Updated on May 21, 2020: Finally, the Android 10 update for the Nokia 5.1 Plus is out and live for the users to download. As the previous updates, the OEM, Nokia will be pushing the updates in two waves. Notably, the first wave includes Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belgium, Cambodia, Denmark, Finland, Georgia, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Laos, Luxembourg, Macau, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Thailand, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, and Vietnam. This announcement was made by the Chief Product Officer of HMD Global, Juho Sarvikar on Twitter.
Obviously, markets that have not been listed in the first wave of Android 10 update for the Nokia 5.1 Plus, will be getting the update when the second wave of updates are rolled out by the company. Well, the Android 10 update for the Nokia 5.1 Plus is right according to the updated roadmap that the company shared with the users after the COVID-19 pandemic took place. Like every other update, it is pushed via OTA in a staggered manner and will take some time in hitting all the units. But, fortunately, we have the download link for the update package file and you can read this post further to know how you can install the Android 10 update on your Nokia 5.1 Plus manually. The update brings all the latest features of Android 10 along with Nokia specific features as well. So, that being said, let us take a look at the article itself:
- Nokia 5.1 Plus – Android 10 Features
- Firmware Information and Changelog
- Download Nokia 5.1 Plus Android 10 Update File
- Steps to Install Android 10 on Nokia 5.1 Plus Manually
- How to Install AOSP Android 10 Update for Nokia 5.1 Plus aka X5 [GSI Treble]
- Nokia 5.1 Plus Specifications
- What’s on Android 10?
- Steps to Install Android 10 ROM on Nokia 5.1 Plus (pda)
Nokia 5.1 Plus – Android 10 Features
The Android 10 is now almost 9 months old, and by now, you might be well aware of all the features that it brings for the device. For naive, the Android 10 update brings in quite a handful of new features and goodies for the device. There is system-wide Dark Mode, enhanced system security, new gesture navigation, new animations, Smart Reply in notifications, predictive responses and actions, Digital Wellbeing, Sound Amplifier, etc. You can check out all the details that this new OS brings for the Nokia 5.1 Plus by heading to the official website.
Firmware Information and Changelog
The latest Android 10 update for the Nokia 5.1 Plus arrives with version number V3.11A and also tags along with the April 2020 security patch for the phone. It weighs in around 1.32 GB in size which seems okay considering the update and enhancements that it brings for the devices. Below you can find the complete firmware information along with the changelog:
Firmware Information and Official Changelog
- Model: Nokia 5.1 Plus
- Build: V3.11A
- OTA Size: 1.32 GB
- Android Version: Android 10
- Status: Stable
- Security Patch Level: April 2020
- Dark Mode – Take it easy on your eyes
- Smart Reply – Save more time with recommended actions
- Gesture Navigation – Get around with a swipe and a pull
- Additional controls for privacy and location
- Google Security Patch (2020-04)
Notably, the Android 10 update for the Nokia 5.1 Plus has been pushed via OTA in batches and will probably take some time in hitting all the units in the regions mentioned in the first wave of updates. Users can manually check for the update notification by heading to Settings>>System>>System updates. If there is a new update notification available, then tap on it to install the update.
But, fortunately, for those users who do not wish to wait for the OTA and want to upgrade their device right away then you can follow the below guide to do just that.
Before you can head to the steps below then you need to have some pre-requisites:
- Take a complete backup of your device.
- Make sure that you have at least 60% battery on your device.
- Download the SDK Platform Tools.
Download Nokia 5.1 Plus Android 10 Update File
- Nokia 5.1 Plus Android 10 – Link
Steps to Install Android 10 on Nokia 5.1 Plus Manually
You can follow two methods to install the Android 10 update on your Nokia 5.1 Plus. The first method uses the internal or local update method that does not require a PC for manually triggering the update. At the same time, the second method requires you to use a PC and ADB and Fastboot tools for upgrading the devices. Let us take a look at the plans, one by one:
Method 1: Local Update
- First of all, download the Android 10 update package file from the download section above for your Nokia 5.1 Plus.
- Now you must connect your Nokia 5.1 Plus to the PC using a USB cable.
- Then copy the file to the internal storage of your Nokia 5.1 Plus.
- Once the transfer is completed, you can unplug the USB cable from your phone.
- Grab your smartphone and open the Dialer app.
- Enter the below combination in the Dialer app
- The installation process will start immediately on your Nokia 5.1 Plus.
- Once the update finishes, your device will reboot.
- Notably, the first reboot will take some time. So, do not worry.
- Also note that the update package file from internal storage will be deleted automatically once the process is complete.
- That’s it!
Method 2: Using SDK Platform Tools
- Download the updated package file from the download section above for your Nokia 5.1 Plus.
- Now download the SDK platform tools on your PC and extract the contents of the Platforms tool.
- Then, you need to copy and paste the OTA package file to the same folder where you have extracted the contents of the platform’s tool.
- After that, you need to launch the command prompt on your PC.
- Turn off your Nokia 5.1 Plus smartphone.
- Boot your device into the Recovery Mode. To do that, press the Volume Up and Power buttons together.
- Your screen will flash the “No Command” message.
- Here, tap the Volume Up button while holding the Power button.
- Now connect your Nokia 5.1 Plus phone to the PC via USB cable.
