In this tutorial, we will show you how to download and install LineageOS 18.1 onto your Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 2020 (10.4 inch) device. The Google-owned OS is open source in nature. This allows the userbase to try out tons of customizations and modifications onto your devices. For starters, they could install themes, icon packs, and launchers from the Play Store. But this is just the beginning. There are a plethora of other tweaks that you could try out on your Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 (2020).
All that is required is an unlocked bootloader, and then you could easily set your feet in the custom development. From installing a custom recovery like TWRP to gaining root access via Magisk, the possibilities are endless. Along the same lines, you could also try out a customized Android OS in the form of custom ROMs. And in this guide, we will be discussing just that. Today, we will show you the steps to install LineageOS 18.1 onto your Galaxy Tab A7 2020 device.
How to Install LineageOS 18.1 on Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 (2020)
Before we list the instructions, there are a few points worth discussing. We would like to state that the ROM is an unofficial build and in the alpha stage. So you could face a few stability issues as well as bugs. On that note, here are all the working features and the bugs present in this ROM:
- OS-encrypted storage (Internal Data) is not able to be decrypted in TWRP.
So if you are ready to install LineageOS 18.1 onto your Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 (2020) (SM-T500) device, then here is all the required information. Let’s start with the requirements set.
- First and foremost, create a complete device backup. This is because we will be wiping the data partition which will format your device.
- Next up, you will need to unlock the bootloader on your device. If you haven’t done so, then refer to our guide on How to Unlock Bootloader on Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 (2020).
- Once that is done, you also need to have the TWRP Recovery installed. You could refer to our guide on How to Install TWRP Recovery on Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 (2020).
- Also, enable USB Debugging on your device so that it gets recognized by your PC in the ADB Mode. For that, head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging.
- Next, up, download, and install the Android SDK Platform Tool on your PC. This will provide you with the necessary binary files.
- Also, download and install the Samsung USB drivers onto your PC.
- Finally, download the LineageOS 18.1 for Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 (2020): Download Link | Vendor | Vbmeta
Credits for the ROM go to Raghu Varma.
- If you want Google Apps as well, then download the Android 11 GApps file
That’s it. You may now proceed with the installation steps.
Instructions to Install LineageOS 18.1 on Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 (2020)
- Transfer the (super.new.ext4.img to the Internal Storage of your device. Ideally push it to an SD card formatted with ExFat or EXT2/3/4 (FAT/FAT16/FAT32/VFAT won’t work due to file-size limitations).
- Boot your device into TWRP (recovery mode) and format (not wipe) your data partition. Then reboot back into TWRP.
- Now that your device is booted to TWRP, head over to the Wipe section and tap on Advanced Wipe.
- Install LineageOS image to “Super” partition. Make sure to select “Install from Image” in order to show .img files in the install selector screen.
- (Optional) Push NikGapps Omni to your device and install the zip. Make sure you include a “nikgapps.config” file in your “/tmp” folder that is configured to install to “system” rather than “product” or “default”.
- Reboot to system. You should now be in LOS with Gapps.
- (Optional, but recommended): Install Magisk via TWRP
- (Optional, but recommended): Run fix script to fix brightness slider not working and to make Magisk work. If you didn’t install Magisk but only want the brightness fix, just enter “n” when prompted in the script. To run the script:
- NOTE: Script has a .txt file extension to allow hosting on AFH. Remove that so it’s just .sh to match the instructions below.
- Download and push to device when booted into TWRP
adb push sm-t500_fixes.sh /tmp
- Enter an adb shell
- Change directories and set permissions
cd /tmp chmod +x /tmp/sm-t500_fixes.sh
- Run script
- Change directories and set permissions
With this, we conclude the guide on how to install LineageOS 18.1 onto your Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 (2020) (SM-T500) device. Do let us know your views about this ROM in the comments section below. Furthermore, you could also drop in your queries in the comments. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Tricks that deserve your attention as well.