Motorola Razr 40 Ultra and Razr 40 have been finally launched in India. The Razr 40 Ultra has a large 3.6-inch outer display and a Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 SoC. On the other hand, the more affordable Razr 40 features a smaller 1.5-inch outer display and gets a Snapdragon 7 Gen 1 chipset. In this tutorial, we will share an in-depth guide to Unlock Bootloader on Motorola Razr 40 and 40 Ultra via ADB Fastboot. The model numbers are XT2321-3. Like Android smartphones, the Motorola Razr 40 and 40 Ultra handsets also have a locked bootloader. Therefore, it can be unlocked easily with a few steps mentioned below.
If you are new to rooting, you should know that the unlocking bootloader of an Android device is the first and most important step in the Android rooting process.
Motorola Razr 40 and 40 Ultra Device Overview:
The Motorola Razr 40 and Razr 40 Ultra are stunning manifestations of Motorola’s commitment to the foldable smartphone domain. Both models flaunt a 6.9-inch foldable pOLED display, but the Razr 40 Ultra edges ahead with a 165Hz refresh rate and a superior 1,200 nits brightness, whereas the Razr 40 settles at 144Hz. Additionally, the Razr 40 Ultra boasts a larger 3.6-inch pOLED external panel, outclassing the Razr 40’s modest 1.5-inch exterior screen.
In terms of performance, the Razr 40 Ultra is driven by the cutting-edge Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 SoC, in contrast to the Razr 40’s Snapdragon 7 Gen 1. Both phones house up to 8GB RAM and 256GB storage. Camera configurations differ too, with the Ultra version embracing a 12-megapixel primary sensor and 13-megapixel ultra-wide lens, while the Razr 40 sports a prominent 64-megapixel main camera alongside a 12-megapixel ultra-wide module. Each device is equipped with a 32-megapixel inside camera for personal capture.
Battery capacities and charging capabilities present another dimension of distinction. The Razr 40 Ultra carries a 3,800mAh battery and offers 8W wireless charging, while the Razr 40 packs a heftier 4,200mAh battery, with both devices supporting 30W fast wired charging.
Unlock Bootloader: Overview
The bootloader program is responsible for starting the correct operating system on a device when it’s powered on. It packages the instructions to boot the OS from the kernel. This applies to devices such as smartphones, tablets, and PCs.
Having a Locked or Unlocked Bootloader determines whether you can easily root a device. If you root your device, you’ll have superuser or administrator access to the operating system running on your phone. This means you can make changes to some system settings, manage customizations, make tweaks, and more.
However, unlocking your Android Device Bootloader may pose security risks. Although Android users often unlock their device bootloaders to root and install Custom ROMs, it may void your device warranty and cause problems such as boot loops and bricking. Therefore, smartphone OEMs do not unlock the bootloader or root your device by default. It’s ultimately up to you to decide whether or not to unlock your device bootloader based on your needs and preferences.
- You need a laptop or PC to Unlock the Bootloader on the Motorola Razr 40 and 40 Ultra via ADB Fastboot.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 50%, at least for a smoother process.
- It’s highly recommended you completely back up your device’s internal data. All of your device data will delete.
- It would be best if you had a USB cable to connect your device with a PC.
- You need to download ADB and Fastboot Tools to your PC and Extract it.
- Download the Motorola USB Drivers for your PC.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader on Motorola Razr 40 and 40 Ultra via ADB Fastboot
- You need to enable the developer option to activate OEM unlock and USB Debugging.
- To enable the developer option, Go to your Settings -> About phone -> Now tap on the Build Number 7-8 Times until you see a toast message: “You are now a developer!“
- Go back to settings -> Now you need to enable the OEM Unlock by going to Settings -> Developer Option and Enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging
- Download and Extract the Downloaded ADB fastboot Zip file on your PC.
- Now connect your phone to the computer using a USB Cable.
- When you connect your phone to your computer, please wait until all the drivers get installed.
- In your ADB fastboot folder open a command prompt window by pressing Shift Key + Right Mouse Click
- Now type the command in your command window
- If you see a pop up to allow USB Debugging on your phone, Click OK
- Now type the command below to reboot your phone to bootloader
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your phone reboots into bootloader, make sure your phone shows the bootloader locked and then type the command below to make sure fastboot drivers are correctly installed.
- This command will list the connected devices. If your phone’s serial number shows up, you are good to go and may continue. If the phone is NOT listed, this indicates that your drivers are not installed correctly. To keep the setup, you must fix your drivers to list your device under fastboot devices.
- If the phone is recognized by the command above, proceed to boot into bootloader by tapping down the volume down button on your phone and select the BOOT TO DOWNLOAD MODE option with the power key. Now you can unlock the bootloader with the following command: Remember that this step will wipe EVERYTHING off the phone
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- Soon command will return a string which you need to copy the string to Notepad with a single line by deleting all space
(Note: Only copy the highlighted sections above. Do not copy the INFO or (bootloader) prefix)
- To Get Bootloader Key for Motorola Razr 40 and 40 Ultra – Open the website Motorola’s unlock the bootloader site by Signing up or Log in via Google Plus account
- Now paste the string from Notepad to the box shown on the website (Check Screenshot below)
- Once you click the “Can my device be unlocked?” you will receive a mail with an unlocking key.
- Now copy the unlock key and type the following command and enter.
fastboot oem unlock UNLOCK_KEY
Here UNLOCK_Key is the place where you have to paste the unlock key, which you copied from the email.
- That’s it! Your device will unlock. Hah! Have fun!
I hope you successfully unlocked the bootloader on your device. If you have any questions about this method, leave a comment below.