The HP Driver serves as a crucial component that helps you with various things on a daily basis. HP printers are one of the best external system devices that assist you with high definition printouts to help you for defining your presumptions. But like various other external and software devices, it too has certain limitations, and so it sometimes ends up displaying an error for the user.
Recently it is reported by quite a few users that whenever they install the HP software on their computer an error pops up stating, “Installation Error”, Call to DriverPackageInstall returned error for 1603 package. Sometimes also followed by the text “ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE” on the screen. For getting rid of the Error 1603, here are some best possible fixes mentioned below.
Table of Contents
- 1 Causes of “HP Driver Error 1603 occurrence on Windows 10”.
- 2 Fixes for “HP Driver Error 1603 on Windows 10”
- 2.1 Fix 1: Use Microsoft Fix it or Easy Fix solutions:
- 2.2 FIX 2: Update the HP Drivers:
- 2.3 FIX 3: Run Hardware Troubleshooter:
- 2.4 FIX 4: Verify whether the “Windows Installer service” is Automatic:
- 2.5 FIX 5: Install the Driver using Compatibility Mode:
- 2.6 FIX 6: Upgrade the Latest Microsoft Windows Installer version:
- 2.7 FIX 7: Register the Windows Component:
- 2.8 FIX 8: Give full control permission to the System Account:
- 2.9 FIX 9: Reinstall the HP Software:
- 2.10 FIX 10: Disable Services (temporarily) and later Reinstall the HP Software:
Causes of “HP Driver Error 1603 occurrence on Windows 10”.
Error 1603 mainly affects the Windows 10 users. Its occurrence has even led to Windows update failures in some cases. Various causes lead to the occurrence of Fatal Error 1603. Some of the prime causes are mentioned below:
- It may occur due to a pre-installed application on your system.
- If the folder you are trying to install the Windows Installer Package is encrypted, then it may lead you to ‘Error 1603’.
- Your system’s account might not have full control permissions of the folder to which you are installing the Windows Installer Package. In this case, the Windows installer service uses the system’s account for software installation and thus leads to error occurrence.
- The drive containing the folder (to which you are installing the Windows Installer Package) is accessed as a substitute drive.
Fixes for “HP Driver Error 1603 on Windows 10”
Now once we know the causes of “HP Driver Error 1603 on Windows 10” we can easily move towards learning all the possible fixes. Various ways can prevent the occurrence of Error code 1603 on your PC.
Fix 1: Use Microsoft Fix it or Easy Fix solutions:
Microsoft fixes It, or Easy Fix solutions, are the applications that help scan and resolve the Microsoft products and third-party software problems for your PC.
For using ‘Microsoft Fix it’ just go to the official website and click on the ‘Download’ icon. A Microsoft easy fix solution will let you download and later deal with the software error automatically on its own. Based on the technology used to create the package, the easy fix package can be .msi or .diagcab (only for Windows 10).
Using Microsoft Fix It will help you get rid of the HP Driver Error 1603 on Windows 10.
FIX 2: Update the HP Drivers:
Some outdated or missing drivers, too, can cause the HP Driver Error 1603. For the solution, one can uninstall the previous version of drivers installed for the HP printer and then later install the latest drivers and firmware updates. You will find various versions of drivers for the HP printer but make sure to choose the one according to your HP printer model.
One can download the drivers update manually or use any automated dedicated tools. The manual process may take very long; however, automated tools will complete the process within no time and minimal intervention.
Note: Choosing and downloading the incorrect drivers into your PC can damage them severely. Hence, we recommend you to use dedicated tools only.
- Firstly, download and launch the software.
- Start the scan and then let it finish downloading and installing the latest drivers on your system.
- Once done, the software will identify and fix any missing or broken drivers in your computer.
FIX 3: Run Hardware Troubleshooter:
For fixing the ‘Error code 1603’, one can run a hardware troubleshooter as well.
- From the Windows search bar, type, and open Control Panel.
- Now on the Control Panel window go to the View by an icon and select the option Large Icons.
- From the newly appeared list locate and click on Troubleshooting.
- Go to Hardware and Sound and click on the option Configure a device and click on Next for running the Troubleshooter.
- Let the process complete on its own. Once done, check if the ‘Error code 1603’ is resolved or not.
FIX 4: Verify whether the “Windows Installer service” is Automatic:
Follow the steps given below:
- Go to the Windows search bar type ‘services.msc’ and press Enter.
- On the Services (Local) list locates and click on Windows Installer.
- On the Windows Installer properties dialogue box, open the drop-down menu beside Startup type and click on Automatic.
- Now click on Apply and then OK.
- Finally, start with the software installation.
