Spelling mistakes are always inevitable when you are typing out quickly on any word processor. Online text processing app Google Docs comes with a default spell check mechanism. If you are typing some wrong word, then it will notify you and correct the same. Sometimes, users complain that this spelling check is not working on the app. In this guide, I have explained how to fix the same.
Now, you must be wondering why the hell this would happen in the first place.? It may happen due to some bug, any extension that you have installed on the browser, poor internet, error in the text format, etc. There are a few workarounds that I have listed that will easily fix the Google Docs spell check not working issue.
- How to Fix Google Docs Spell Check Not Working Issue
- Check Language Settings
- Error in the Text Format
- Using A Different Browser
- Try to Correct the Spelling Manually
- Clear the Cache and Data of Docs App [Smartphone Users]
- Update the Google Docs App[Smartphone Users]
- Clear Web Browser Data on Your PC
- Enable Spell Check on Docs
- Disable Extensions on Your Browser if Google Docs Spell Check Not Working
How to Fix Google Docs Spell Check Not Working Issue
Let us begin the troubleshooting. Before trying out any troubleshooting method, try to reload the Google Docs page once or twice. Then check whether the spell check is working or not. Maybe the web page did not load properly, which may cause the application’s functions not to work properly.
Check Language Settings
You should first check that you have set the correct language on your Google Docs app on your PC. Spellings will be different for various languages that are used globally.
- Go to File in the menu bar.
- Then expand Language > select your choice of language or check it’s the correct language you intend to compose your doc file.
Error in the Text Format
This can happen if you have copied the text to Google Docs from some other source. To fix that up, this is what you have to do.
- Right-click on the text field
- Select Paste without formatting [Try using the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+V]
- Then again, paste the text that you are copying to the Google Doc.
Using A Different Browser
Now, there is no exact reason why this spell check mechanism of Google Docs will not work on any browser. It may happen due to any temporary bug. Usually, most people have installed different browsers on their PCs. So, try to switch browsers. There are various efficient browsers like Chrome browser, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, etc.
If you still see the spell check on Google docs is not working after trying to open and edit the Doc file, then let it be. Try out the next troubleshooting method.
Try to Correct the Spelling Manually
I know this sounds funny, but if you have enough time for this, you may try to correct your own spelling.
- First, complete writing, editing or copy-pasting the document.
- Then watch out for all the paragraphs where mistakes are present.
- Then one-by-one, correct the mistakes.
The only catch is you must be sure that you are typing the exact correct spelling or phrase.
Clear the Cache and Data of Docs App [Smartphone Users]
Sometimes, if the old cached file keeps cluttering in the memory, it may cause the application to stutter. Some of the services of the app will get affected by that. So, try to clear the cache of the Docs app on your smartphone.
- Go to Settings > Apps & Notifications
- Then tap on See all Apps
- Please scroll down to Docs under App info and tap on it to open
- Tap on Storage & Cache
- Finally, tap on Clear Cache.
Update the Google Docs App[Smartphone Users]
If you are using the Docs app from your smartphone, then maybe some bug is causing the spell check to not work properly. So, look if there is any pending update that you need to install.
- Open Play Store > tap on the hamburger button.
- Then select My Apps & games.
- Then in the list of apps waiting for a new update, search for Docs app.
- If the app is on the list, then beside it, you should see an Update option. Tap on it
- Let the update install
- Then re-launch the Google docs app on your smartphone.
- Open the Doc file and check if now the spell check is working.
Clear Web Browser Data on Your PC
- Launch the web browser
- Click on the 3-dot button in the right-hand corner.
- Then from the menu, select Settings.
- Then in the search box, type Clear browsing data.
- Click on the yellow highlighted option Clear Browsing Data.
- As the dialog box opens, switch to the advanced tab.
- We need to clear the cached files and cookies. Keep them checked. However, uncheck the browsing history option to not lose the pages you frequently access your web browser.
- Finally, click on Clear Data.
- Close and re-launch the browser
- Open the Google Doc file and check if the spell check feature is now working or not.
Enable Spell Check on Docs
Maybe the spell check option got disabled for some reason. So, you need to check for the same and enable it. This is another simple workaround which users often forget about.
- Go to Tools > Spelling and Grammar.
- Check that Spelling and Grammar Check is enabled.
- Also, check that Show Spelling Suggestions and Show Grammar Suggestions are enabled.
Disable Extensions on Your Browser if Google Docs Spell Check Not Working
If you have installed browser extensions, then try to disable them and check if the spell check on Google Docs is now working or not. Not all the plugins that you have installed need to be causing the error in the spell-check.
If there is still no response to fix the spelling on your Google Docs file after disabling all the plugins, then try to enable the plugins one-by-one. Then see upon enabling which plugin the spell check does not work. It will take a while but will definitely help sort out the issue.
Alternatively, you can try to use the browser in incognito mode and open the Google Doc to create or edit your content. When the incognito mode is active, the extensions are disabled by default. Hence, you can use this method, as well.
So, these are the various workarounds that can definitely help you fix the issue of Google Docs spelling check not working on your devices. If you are a content creator of any kind, you know how important it is to use the correct spelling and grammar while delivering your content. Hence, try these troubleshooting methods I have explained and let me know what worked for you in the comments.
Other Guides on Google Docs,