As an avid Android user or a developer, there is plenty of options or customizations to do on your Android device. As we all know that the Linux-platform based Android is open-source software and offers unlimited tweaks, changes than any other mobile operating system. While the Android users prefer to flash Custom Firmware, Custom Recovery, installing mods, and root as well. But each and every smartphone OEMs ship their devices with a locked bootloader due to some security reasons. Now, if you’re using Moto G8 Plus and want to customize your device by flashing Custom ROM or Rooting, then you have to unlock the device bootloader at first. Here in this guide, we will share with you the steps on How to Unlock Bootloader on Moto G8 Plus device easily.
Unlocking the device bootloader is mandatory if you’re going to customize or tweak your device. Bootloader unlocking will let you flash any custom firmware, module, recovery, or enabling root access easily on your Android handset. Here we have provided the device specifications, unlock bootloader overview, download links, pre-requirements, and the complete unlocking process below.
Table of Contents
Moto G8 Plus Specifications: Overview
The Moto G8 Plus smartphone was launched in October 2019. It comes with a 6.3-inches IPS LCD display with a 1080×2280 pixels resolution and a 19:9 aspect ratio as well. It’s powered by an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 SoC, coupled with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of internal storage. While the storage can be expandable up to 512GB via a MicroSD card.
The device runs on Android 9.0 Pie with pure Android UI out-of-the-box. It sports a non-removable 4,000 mAh battery which supports fast charging as well. In terms of the camera department, the Moto G8 Plus has a triple rear camera setup of a 48 MP primary (f/1.79) + a secondary 16 MP camera (f/2.2) + a third 5MP camera (f/2.2). While it has PDAF, HDR, Panorama, and an LED flash. On the front side, the handset features a 25 MP selfie shooter with an f/2.0 aperture lens.
The Moto G8 Plus includes Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, GPS, A-GPS, Bluetooth 5.0, USB Type-C port, FM Radio, 3G/4G dual nano-SIM, and more. In terms of the sensors, it packs an accelerometer, an ambient light sensor, compass, gyro, proximity, and a fingerprint sensor.
What is Unlock Bootloader?
A Bootloader is a code that runs when we turn on our device. This code initializes some hardware and then loads the kernel and ramdisk, and gets the boot process going. So this process is known as Bootloader. The same concept applies to all the technical stuff such as Laptops, PC, Smartphones, and any such device. Every Android OEM manufacturers lock the bootloader even though it is an Open Source. So if you want to try any Custom ROM, it is impossible to load the Custom Firmware without the Unlock Bootloader. So Manufacturer made a policy of making the smartphone with Unlocked Bootloader will void the warranty. They want you to stick with the Stock ROM. Unlock Bootloader allows you to Root your android smartphone, Flash TWRP and Custom ROM in a simple easy method.
- To unlock bootloader on Moto G8 Plus, you need a laptop or PC.
- Charge the Moto G8 Plus to a sufficient battery level to avoid any sudden shutdowns during the process.
- We strongly recommend you to take a complete full backup of your personal data, including the internal storage. The phone will be formatted, so be prepared for it. You can also follow our Android backup guide for the same.
- You need a USB cable to connect your phone to the PC.
- Get the Unlock Code from Motorola Official Bootloader unlock page here.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader on Moto G8 Plus
- First of all, enable the Developer Option.
- To Enable the Developer Option, Go to your Settings -> About -> Software Information -> More -> Now Tap on the Build Number 7-8 Times until you see a toast message “Developer option enabled”.
- Go back to settings -> Now you need to enable the OEM Unlock by going to Settings -> Developer Option and Enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging.
- Download and Extract the Downloaded ADB fastboot Zip file on your PC.
- Now, connect your phone to the Computer using USB Cable.
- When you connect your Phone to Computer, please wait until all the drivers get installed.
- In your ADB fastboot folder open a command prompt window by pressing Shift Key + Right Mouse Click.
- Now, type the command in your command window
- If you see a pop up to allow USB Debugging on your phone, Click OK
- Now type the command below to reboot your phone to bootloader
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your phone reboots into bootloader, make sure your phone shows the bootloader locked and then type the command below to make sure fastboot drivers are installed properly.
- This command will list the connected devices. If your phone’s serial number shows up you are good to go and may continue. If the phone is NOT listed this indicates that your drivers are not installed correctly. To continue the setup, you must fix your drivers to list your device under fastboot devices.
- If the phone is recognized by the command above, proceed to boot into bootloader by tapping down the volume down button on your phone and select the BOOT TO DOWNLOAD MODE option with power key. Now you can unlock the bootloader with the following command: Remember that this step will wipe EVERYTHING off the phone
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- Now command will return a string which you need to copy the string to notepad with a single line by deleting all space
(Note: Only copy the highlighted sections above. Do not copy the INFO or (bootloader) prefix)
- To Get Bootloader Key for Moto G8 Plus – Open the website Motorola’s unlock the bootloader site by Signing up or log in via Google Plus account
- Now paste the string from Notepad to the box shown on the website (Check Screenshot below)
- Once you click the “Can my device be unlocked?” you will receive a mail with the unlock key.
- Now copy the unlock key and type the following command and enter.
fastboot oem unlock UNLOCK_KEY
Here UNLOCK_Key is the place where you have to paste the unlock key which you copied from the email.
- That’s it! Your device will unlock. Have fun!
- Now you can reboot your device either by the power button, or you can reboot using the command
- You’re done.
We hope this guide was helpful to the Unlock Bootloader on Moto G8 Plus. For any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.