Poco officially pulled the curtains on their latest M series smartphone, the Poco M3. It was launched officially on the 24th of November, but most of the specifications of the smartphone were already leaked or tweeted out by the company before the release. This was a highly anticipated device in the budget segment as the M series from Poco is very well taken, specifically by the Indian demographic.
If you’re using the Poco M3 (citrus) device and want to enable root access via Magisk then this guide is for you. In this guide, we have shared with you the steps to Root Poco M3 using Magisk without TWRP in a very simple way for your ease.
In order to root your Poco M3, we will use the Magisk to patch the stock boot image and flash that to your device’s boot partition. Now, if you ask why Magisk? It’s a system-less root process that doesn’t tamper with the system partitions while enabling root access. Magisk can also hide online security measures to work apps properly like any banking app, SafetyNet, etc.
Xiaomi Poco M3 Specifications:
The smartphone features a 6.53 inch IPS LCD with an FHD+ resolution and an aspect ratio of 19.5:9. This is not a high refresh rate panel like some other Poco devices. Under the hood, we have the mid-range Qualcomm Snapdragon 662 which comes with the Adreno 610 GPU. This is not a blazing fast processor by any means, but it can handle most tasks quite easily. It is one of the most widely used processors for mid-range or budget Android devices.
At the back, we get a dual-tone design with one tone holding the triple camera setup. Here, we get a 48 MP primary sensor with an f/1.8 lens, a 2 MP macro sensor with an f/2.4 lens, and a 2 MP depth sensor with an f/2.4 lens. The primary comes with phase detection autofocus for better focus speeds. As for the front side, we get a single 8 MP sensor with an f/2.1 lens. It is housed in a water drop style at the top.
We get two storage variants with the Poco M3 with only a single RAM option: 4GB+64GB and 4GB+128GB. In terms of connectivity, we do get all the basics, Wi-Fi 802.11, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS, Infrared port, FM radio, and USB Type-C 2.0. But the most striking features of the device are its huge 6,000mAh battery and dual speaker setup for stereo. It supports fast charging of up to 18W and one can even charge other devices using the Poco M3, that is it even doubles up as a power bank for other devices. We get three color options with this smartphone: Cool Blue, Poco Yellow, and Power Black.
Also Read: Download Google Camera for Xiaomi Poco M3
Steps To Root Poco M3 (citrus) Using Magisk
Follow the full depth guide along with the requirements and download links below.
Keep in mind:
- Rooting may void the manufacturer’s warranty on your device.
- Rooting will block the firmware OTA updates.
Now, let’s head over to some of the necessary steps which you need to abide by:
- You need to unlock the bootloader on your Poco M3
- Your phone should have a battery juice of more than 60% at least.
- Keep a backup of your device data at first. Therefore, if anything goes wrong, you can get back the important data.
- The image file in this article is supported by the Poco M3 (citrus) model only. DO NOT try to flash it on other models.
- You will also require a PC/Laptop and a USB cable in order to connect your device with the computer.
- You should download all the necessary files, tools, and drivers from below accordingly.
1. How to Extract and Patch Boot.image using Magisk?
- First of all, download and extract the ROM to your PC.
- Attach your device via USB cable and copy only the boot.img file from the extracted folder to your device storage
- Launch Magisk Manager. When a popup appears asking to install Magisk, select INSTALL and choose install again.
- Tap on “Patch Boot Image File”.
- Navigate to internal storage and select your phone’s boot image that you transferred earlier.
- Wait for a couple of seconds. Magisk will start patching the boot image.
- Once the boot image has been patched, copy the “patched_boot.img” from the internal storage and replace it in the same extracted ROM folder on your PC.
Now you can follow the second step to flash the patched boot image file.
2. Steps To Install the Patched Boot Image on Poco M3
Follow the proper guide to install Patched Boot Image on Poco M3 from the below link:
- Now, extract the ADB & Fastboot tool, then move the patched boot image file to the same folder.
- Press and hold down the Shift key + right-mouse-click to open the command window/PowerShell.
- Next, enter the following command in order to flash the “patched_boot.img” to install Magisk and root your Android device:
fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
- For devices with A/B partition system, you have to use the following commands:
fastboot flash boot_a patched_boot.img fastboot flash boot_b patched_boot.img
Please replace [patched_boot.img] with the name of the boot image file you downloaded followed by the .img extension.
- Wait for the flashing process to complete.
- Finally, type in the command to reboot your device.
- That’s it.
Steps to Verify the Systemless Root
- Launch the Magisk Manager app on your device.
- Now, in order to verify the systemless root access on your phone, you will see the status screen. Here all options should be green ticked if properly rooted. If yes, that means you’ve successfully bypassed the Google SafetyNet measure as well.
That’s it, guys. We hope that you’ve found this guide useful and have successfully rooted your Poco M3 (citrus) device. For any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.