Xiaomi Mi A1 (tissot) launched in September 2017. The phone came out of the box with Android 7.1.2 Nougat and later upgrade to Android 8.0 Oreo. While it ultimately boils down to personal preference, yet there is no denying the fact that MIUI is hands down among the most customizable and feature-rich Android skin. And with each new iteration of MIUI, the Chinese OEM keeps on adding some pretty nifty and important features to its customized OS. However there are many users out who don’t have a Xiaomi or Redmi device, but still, wish to get a taste of the MIUI 12 builds. Well, thanks to the open-source nature of Android, this is very much possible. Users having the Xiaomi Mi A1 device could now install the latest MIUI 12 Ported ROM on Xiaomi Mi A1.
Since it is a Custom ROM, there are a few prerequisites to keep in mind. One of them requires an unlocked bootloader. Apart from that, you might also need a custom recovery like TWRP. This is because you cannot flash any custom ROM via the stock recovery. Apart from that, there are some other important prerequisites that your device should meet, which we have mentioned in the respective section. We will also be listing out the steps to install MIUI 12 ported ROM on Xiaomi Mi A1 device. But before that, let’s check out the feature list of MIUI 12.
Talking about the specifications, Xiaomi Mi A1 features a 5.5-inches display with a screen resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels. It is powered by Qualcomm MSM8953 Snapdragon 625 processor coupled with 4GB of RAM. The phone packs 64GB of internal memory. The camera on the Xiaomi Mi A1 comes with Dual 12 MP and 5MP front shooting cameras. It is backed by a Non-removable Li-Ion 3080 mAh battery with a fast battery charging 5V/2A. It also has Fingerprint on the back.
MIUI 12: Whats New?
Here are some of the noteworthy features of the latest MIUI 12.
Improved Dark Mode
Although Dark was still there in MIUI 11, the new iteration of MUI has bought in some pretty nifty changes to it. it has now introduced the wallpaper dimming functionality, which automatically dims the brightness of the wallpaper as per the time of the day. Furthermore, there are some changes to the text as well. The contrast of the text is also now self-adjustable according to the time of the day. This proves to be a big boon for the users who use their devices at night or under low lighting conditions.
Sensory Visual Desing
The Sensory Visual Design functionality allows you to view all the important device information in one single place. These include the information related to battery screen on time, DND, and other device-related functionalities. All these are shown in detailed graphs or visually appealing diagrams and flowcharts.
There’s also a slew of new animations added to the latest MIUI 12. These include the realistic weather animations, real-time weather changes, and even some animations to the app icons when you interact with them. Furthermore, some animation sounds have also made its way in this MIUI version.
Who doesn’t love cool terrestrial wallpapers? Xiaomi has added some 3D models of Earth and Mars in the set of Super Wallpapers belonging to the geographic domain. Both these wallpapers, apart from being aesthetically pleasing, has some nifty tricks up its sleeves. The best part about these wallpapers is that they change their color based on the time of the day. Furthermore, just like any other wallpaper, you could set them as either as a lock screen or the home screen wallpaper.
With a big screen comes bigger responsibility! Nowadays most of the devices have screen sizes over 6.3 inches. One of the major drawbacks of these large screen sizes is the inability of many to reach the notification panel. However, the Chinese OEM seems to have made a note of the same and has added a new gesture to MIUI 12. You no longer need to reach the top of the notification bar to access the notifications. A simple swipe down from anywhere on the screen should now do the job for you.
Well, these are just some of the important feautres of MIUI 12. For the complete list, refer to our detailed guide on MIUI 12. With that said, here is how to Install MIUI 12 Ported ROM on the Xiaomi Mi A1 device.
- Most common problems of Xiaomi Mi A1 and Their solution and bug fixes
- List of Best Custom ROM for Xiaomi Mi A1 [Updated]
- How To Root and Install Official TWRP Recovery For Xiaomi Mi A1
- Download and Install Lineage OS 17.1 for Xiaomi Mi A1 based on Android 10 Q
- Download and install AOSP Android 10 Q ROM for Xiaomi Mi A1
MIUI 12 Ported ROM for Xiaomi Mi A1
Before we list out the steps to do so, please go through the below requirements section and make sure your device follows each one of them.
- Your device should have an unlocked bootloader. If you haven’t done so, refer to our guide on how to unlock the bootloader on Xiaomi Mi A1.
- Next up, also make sure that the TWRP Recovery is installed on your device. The linked post also shows the steps to root your device. However, that is not compulsory, it is optional. You may easily skip it. However, if you wish to root, then please do so after flashing the below MIUI 12 ported ROM by flashing the Magiks ZIP via TWRP.
- Likewise, create a complete backup of your Android device. This is because you will have to wipe off data before flashing the ROM.
That is all the requirements that you will be needing. Now let us check out some of the features of this ROM. After this, we will show you how to install MIUI 12 on your Xiaomi Mi A1 device.
You might want to check out how the MIUI 12 ported ROM will look on your Xiaomi Mi A1. In this regard, we have added a few screenshots that might give an idea or two of the same.
Download MIUI 12 for Xiaomi Mi A1
You could now download the MIUI 12 ported ROM for your device from the below link. Once you have downloaded it, transfer it to your device. It is recommended to move it to the SD card or the Pen Drive (via USB OTG cable), However, if that is not possible, you could still transfer it to your phone memory. This is because we won’t be wiping the internal memory.
- Download MIUI 12: Link
- Transfer the ROM to your device and boot it to the TWRP recovery using the hardware key combinations.
- Once done, head over to Wipe and select System, Vendor, Cache, Dalvik, and Data. Perform a right swipe to wipe the selected partitions.
- Now go back to the TWRP main menu and this time tap on Install.
- Navigate to the downloaded ROM, select it, and perform a right swipe to install it on your Xiaomi Mi A1 device.
- Finally, head back to Reboot and tap on System. Your device will now boot to the newly installed OS!
So with this, we conclude the guide on how to install the MIUI 12 ported ROM on your Xiaomi Mi A1 device. Do keep in mind that the first boot will take time. It is completely normal. Furthermore, you will also have to set up your device from scratch. Once that is done, we would love to hear your views on the newly installed Xiaomi’s customized Android OS skin on your Xiaomi Mi A1 device. Do drop in your views in the comments section below. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Trick that you should check out as well.