Finally, Android 10 is official and so the AOSP 10 Source code. Asus Zenfone 6 (Codenamed I01WD) is now getting the unofficial version of Lineage OS 17 developed by OrdenKrieger, XDA Senior Member on XDA forum. Full credits to him and Lineage team. Now you can install Lineage OS 17 on Asus Zenfone 6 which is stable enough to use as a daily driver.
Android 10 is Google’s 10th version of Android OS with plenty of new features and system UI changes. Google doesn’t come with any dessert item name for the new Android version this time and that’s a good move. If you’re new to the Android ecosystem, it’s worth mentioning that Android is an Open Source Project (AOSP) by Google. With the new released Android 10 source code, the Lineage team has started working on Lineage OS 17 for all the supported device.
To install Lineage OS 17 on your Asus Zenfone 6, you need to unlock bootloader and running latest TWRP Recovery. If you are on the old version, you will see error 7 warning text while installing the custom ROM on Zenfone 6 (I01WD) device.
What’s on Android 10 version?
Google has officially unveiled the latest version of Android OS called Android 10. The update is already went live for Pixel series devices. It brings plenty of new features to the device system like system UI, new gesture navigation, improved privacy and location control. The update also offers enhanced app permissions, foldable display support, security features, system-wide dark mode, etc.
The Android 10 also offers built-in call screening, multi-camera API, smart replies in the notification panel, 5G support, improved call quality, bubble feature, live caption, and more. While the latest version also improves battery life, Focus mode which is similar to the Do Not Disturb mode, etc. Apart from that Android 10 also features 65 new emojis. It also comes with direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices.
Lineage OS 17: Android 10 Build
Lineage OS is an open-source and free operating system which is based on the Android platform. It is the successor to the custom MOD, the CyanogenMod, which shut down its operation in December 2016. However, Cyanogen. Inc retained the rights to the custom MOD and gave a rebranding to it as Lineage OS.
Well, LineageOS 17 will be based on the latest Android 10 and it comes with all the Android 10 features and Lineage customization options which allows users to be more advanced. Now you can enjoy Lineage OS 17 on Asus Zenfone 6 (I01WD) by flashing this custom ROM.
What's Working and What's not?
- RIL ( Data,SMS,Calls )
- Video Playback
- SELinux is permissive
- Recovery broken
- Probably more
Steps to Install Lineage OS 17 ROM on Asus Zenfone 6 (I01WD)
First, unlock the Zenfone 6 bootloader and flash the latest TWRP Recovery. Here we have mentioned all the requirements and download links to flash the Lineage OS 17 on Zenfone 6.
- This is Android 10 based Lineage OS 17 file and supported for Asus Zenfone 6 (I01WD) only.
- You will require to unlock the device bootloader at first.
- You need TWRP Recovery on Asus Zenfone 6 (I01WD)
- Download the required TWRP file, LineageOS 17 zip file, and Supported GApps file from below.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
Instructions to Install:
- Make sure that you have downloaded all the required files on your device.
- Both slots “_a” and “_b” must be flashed with stock firmware, otherwise, you will brick your device!: Link
- Now, copy the TWRP image file, GApps file, and ROM zip file to your device internal storage.
- Next, reboot your Zenfone 6 into recovery mode.
- You will boot into TWRP Recovery mode.
- In recovery menu, tap on Install button > Install Image > Select the TWRP Image file from the location where you have moved earlier.
- Swipe to confirm flash.
- Now, reboot to recovery mode again.
- In the TWRP menu, go to Wipe section.
- Select Advanced Wipe > Select the data, system, vendor, cache. Then swipe to wipe it.
- Flash the ROM zip file from the Install option.
- The system will be mounted already Uncheck it & Remount system and vendor manually. Then flash Gapps zip file as well.
- Finally, reboot your phone into a new system. Wait for it, as the boot process will take a few minutes.
- That’s it. Enjoy!
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the Lineage OS 17 on your Zenfone 6 (I01WD) handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.
Asus Zenfone 6 Specifications and Features
The Asus Zenfone 6 sports a huge 6.4-inches IPS LCD touch display with a resolution of 1080 × 2340 pixels. There is no notch or punch-hole camera on the display which offers a 92% screen-to-body ratio. It’s pack with the Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection and has a full glass body. It powers with Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 SoC and paired with up to 8GB of RAM. The phone also comes with up to 256GB of internal storage. While the storage can be expandable up to 200GB via a dedicated MicroSD card slot.
The handset packs a motorized flip-up all-in-one camera module of a 48MP (f/1.8) Sony IMX586 sensor and a 13MP (f/2.4) ultrawide-angle lens along with an LED flash. The camera module will work on both sides for taking rear and selfie cameras by flipping up the module. It’s a motorized module which works perfectly and quite quickly as well. The Zenfone 6 (2019) is powered by Android 9.0 Pie with ZenUI 6 out-of-the-box. It packs a 5,000 mAh battery with Quick Charge 4.0 fast charging support. The handset also features a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor which is quite faster than its predecessor.
The device also includes Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, GPS, A-GPS, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, USB Type-C port, 3G/4G LTE, dual Nano-SIM, etc. Meanwhile, the phone includes accelerometer, ambient light, compass, gyro, proximity sensor, etc. The Asus ZenFone 6 (2019) measures 159.10 × 75.44 × 8.40mm and weighs around 190 grams. It’s available in Midnight Black and Twilight Silver color options.