As per Blizzard Entertainment, Diablo IV is the ultimate action RPG where players can experience endless evils to slaughter, countless abilities to master, cold-blooded dungeons, legendary loots, and more. Well, nothing is more frustrating in a demon-slaying video game than the force crashes or the game not launching issue. Diablo IV becomes one of the anticipated titles which is in the early beta stage but has a huge player base. Meanwhile, if you’re facing the Diablo 4 Run Out of Memory error then don’t worry.
Diablo IV is all set to release officially in June 2023 and it’s going through the open beta program right now in March 2023. Though developers are actively working on several bugs and errors to provide a more stable experience with the official release, it might take some weeks for sure. So, it’s always recommended to follow workarounds to try fixing issues manually without waiting further. Similarly, here you can check all the troubleshooting methods below to resolve this error.
- Fix: Diablo 4 Run Out of Memory Error
- 1. Check the Memory Usage of Diablo IV
- 2. Reboot the PC
- 3. Check for Overheating Issues
- 4. Close Other Background Tasks
- 5. Update Diablo IV
- 6. Repair Game Files
- 7. Check for GPU Driver Updates
- 8. Adjust Diablo 4 Graphics Settings
- 9. Perform a Clean Boot
- 10. Use the Disk Cleanup Tool
- 11. Scan for System File Issues
- 12. Reset the User Interface in Battle.net
- 13. Try Increasing Virtual Memory
- 14. Update Windows
Fix: Diablo 4 Run Out of Memory Error
Talking about the specific error message, it says “Diablo IV has run out of memory and the application needs to exit” error while playing or launching the Diablo IV game on Windows PCs. Well, this particular error isn’t related to the storage. Whenever your PC’s memory (RAM) becomes low, out of memory error might appear often. Efficient RAM space can always determine how much of the information or cache data can be stored to run the game or program smoothly.
Eventually, this issue triggers game crashes, in-game lags, stutters, frame drops, and more. Though such kind of issues can only be resolved with the official patch updates permanently, you can try performing some of the workarounds as an advanced PC user or gamer that should come in handy. Luckily, we’ve mentioned all the possible methods to fix this issue. It’s recommended to follow all methods one by one until the problem gets fixed. So, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into it.
1. Check the Memory Usage of Diablo IV
First of all, you should check for the memory usage of Diablo IV to identify whether memory leakage is happening. To do that:
- Press the Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys to open Task Manager.
- Now, click on the Performance tab > Click on Memory.
- Here you’ll find out the amount of RAM that is being used by Diablo IV, which might help you in fixing this issue.
If in case, the RAM usage is higher or more than 80% and the CPU usage is optimal, then the chances are high that somehow the installed RAM space or the VRAM in your graphics card is most probably causing the out of memory error.
2. Reboot the PC
Restarting your computer after closing all the running programs is recommended to ensure there is no issue with the system glitch or cache data. Sometimes a temporary glitch can also occur multiple issues with the program running whatsoever.
3. Check for Overheating Issues
Do keep in mind that hardware overheating can also cause multiple issues with the system performance, program launching, and some other conflicts. You should always check for CPU overheating in most cases and GPU overheating sometimes to ensure everything is under control. If your PC build is good but the cooling or the cabinet airflow isn’t suitable enough then try upgrading the same.
4. Close Other Background Tasks
If somehow the Diablo IV game is still going through issues, make sure to close unnecessary third-party tasks by following the steps below.
Note: You should close the third-party background processes only. Don’t play with the system processes unless you’re aware of which task is doing what.
- Press the Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys to open Task Manager.
- Click on Processes > Click on the respective task to select.
- Now, click on End Task > Do the same steps for other tasks too.
- Once done, close Task Manager, and reboot the PC.
5. Update Diablo IV
It’s also suggested to check for the Diablo IV update on your respective gaming device by following the steps below to ensure there is no outdated game patch version troubling you. Sometimes an outdated game version can eventually trigger several issues with the out-of-memory error.
- Open the Battle.net (Blizzard) launcher.
- Click on the Blizzard logo from the top left corner.
- Go to Settings > Click on Game Install/Update.
- Click on Apply latest updates and download future patch data for recently played games to enable it.
- Now, click on Done to save changes > Restart the Battle.net launcher to apply changes.
- It should automatically update the game to the available version.
6. Repair Game Files
Sometimes missing or corrupted game files might trigger several issues that can be frustrating enough if the game doesn’t run or goes through some other issues. You can follow the steps below to verify and repair the installed game files.
- Open the Battle.net client on your PC.
- Click on the Diablo IV game.
- Now, click on OPTIONS (Gear icon) > Click on Scan and Repair.
- Choose Begin Scan and wait for the process to complete.
- Once done, close the Battle.net launcher, and restart your PC.
7. Check for GPU Driver Updates
Another thing you should do is update the graphics driver version on your PC by following the steps below. If there is an update available, make sure to install the same. An outdated GPU driver can cause several issues with the program launching such as in games or even out-of-memory errors. To do that:
- Press the Win+X keys to open the Quick Link Menu.
