In this tutorial, we will show you how to install the Pixel Experience Plus ROM on Redmi Note 9 Pro, based on Android 10. The device already has some pretty impressive specs sheet. The 6.67-inch display has a 1080 x 2400 pixel resolution. The octa-core Qualcomm SM7125 Snapdragon 720G chipset has an Adreno 618 GPU. The 64GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 6GB RAM combination should be enough to meet your daily needs. Talking about the camera, you get a quad rear camera setup of 64+8+5+2 whereas it has a 16MP front-facing camera. All this is supported by a mammoth 5020mAH battery which could be charged via a 30W fast charging.
While the device is pretty impressive in its own right, there’s just one complaint from a section of the user. They aren’t just a fan of the MIUI, the customized Android OS skin offered by Xiaomi. While some of you might go for a theme or custom launcher, yet the underlying OS will still be of Xiaomi’s offering (aka MIUI). So what could be done in this regard? Well, it turns out there is a pretty nifty workaround, in the form of a custom ROM. You could now install the Pixel Experience Plus ROM on Redmi Note 9 Pro and get a taste of Android 10. So let’s check out what all the latest Android version and the said custom ROM has to offer. After which we will list out detailed instructions to install this ROM on your Redmi device. Let’s begin.
Android 10: What’s New
Let’s check out some of the noteworthy features of the latest stable Android build.
Among the most requested feature, Google finally paid heed to this request. You could now enable the dark mode throughout the system. Furthermore, there is also an override force dark mode. This allows you to enable dark mode throughout all the apps, even to those that natively doesn’t support it. head over to Setting > Developer Options and try it out today.
Up until now, you could either Allow or Disallow any permission. But beginning with Android 10, that is about to change. Initially only limited to Location permissions, you could now also select the option to Allow only while using the app. As soon as you close or even minimize the app, the said permission will be revoked. Apart from location, plans are to increase it to media files and camera, but in the next Android version.
There’s also a possibility to add captions even to those videos that don’t officially support it. Finally, something to cheer about for the binge-watchers.
WiFi QR Code
You could now easily share WiFi passwords with your friends and family members. Just head over to the WiFi settings page and generate a QR Code with your WiFi password. You would no longer have to share passwords in plain text format.
Google seems to have taken a page or two from Apple’s book in this one. There is an introduction to some new gesture navigations in Android 10. For example, you could swipe from the left or right edge to go back, swipe diagonally from the bottom left or right to bring up Google Assistant, and so on.
Well, these are just some of the features of Android 10. If you wish to get yourself acquainted more on this topic, refer to our guide on top 10 Android 10 features and details. Let’s now check what the Pixel Experience ROM has to offer and how you could install the same on your Redmi Note 9 Pro.
Pixel Experience ROM: Features & Installation Guide
Although there are many custom ROMs out there, Pixel Experience stands out as providing the cleanest stock experience. The ROM is based on the Google Pixel’s stock OS, which is free of bloatware and only offers the essentials, without the unnecessary customizations. And this is what Pixel Experience exactly is. It includes all the Pixel goodies including the Pixel launcher, wallpapers, icons, fonts, and even the boot animation.
Its mission stands simple: to offer the maximum possible stability and security, along with essential and useful features for the proper functioning of the device. So if you are looking for a stable ROM without the truckloads of functionalities, then this should be your go-to choice. So on that note, here is how you could install the Pixel Experience Plus ROM on your Redmi Note 9 Pro device. Make sure to keep a note of the below prerequisites before you head over to the instructions set.
- First of making sure you create a complete backup of your Android device. Furthermore keep your device charged to at least 50%, to avoid any sudden power off during the process.
- Next, your device bootloader should be unlocked. We have a detailed guide on how to unlock bootloader on Redmi Note 9 Pro. Refer to the guide to know the steps, if you haven’t already unlocked.
- You will only need to install the TWRP Recovery on your device. This is because a stock recovery cannot flash the custom ROMs. If you don’t have it installed, refer to our detailed guide on the said topic. You just need to focus on the first half of this guide, ignore the root part if you don’t wish to root your device. For this guide, rooting isn’t a requirement.
Now that you are aware of the requirements, download the Pixel Experience Plus Rom for your Redmi Note 9 Pro from below. Do keep in mind that although it is a stable build, yet is unofficial. That is, one of the developers not part of the Pixel Experience team, has ported the ROM for your device. Even then, you should get the same experiences that the original build has to offer.
-Sound / vibration
- ROM OS Version: Android 10
- ROM Kernel: Linux 4.14
- Android OS version: 10.0.0_r35
- Security patch level: May 2020
- Based On: AOSP
- Download: Link
That’s all that you will be needing as of now. We haven’t shared the GApps package as the ROM comes pre-built with all the necessary Google apps. With that said, you could now proceed with the installation of the Pixel Experience ROM on your Redmi Note 9 Pro device.
- First of all, transfer the downloaded ROM to your Internal Storage.
- Now power off your device and boot it to TWRP Recovery. You should use the device-specific hardware key combination for your device. Most Xiaomi devices have the Power and Volume Up button combinations.
- Once your device boots to TWRP, head over to Wipe and tap on Advanced Wipe. Select Data, Dalvik/ART Cache, System, and Vendor. Do NOT select Internal Storage.
- Now head back to the TWRP home screen and go to Install. Select the Pixel Experience Plus ROM and perform a right swipe on the below button to install it onto your device.
- The process will take a few minutes. Once that is done, go back to the main menu and tap on Reboot.
- Finally, select the System option and your device should be booted to the newly installed ROM!
So with this, you have installed the Pixel Experience Plus ROM on your Redmi Note 9 Pro device. Do keep in mind that the first boot might take some time, it is completely normal. Furthermore, you will also now have to set up your device from scratch. If at any point in time you face any issues, do drop in your queries in the comments section below. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Trick that you should check out as well.