- Head over to “Apply update from ADB” option using the Volume key and select it with the help of the Power button.
- Enter the below command in the command prompt:
- In order to trigger the Android 10 update, enter the command:
adb sideload update.zip
(Here “update” means the Android 10 update package file name)
- This command will begin the installation on your phone.
- After the installation is complete, reboot your device.
- That’s it!
We would also like to inform our reader that as per the official announcement, “10% of all these approved markets will receive the Update today. 50% by May 22nd and on May 24th 100% of these approved markets will have received Android 10.” So, the company wants to deliver the update by May 24, which means that some of the regions will join the party late.
So, there you have it from my side in this post. I hope you guys liked this post and were able to install the latest Android 10 update on your Nokia 5.1 Plus model. Let us know which of the features of the Android 10 you liked the most and also do let us know whether you faced any issues with this latest Android 10 update. Until the next post…Cheers!
How to Install AOSP Android 10 Update for Nokia 5.1 Plus aka X5 [GSI Treble]
Are you using the Nokia 5.1 Plus (Also known Nokia X5 in China) and looking for the Android 10 ROM to install on your device? Then you’re in the right place. Here we have provided the steps to download and install AOSP Android 10 update for Nokia 5.1 Plus based on Custom GSI build developed by phhusson with all the requirements. Make sure to follow the full guide below for a smoother flashing experience.
Now, you may ask what is GSI? The GSI or Generic System image is a system image with Pure Android implementation that’s based on an unmodified AOSP (Android Open Source Project) code. Thanks to Google for providing Project Treble support for Android 8.0 Oreo or higher version running devices. In that case, even if your device is not officially supported the newer version of Android OS, you can try the Android 10 GSI build on your phone.
Here in this guide, we will explain how to download and install Android 10 GSI builds on Nokia 5.1 Plus (pda). We have provided the complete instruction and step by step guide to install the GSI custom build on Nokia 5.1 Plus. The steps are simple and easy to follow.
Nokia 5.1 Plus Specifications
Nokia 5.1 Plus was announced in July 2018 which sports a 5.86-inch IPS LCD display with a screen resolution of 720 x 1520 pixels. The device has an aspect ratio of 19:9 and a screen-to-body ratio of 79.6 %.
Nokia 5.1 Plus is powered by an Octa-core (4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A53) – Global or Octa-core (4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A53) – China with Mediatek MT6771 Helio P60 (12 nm) chipset coupled with 3/4/6GB of RAM and 32/64GB of internal storage. It also supports an external memory card with up to 400 GB microSD. The device came out of the box with Android 8.1 Oreo and backed by a 3060 mAh battery (Non-removable).
As far as the camera concerned, the device has a dual-camera setup with 13MP + 5MP primary sensors and a selfie camera with an 8MP lens. Other connectivity option includes 4G-VoLTE, GPS, Glonass, Bluetooth, Mobile Hotspot, accelerometer, light sensor, gyroscope, proximity sensor, and compass. etc.
What’s on Android 10?
Google has started rolling out the latest Android 10 version update to its Pixel series devices which is the 10th iteration of Android OS. It brings plenty of new features to the device system like system UI, new gesture navigation, improved privacy and location control. The update also offers enhanced app permissions, foldable display support, security features, system-wide dark mode, etc.
The Android 10 also offers built-in call screening, multi-camera API, smart replies in the notification panel, 5G support, improved call quality, bubble feature, live caption, and more. While the latest version also improves battery life, Focus mode which is similar to the Do Not Disturb mode, etc. Apart from that Android 10 also features 65 new emojis. It also comes with direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices.
Steps to Install Android 10 ROM on Nokia 5.1 Plus (pda)
PHH’s AOSP Android 10 GSIs are still marked as a pre-release. Even on a device that runs Pie GSIs nicely, it’s still possible to get broken media, camera, RIL or even flat-out no-boot. You are strongly advised to try PHH’s original and then identify/report issues there, before moving onto other GSIs that is based on this work. Please report bugs there only if it’s specific to this GSI.
We’re at GetDroidTips won’t be responsible for any kind of damage or error that occurs to your handset while or after following this guide. This is a Custom ROM and may contain some of the bugs or stability issues. We can’t recommend you to use this firmware as your daily driver. Proceed at your own risk.
First, you have to unlock the device bootloader in order to flash any Custom ROM. But going to the process. let’s take a look at requirements and download links first.
- You need to unlock the bootloader at first.
- Download the required Android 10 GSI ROM file and Android 10 GApps file from below.
- ARM, ARM64, or x86: Check your Android Phone’s Processor
- Treble Support: Check If Your Smartphone Supports Project Treble
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
- Android 10 GSI | Download [A/B System with Arm64] – Download Gapps version
- Download and install Nokia USB Drivers
- Fastboot Method: Download ADB and Fastboot tool
Watch The Video on What’s New on Android 10Video Guide for AOSP Android 10 Installation
Instructions to Install:Guide to install Generic System image (GSI) on your Android device
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the AOSP Android 10 Custom ROM on your Nokia 5.1 Plus (pda) handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.
Source: Github| Credits to phhusson
If you find any problem with the latest build of Android 10 GSI, then you can report it on the official GitHub page: Click Here