In this guide, we will go over several methods and techniques that have helped many players install GOG games on their Steam Deck. Almost every video game player is aware that Steam is a very popular platform for playing and purchasing games. Steam offers multiple games to download and play, but it offers something more. You might not be aware that the Steam platform also allows you to install GOG (Good Old Games) games on your Steam deck.
GOG games are loaded with additional features to make the game more enjoyable. The platform provides games of various genres, be they RPGs, strategy games, adventure games, or any of them. It has all of them in its own library. The games are free to download from GOG and can be distributed and modified with no restrictions.
In the present time, many players are wondering how they can install GOG games on their Steam library. This guide will provide you with full information regarding installing GOG games on your Steam Deck, i.e., adding GOG games to your Steam library as well as fetching them.
How to Install GOG Games on Steam Deck
Before heading to the procedure, please note that the games that will be installed outside of the Steam platform will be stored on the internal storage and not on the microSD card. So, please make sure that your Steam deck has enough internal storage to install GOG games. The internal storage of your steam deck may vary depending on the variant you choose. (64GB, 256GB, or 512GB). keeping things as transparent as a glass of water. We need an open-source application to install on our Steam deck that is called Heroic Games Launcher.
Moving to our first step we need to boot into desktop of Linux environment. The steps to boot in desktop mode is as follows:
- Press the left-side button on your Steam deck to open the sidebar menu.
- When the sidebar menu appears, select the option “Power.”
- A new box will pop up; now finally select “Switch to Desktop.”
- You can also quickly access the power menu by holding down the power button for a few seconds. When the power menu appears, just select “Switch to Desktop.”
- After selecting “Switch to Desktop,” Steam will now boot up into the full KDE Linux OS/Environment. You will witness the same Linux OS on a normal PC running Linux.
Note: When desktop mode is successfully booted up, Just launch the Steam application so that we can access the on-screen keyboard in the background for searching things.
Installing the Heroic Games Launcher
Heroic Launcher is designed that it can run both GOG games as well as the Epic Store games. This supports multiple platforms, including the Linux operating system. As a result, the Heroic Games Launcher will be compatible with the Steam Deck.
- Navigate, and now click on the Discover icon on the taskbar.
- Locate and click on the search bar on the left-side menu.
- When the cursor starts blinking, hold down the Steam button and X at the same time to launch the on-screen keyboard.
- Now, using the on-screen keyboard, type “Heroic Games Launcher” and finally hit enter.
- When the launcher shows up in the search, hit the install button and wait for the installation to complete.
- After it has been successfully installed, press the launch button to bring up the main screen of the heroic game launcher.
- On the screen, there will be two options, as we are only focusing on GOG games and not epic games.
- Hit the Login button under GoG games, and a new screen will be shown.
- Now enter your credentials (username and password) and click on “login.”
- After you have successfully logged into the Heroic games launcher. Navigate to library section and now you can install any game you want of your choice.
Now that you have installed the game, you can easily launch and play it, but we do recommend adding it to your Steam library so that your gameplay experience will be enhanced to the fullest.
Adding GOG games in Steam Deck Library
After installing your preferred game, you are good to launch it and play. However, there are some drawbacks, such as having to switch to desktop mode every time you want to play GOG games. Well, do not worry; we do have a solution for that. Just follow the additional steps for smooth and hassle-free gameplay on your Steam deck.
- While in desktop mode, launch the Steam application.
- Navigate to the games section on the title bar and click on it.
- A small pop-up will appear below the Games section; now select “Add a Non Steam game to My Library”.
- A new window will open; now browse the installed games on your Steam library. (You can do it easily by just scrolling to the bottom, as there are chances that they will be listed there.)
- Finally, select the game and click on “Add selected programs.”
- Ultimately, close the Steam application, and on the desktop, click on “Return to gaming mode.”
Now you will be returned to the default Steam OS, where you generally find your installed Steam games.
Fetching GOG games in Steam Deck Library
After you have added the installed games to the Steam library, It’s time to fetch them in the Steam Deck library, so that you can play the game easily with zero inconveniences.
- Again, press the left-side button on your Steam deck to open the sidebar menu.
- When the menu appears, select the “Library” option.
- As the Steam library launches, head over to the “Non-Steam Games Section.” All of the newly added GOG games are listed here.
Now you can easily play GOG games on your Steam Deck without switching to desktop mode.
It is seen in some cases when you head to the “non-steam” games section. You see that the games have no description or any sort of picture or logo. It is quite obvious as you have installed it from an outside (third-party) source. Also, be cautious when installing games from third parties, as they may cause your Steam deck to malfunction.
Games installed from sources other than the Steam library may also fail to function properly, unlike official Steam games. You may find lags or some input issues that can be solved by connecting a keyboard, joypad, or mouse. However, all the stuff is experimental, and if you follow all the steps carefully, there will be no issue and you will end up enjoying the GOG games on your Steam Deck.