The popular G series from Motorola received a refresh this year, and we now have the G9 series from Motorola. The Motorola Moto G9 Plus was launched on the 7th of September, and it does a lot of things right. The device came out of the box with Android 10 and promised to receive the official Android 11 version.
If you’re using the Motorola Moto G9 Plus device and want to enable root access via Magisk then this guide is for you. In this guide, we have shared with you the steps to Root Moto G9 Plus using Magisk without TWRP in a very simple way for your ease.
In order to root your Moto G9 Plus, we will use the Magisk to patch the stock boot image and flash that to your device boot partition. Now, if you ask why Magisk? It’s a system-less root process that doesn’t tamper with the system partitions while enabling root access. Magisk can also hide online security measures to work apps properly like any banking app, SafetyNet, etc.
Moto G9 Plus Specifications: Overview
The Moto G9 Plus features a 6.81-inch IPS LCD panel with support for HDR10. There is no high refresh rate for the display. And we are stuck at the standard 60 Hz. As for the resolution, we have 1080 x 2400 pixels on a screen with an aspect ratio of 20:9. Under the hood, we have the Qualcomm Snapdragon 730G, which is an upper mid-range processor from Qualcomm built on an 8nm manufacturing process. It is an octa-core processor with two Kryo 470 Gold cores clocked at 2.2 GHz and six Kryo 470 Silver cores clocked at 1.8 GHz. And for graphics-intensive tasks, we have the Adreno 618.
It comes with Android 10 out of the box with Moto’s near-stock UI on top of it. There are two storage variants of the phone: 4GB+128GB and 6GB+128GB. But there is a hybrid slot for MicroSD storage expansion. Further, in terms of optics, we have a quad-camera setup at the back, which consists of a 64MP primary sensor paired with an f/1.8 lens, an 8MP ultrawide sensor paired with an f/2.2 lens, a 2 MP depth sensor paired with an f/2.4 lens, and a 2MP macro sensor paired with an f/2.4 lens. This setup is capable of capturing 4K videos at 30 fps and 1080p videos at 30/60/120 fps. Coming to the front, we get a 16 MP sensor with an f/2.0 lens.
In terms of connectivity, we have Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS, NFC, FM radio, and USB Type-C 2.0. When it comes to sensors, we have all the basics, including an accelerometer, gyro, proximity, and a side-mounted fingerprint sensor embedded into the power button. The Moto G9 Plus battery is a 5000 mAh cell that supports up to 30W of fast charging. This smartphone is available in two color options: Rose Gold and Indigo Blue. As for the price, the device starts from a price tag of $ 229.99, which translates to roughly around 17,000 INR.
Steps To Root Moto G9 Plus Using Magisk
Follow the full depth guide along with the requirements and download links below.
Keep in mind:
- Rooting may void the manufacturer’s warranty on your device.
- Rooting will block the firmware OTA updates.
Now, let’s head over to some of the necessary steps which you need to abide by:
- Your phone should have a battery juice of more than 60% at least.
- Keep a backup of your device data at first. Therefore, if anything goes wrong, you can get back the important data.
- The image file in this article is supported by the Moto G9 Plus model only. DO NOT try to flash it on other models.
- You will also require a PC/Laptop and a USB cable in order to connect your device with the computer.
- You should download all the necessary files, tools, and drivers from below accordingly.
1. How to Extract and Patch Boot.image using Magisk?
- First of all, download and extract the ROM to your PC.
- Attach your device via USB cable and copy only the boot.img file from the extracted folder to your device storage
- Launch Magisk Manager. When a popup appears asking to install Magisk, select INSTALL and choose install again.
- Tap on “Patch Boot Image File”.
- Navigate to internal storage and select your phone’s boot image that you transferred earlier.
- Wait for a couple of seconds. Magisk will start patching the boot image.
- Once the boot image has been patched, copy the “patched_boot.img” from the internal storage and replace it in the same extracted ROM folder on your PC.
Now you can follow the second step to flash the patched boot image file.
2. Steps To Install the Patched Boot Image on Moto G9 Plus
Follow the proper guide to install Patched Boot Image on Moto G9 Plus from the below link:
- Now, extract the ADB & Fastboot tool, then move the patched boot image file to the same folder.
- Press and hold down the Shift key + right-mouse-click to open the command window/PowerShell.
- Next, enter the following command in order to flash the “patched_boot.img” to install Magisk and root your Android device:
fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
- For devices with an A/B partition system, you have to use the following commands:
fastboot flash boot_a patched_boot.img fastboot flash boot_b patched_boot.img
Please replace [patched_boot.img] with the name of the boot image file you downloaded followed by the .img extension.
- Wait for the flashing process to complete.
- Finally, type in the command to reboot your device.
- That’s it.
Steps to Verify the Systemless Root
- Launch the Magisk Manager app on your device.
- Now, in order to verify the systemless root access on your phone, you will see the status screen. Here all options should be green ticked if properly rooted. If yes, that means you’ve successfully bypassed the Google SafetyNet measure as well.
That’s it, guys. We hope that you’ve found this guide useful and have successfully rooted your Moto G9 Plus device. For any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.