- Click on Device Manager from the list.
- Double-click on Display adapters to expand it.
- Right-click on the dedicated graphics card that’s active or you’re using.
- Now, click on Update driver > Click on Search automatically for drivers.
- It’ll now automatically check for the available update then download and install the latest version.
- Just wait for the same and reboot the PC to apply changes.
If there is no update available for your GPU then you can go to the official graphics card website from the links below and search for the model of your graphics manually. Make sure to download and install the latest GPU driver for your model number as per the manufacturer.
8. Adjust Diablo 4 Graphics Settings
You can also try adjusting or optimizing the Diablo IV graphics settings to increase performance and reduce RAM usage. If your PC configuration isn’t good enough or becomes old and you’re using the highest possible settings then make sure to adjust the in-game graphics settings to resolve such an issue. Sometimes out of memory issues might also occur due to VRAM-related memory leaks. So, reduce the in-game visual settings to a medium level and set the FPS limit to 60FPS.
9. Perform a Clean Boot
Some of the apps and their services may start automatically while booting the system right away. In that case, those apps or services will definitely gonna use a lot of internet connection as well as system resources. If you’re also feeling the same, make sure to perform a clean boot on your computer to check for the issue. To do that:
- Press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialogue box.
- Now, type msconfig and hit Enter to open System Configuration.
- Go to the Services tab > Enable the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Click on Disable all > Click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
- Now, go to the Startup tab > Click on Open Task Manager.
- The Task Manager interface will open. Here go to the Startup tab.
- Then click on the particular task which has a higher startup impact.
- Once selected, click on Disable to turn them off from the startup process.
- Do the same steps for each program that has a higher startup impact.
- Once done, make sure to restart your computer to apply changes.
10. Use the Disk Cleanup Tool
Sometimes it’s hard to understand what’s actually causing the out of memory error if the above methods didn’t work for you. In that case, you should use the disk cleanup tool on your Windows PC to ensure there is no issue with the storage or disk drive where you’ve installed the Diablo IV game. You can follow the steps below to free up some storage space.
- Open the Start menu > Search for Disk Cleanup and open it.
- Now, select the specific disk drive that you want to clean up.
- The Disk Cleanup Tool will scan the selected disk drive.
- Wait for the scanning process to complete.
- Once done, you’ll be manually able to free up temporary and unnecessary files by deleting them.
11. Scan for System File Issues
The System File Checker (SFC) is a utility in the Microsoft Windows system that’s located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. This utility tool or command simply helps users to scan for corrupted Windows system files and restore them (if any). To do this:
- Click on the Start Menu > Type cmd.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt program from the search result.
- Now, choose Run as administrator > If prompted by UAC, click on Yes.
- Type the following command and hit Enter to execute the System File Checker process.
- Have some patience until the process completes.
- Once done, close the command prompt window and reboot your PC/Laptop.
12. Reset the User Interface in Battle.net
Another possible reason behind the Diablo 4 run out of memory error is that somehow corrupted user interface files or add-ons. You can try resetting the user interface in the Battle.net client by following the steps below.
- Open the Battle.net launcher on the PC.
- Click on Options > Select Show in Explorer.
- Now, open the Diablo 4 folder.
- Make sure to Rename the Interface folder to InterfaceOld.
- Rename the Cache folder to CacheOld.
- Rename the WTF folders to WTFOld.
- Launch the game and check if the Diablo 4 Run Out of Memory Error has been resolved or not.
13. Try Increasing Virtual Memory
The chances are high that setting up the paging file size for the virtual memory should be equal to or higher than the RAM capacity of the system. Overall, you’ll have to increase the virtual memory size on your PC from the storage space so the respective game can run properly using the extra virtual memory space. If you want to change the virtual memory paging file size, then follow the steps below properly:
Please Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this process. The network policy settings may also cause such issues if your computer is connected to a network.
- Click on the Start menu > Search and open Control Panel.
- Click on Performance and Maintenance > Go to System.
- From the Advanced tab, click on Settings under Performance.
- On the Advanced tab, click on Change under Virtual memory.
- Under Drive [Volume Label], click on the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
- Under Paging file size for the selected drive, click on System Managed Size > Click on Set.
- If this option hasn’t been flagged, restart the PC after flagging it.
- Now, if the system paging file size is used to be System Managed, click on Custom Size under Paging file size for selected drive.
- Now, type a new paging file size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box. [It should be 1.5x-2x higher than the physical RAM]
- Finally, click on Set > Restart the PC and check if the Diablo 4 Run Out of Memory Error is troubling you or not.
14. Update Windows
Last but not the least, outdated system software might also trouble you a lot when it comes to the system performance or running of any program. You can try updating the system software always on your PC to maintain stability as well as performance.
- Press the Win+I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Click on Update & Security > Under the Windows Update option, click on Check for updates.
- If there is an update available, select Download and install.
- Wait for some time to complete the update.
- Once done, restart your computer to apply changes.
That’s it, guys. We hope this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.