One of the much-awaited first-person shooter video games Far Cry 6 is now live. It’s developed by Ubisoft Toronto and published by Ubisoft for all popular gaming platforms such as Windows, PlayStation, Xbox, Google Stadia, and Amazon Luna. Although Far Cry fans have waited a little longer than expected, most of them had a great time with it. But some players are facing the Far Cry 6 Crashing issue on their PC.
Now, if you’re also one of the victims then make sure to follow this troubleshooting guide to resolve it. There is nothing new to the PC gamers because no matter whether they play a newly released game or an older one, every title has its own fair amount of issues whatsoever. It seems that Far Cry 6 is no exception and some players are encountering some issues with the in-game crashing or startup crashing.
- Why does Far Cry 6 keep Crashing?
- Far Cry 6 Crashing on my PC, How to Fix?
- 1. Check System Requirements
- 2. Set a FPS Limit
- 3. Run as an Administrator
- 4. Verify and Repair Games via Ubisoft Connect
- 5. Update Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
- 6. Update DirectX
- 7. Update GPU Drivers
- 8. Try Disabling Overlay Apps
- 9. Disable Antivirus and Firewall Program
- 10. Perform a Clean Boot
- 11. Close Unnecessary Background Tasks
- 12. Check for Windows Updates
- 13. Reinstall Far Cry 6
Why does Far Cry 6 keep Crashing?
Well, that’s a quite common question most of the affected PC players ask to online forums or search for online. To be precise, PC games do rely on multiple things to launch and run properly that include compatible system requirements, configured display or graphics settings, DirectX version, graphics card compatibility as well as graphics driver version, installed game files, antivirus program, other background tasks, and more.
Obviously, sometimes an outdated game patch version or even a newly installed patch version may have some bugs or stability issues that you’ll gonna encounter while launching the game which will lead to startup crashes or errors. Luckily, there are a couple of possible workarounds mentioned below that you should consider.
Far Cry 6 Crashing on my PC, How to Fix?
We should also keep in mind that at the time of writing this article, Far Cry 6 is a newly released title. So, the chances are high that you’ll gonna experience multiple issues or bugs until developers release a couple of patch fixes to make it more stable. Now, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into the guide below.
1. Check System Requirements
First of all, you should check out whether your PC configuration is meeting the system requirements or not. If your PC hardware isn’t capable to run the game normally then you’ll face glitches, lags, frame drops, crashes, graphical issues, and more.
- Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
- OS: Windows 10 (20H1 or newer)
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 – 3.1 GHz / Intel i5-4460 – 3.2 GHz
- Memory: 8 GB (Dual-Channel mode)
- Graphics: AMD RX 460 (4 GB) / Nvidia GTX 960 (4 GB)
- Storage: 60 GB HDD (SSD recommended)
- Direct X: DirectX 12
- Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
- OS: Windows 10 (20H1 or newer)
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (3.8 GHz) / Intel i7-7700 (3.6 GHz) or higher
- Memory: 16 GB (Dual-Channel mode)
- Graphics: AMD RX VEGA64 (8 GB) / Nvidia GTX 1080 (8 GB) or higher
- Storage: 60 GB HDD (SDD Recommended) + 37 GB HD Textures (optional)
- DirectX: DirectX 12
2. Set a FPS Limit
If in case, you don’t have higher RAM or a powerful graphics card then we’ll recommend you to set a maximum FPS limit for the Far Cry 6 game on the PC. It’ll definitely gonna reduce the extra load from CPU or GPU and you may get minor crashes than before. Whereas if you see the FPS limit to 60FPS maximum or a lower 30FPS then you’ll be able to play the game quite smoothly.
Just open Far Cry 6 > head over to the graphics/display settings > video > advanced settings > make sure to Enable FPS Lock and set it to 30/60FPS maximum even though your PC can run higher FPS.
3. Run as an Administrator
Check out whether you’re running your Far Cry 6 executable file or the Ubisoft game launcher as an administrator or not. If not then it could be one of the reasons behind such an issue. Just right-click on the game exe or Ubisoft launcher exe file and select Run as administrator then click on Yes (if prompted by UAC) to fix the issue.
- Right-click on the Far Cry 6 exe shortcut file on your PC.
- Now, select Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Make sure to click on the Run this program as an administrator checkbox to checkmark it.
- Click on Apply and select OK to save changes.
As we’ve already mentioned, do the same steps for your Ubisoft launcher too.
4. Verify and Repair Games via Ubisoft Connect
If you’re still experiencing issues with the Far Cry 6 game crashing then make sure to verify your installed game files with the Ubisoft Connect software by following the steps below:
- Open the Ubisoft Connect software on the PC.
- Click on the Games tab > Select the Far Cry 6 game tile.
- Now, select the arrow icon on the bottom right side.
- A drop-down menu will appear > Click on Verify files.
- If prompted, click on Repair.
- Finally, Ubisoft Connect will start repairing any missing or corrupted files (if any). Wait for it to complete.
- Once done, make sure to close Ubisoft Connect as well as the game if running, and restart your computer to check for the issue.
