Adobe InDesign is useful software and thus has a considerable number of users. However, recently several InDesign users have reportedly claimed about the “Cannot open the file. Adobe InDesign missing plug-ins. Please upgrade your plug-ins to their latest versions” error prompt. It appears when users are trying to open any file created with Adobe InDesign on their computer.
Table of Contents
Best 4 Ways to Fix Adobe InDesign Missing Plugins Error
The reason found behind the said issue is; when the File was created in one version of the software (ex. CS 5), but the user is trying to open it in another version like CS 5.5. The error can also occur from some specific plug-ins used to create the file which users are trying to open. However, the issue is resolvable, and one can get rid of it by using any of the fixes mentioned below:
FIX 1: Update your Adobe InDesign:
The primary fix for the “Adobe InDesign Missing Plugins Error” is to update your Adobe InDesign. Most of the time, the latest update of any software usually resolves the existing errors and adds some other useful features. Thus, here, in this case, it is advisable to update your Adobe InDesign software to the latest version available. For doing so,
- Firstly, visit the Official Adobe website and then navigate further to download the latest release of Adobe InDesign.
- Now follow all the steps as instructed upon the screen and further complete the process.
Further, follow FIX 2 closely.
FIX 2: Remove the plug-in information from your File:
The above fix will resolve the “Adobe InDesign Missing Plugins Error”; however still the software prompts missing plug-ins; follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, open Adobe InDesign.
- Now navigate to the top-left corner and click on File. From the context menu, click on the option Export.
- Now Export File to .idml format. You can find and open the .idml format in any older versions of Adobe InDesign.
- After launching it in your InDesign (ex. CS3), you can further Save the File to .inx format and then export it to .indd file format for removing all the plug-in information stored into that File.
- Once you are done with the entire process, try to load the relevant page that was showing the “Adobe InDesign Missing Plugins Error” and check whether it got resolved or if it persists.
FIX 3: Ensure If Your System meets Minimum Requirements for InDesign and Plug-in:
Some plug-ins or suites of plug-ins, are designed for extremely complex or dedicated tasks, and thus they require more memory within the system than the Adobe InDesign need. If you are using any third-party plug-ins to create an earlier version of the document, ensure that they meet the minimum system requirements, are installed correctly, and are compatible with the Adobe InDesign version that users are choosing to convert the document.
FIX 4: Use InEXUtils for Adobe InDesign CC2017:
In case none of the above-mentioned fixes work for you, consider using the InEXUtils for Adobe InDesign CC2017. This fix has worked for a lot of suffered users and has further resolved the “Adobe InDesign Missing Plugins Error.” Follow the steps given below,
- Firstly, Download and install the InEXUtils plug-in.
- Once the installation process is completed, open the File in Adobe InDesign.
- Now on the top of the screen, next to the Help tab, click on the InEXUtils option.
- From it, drop-down, click on the option Ignore missing plug-ins (All docs) and then lastly, save your Adobe InDesign file once again.
- Now finally, check whether the “Adobe InDesign Missing Plugins Error” got resolved or not.
The “Cannot open the file. Adobe InDesign missing plug-ins. Please upgrade your plug-ins to their latest versions” error is a troublesome situation that can refrain the users from using the InDesign file.
However, from the list of fixes mentioned in this article above, we hope you will resolve the discussed issue. We have tried to include the best possible ways from which one or the other would help easily in your case. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.