FIX 5: Install the Driver using Compatibility Mode:
Installing the driver in Compatibility mode will reduce the possibility of ‘Error code 1603’ occurrence. For the installation process, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, download the latest Driver into your system.
- Now right-click on the Driver setup file and select Properties.
- From the properties, window goes to the Compatibility tab.
- Here tick the checkbox located before the option Run this program in compatibility mode.
- Lastly, restart your computer and check whether the error issue is solved or not.
FIX 6: Upgrade the Latest Microsoft Windows Installer version:
Upgrading the latest Microsoft Windows Installer version will help you eliminate HP Driver Error 1603 on Windows 10.
- On the Windows search bar, type Run and open the Run dialog box.
- In the empty command field, type appwiz.cpl and press Enter.
- Now navigate to the Currently installed programs list and select the option Windows Installer.
- Click on Remove and then follow the on-screen instructions for removing the Windows Installer.
- Now go to the official website of Microsoft and install the latest version of Windows Installer.
Note: Make sure to download the ‘.msi file’ suiting the Windows version you are using. For the 32-bit version, you will see x86, and for the 64-bit version, you will see x64.
- Once done, restart your system, and now the Error code 1603 might have got solved.
FIX 7: Register the Windows Component:
For registering the Windows component, follow the steps given below:
Unregister and reregister Microsoft Windows Installer:
- Go to the search bar in your desktop and type ‘cmd.’
- Once you see Command prompt right-click on it and select Run as administrator.
- On the command prompt windows type, MSIEXEC/UNREGISTER and then click on OK.
- Restart your computer and check whether the error issue is solved or persists.
For registering the Atl.dll file:
- Press WINDOWS + R for opening the Run dialogue box
- On the empty command box, type regsvr32 Atl.dll and click on OK.
- Lastly, click the icon OK on the RegSvr32 screen.
FIX 8: Give full control permission to the System Account:
For getting rid of ‘Error code 1603’ consider giving the full control permission to the ‘System account’.
- Open File Explorer and then right-click on the drive to which you want to install the Windows installer package and select Properties.
- Select the Security tab and under the Group or user names select System user account.
- In the Permission for system section set the Full control option to Allow.
- Now close the ‘Permission‘ dialogue box to return to Properties and then click on Advanced.
- From the newly appeared window, select the option Change permissions.
- In the Permissions tab selects the entry SYSTEM and click on Edit.
- Now in the next window, click on the option Applies to and select This folder, subfolder and files from the drop-down menu.
- Finally, click on OK and run the Windows Installer package.
FIX 9: Reinstall the HP Software:
If none of the above fixes works for you, then try reinstalling the HP software. For reinstalling the HP software, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, turn on your printer.
- In case your computer and printer are connected via USB then make sure to disconnect the cable.
- Now visit the HP website under the Software and Driver Downloads.
- Recognize your printer model and follow the downloading instructions on your screen.
- Finally, click Next for downloading the full feature driver.
FIX 10: Disable Services (temporarily) and later Reinstall the HP Software:
Disable startup services (temporarily):
- Go to the search bar on your desktop, type ‘MSConfig’ and press Enter
- From the vertical option menu, select the Services tab and then click on Disable all. It will turn off all the programs that start while you turn on your system.
- Now tick the checkbox Hide All Microsoft Services and then click on Disable All > OK.
Disable Windows update (temporarily):
- From the start menu, go to Windows update.
- In the left pane, locate and select the option Change Settings.
- Under the recommend update option, click on the option Never check for updates and then finally click on OK.
Remove and reinstall HP software.
Note: Before you start the steps given below, make sure you unplug the USB that connects your computer and HP printer.
- Open the Control panel from the start menu.
- Open the list of installed programs and remove the HP software.
- Click on Programs and then right-click on the HP (If asked to remove shared files, click on ‘No.’)
The Hp software reinstallation process is explained above in ‘FIX 9’.
Enable startup programs:
- Go to the start menu and open System Configuration.
- From the vertical menu, select the General tab and select the box located before Normal startup.
- Now click on Apply -> OK and then restart your system.
Re-enable the Windows update
- Follow the 1st and 2nd step from the Disable Windows update process.
- Now under Install updates automatically select Never check for updates and then click on OK
These were all the worthwhile fixes that are proven to solve the “HP Driver Error 1603 on Windows 10” issue. As explained above, various possibilities can lead you to ‘error code 1603’. However, it is not a severe technical fault, and one can fix it on their own with a few simple steps. Hence, do not consider visiting a technical assistant.
We recommend you to try the basic troubleshooters first before jumping to the other fixes, hence follow the same pattern as mentioned above in the article. Also, the above solutions are primarily for Windows 10 users and might not work or work differently for other windows users. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.