5. Update Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
You can also try updating the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable on your Windows computer to check whether the startup crashing issue has been fixed or not.
- Head over to the official Microsoft website here and download the file.
- Next, install the exe file and restart the PC to apply changes.
6. Update DirectX
- Make sure to go to this official link and download the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer file on your PC.
- Then install it and check for the latest DirectX updates.
- Once done, restart your computer to apply changes.
You can finally, check the latest DirectX version on your computer from the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Press Win+R keys to open Run > Type dxdiag and hit Enter.
7. Update GPU Drivers
If in case, your graphics driver version becomes outdated or has some issues then you may encounter crashing issues with the newly released game titles. Make sure to update the graphics driver on your PC to cross-check for the issue. To do so:
- Press Windows + X keys to open the Quick Link Menu.
- Now, click on Device Manager from the list > Double-click on Display adapters.
- Right-click on the dedicated graphics card that you’re using.
- Next, select Update driver > Choose to Search automatically for drivers.
- If there is an update available, the system will automatically download & install it.
- Once done, restart the computer to apply changes immediately.
In most scenarios, this method may help you to fix the graphical glitches, crashes, lags, stuttering issues with your games expectedly. If not, try following the next method.
8. Try Disabling Overlay Apps
As per some affected players, disabling overlay apps on the Windows computer before launching and playing the game can also help to reduce crashes or other glitches whatsoever. Just make sure to disable in-game overlay apps like Discord or Steam overlay. You can additionally turn off the MSI Afterburner tool, Nvidia GeForce Experience tool, Xbox Game Bar, etc.
9. Disable Antivirus and Firewall Program
Sometimes turning off the antivirus software as well as the firewall program can help the system to run apps or games freely without any kind of prevention. You should also turn off the real-time protection feature. Otherwise, try whitelisting the game file directly from the antivirus program to check for the issue.
- Click on the Start menu > Type Control Panel and click on it.
- Now, type firewall in the search box > Click on Windows Firewall.
- From the left pane, click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
- Make sure to select Turn off Windows Firewall for the Private, Domain, and Public Network Settings.
- Finally, reboot the PC to apply changes, and try checking the issue.
Now, you’ll have to disable the anti-virus protection (Windows Defender) as well by following the steps below:
- Head over to the Windows Settings > Privacy and Security.
- Now, go to Windows Security > Virus & threat protection.
- Click on Manage settings >Then turn off the Real-time Protection option.
- Once done, make sure to reboot your PC to apply changes.
Even if you’re using any third-party antivirus software on your PC then make sure to turn it off properly.
10. Perform a Clean Boot
Well, sometimes a couple of programs or their services can run in the background and start automatically while booting the Windows system by default. Those services or programs can consume a lot of system resources that may eventually trouble you. Make sure to perform a clean boot by simply turning them off.
- Press Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Now, type msconfig and hit Enter to open the System Configuration window.
- Go to the Services tab > Enable the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Click on Disable all.
- Click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
- Now, click on the Startup tab > Click on Open Task Manager.
- Under the Startup tab from the Task Manager interface, click on the particular tasks which are enabled for startup boot > Click on Disable.
- Make sure to select the high-impact startup programs and disable them one by one.
- Once all is done, restart your PC to apply changes.
- Finally, check whether the Far Cry 6 Crashing issue on PC has been fixed or not.
11. Close Unnecessary Background Tasks
It may also be possible that some of the tasks or programs are always running in the background on your PC and they’re troubling you while launching any other apps or games. By turning them off, you’ll free up some CPU/RAM space whatsoever.
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Task Manager.
- Click on the Processes tab > Select the task that you want to close.
- Once selected, click on End Task. Make sure to do the steps for each task individually.
- Once done, just restart your computer to change effects immediately.
12. Check for Windows Updates
If in case, your Windows OS version or the build version becomes outdated for a while then make sure to check for the Windows updates completely. The latest update always offers new features bugs fixes, other improvements, etc. Even if there is a cumulative update or security patch update available, you should install it.
- Press Windows + I keys to open up the Windows Settings menu.
- Next, click on Update & Security > Select Check for updates under the Windows Update section.
- If there is a feature update available, select Download and install.
- Wait for some time until the update gets completed.
- Finally, reboot your PC to apply changes immediately.
13. Reinstall Far Cry 6
If none of the methods worked for you then try reinstalling the Far Cry 6 game to check if that helps you to fix the crashing issue or not. To do so:
- Open Ubisoft Connect on your PC.
- Then click on the Games tab in the top-left corner.
- Locate the Far Cry 6 tile from the list > Right-click on it.
- Choose Uninstall > Confirm the task and wait for it to complete.
- Once done, make sure to reboot your computer to apply changes immediately.
- Next, open Ubisoft Connect > Search for Far Cry 6 and install it again. [Make sure to use the same account that you’ve used to purchase the game]
- You’re done. You’ve successfully fixed the Far Cry 6 Crashing issue on your PC.
That’s it, guys. We hope this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.