps to collaborate on a Word Document on your PC. Let’s now check out the steps to do so on your device followed by the web version.
- Launch the MS Word app on your device and sign in with your Microsoft account.
- If you wish to create a new file, then hit the Plus icon situated at the bottom. Or to load an already created content, tap on the folder icon situated at the bottom. Then tap on One Drive and select your file.
- Anyways, once you have created the file, tap on the overflow menu situated at the top right.
- Select Share from the menu and then tap on OneDrive Personal. This will then save your file over to Microsoft’s cloud storage.
- Once that is done, enter the email address of the recipients to whom you wish to share the files. Similarly, you could also share the file as a link by tapping on the Share as link option.
- Finally, hit the Send button and the intended recipients will receive the said file. The steps to collaborate on an MS Word document using your smartphone is now complete. Here are the steps for the web version.
Collaborate on MS Word Online
- Head over to the Microsoft Word’s web version and sign in with your Microsoft Account.
- Then you could either create a new document or load one from the OneDrive. Let’s go with the former one.
- Click on the New Blank Document option. Fill in with the desired contents.
- Then go to File > Save As > Again tap on Save As and save your file to OneDrive, along with giving it an appropriate name.
- After that, click on the Share option situated at the top right.
- Enter the email address of the users with whom you wish to collaborate, add an optional message, and hit the Send button. Or you could also make use of the Copy Link option to share this file’s link via any other app.
With this, we conclude the guide on how to Collaborate on a Word Document on a Computer, Phone, or Online. If you have any issues concerning the aforementioned steps, let us know in the comments section below. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Trick that you should check out as well.