Call of Duty: Warzone 2.0 is a sequel to 2020’s Warzone that offers a free-to-play online battle royale video game by Infinity Ward and Raven Software. As the first edition of Warzone did come as a part of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare in 2019, the Call of Duty system works with Warzone 2. Meanwhile, plenty of players are getting the MWII purchase error notice while launching Warzone 2. If you’re one of them, you can check this guide to fix the Purchase Modern Warfare 2 Error in Warzone 2.
As per multiple reports, COD Warzone 2 players become unable to get into the battle royale or DMZ or Gulag, which is frustrating enough. It says, “Purchase Modern Warfare II to have access to everything” error notice while launching Warzone 2.0 out of nowhere. It didn’t happen to the players before and might seem like a server-side issue. However, you don’t need to buy Modern Warfare II to play Warzone 2 because you don’t have to do so.
- How to Fix Purchase Modern Warfare 2 Error in Warzone 2
How to Fix Purchase Modern Warfare 2 Error in Warzone 2
Additionally, some reports claim that accessing social features like a friends list and cross-platform play requires the purchase of Modern Warfare 2. Thankfully, this error message is just a temporary bug due to the overloaded number of active players, which puts so many effects on the game servers. As Call of Duty offers Warzone 2.0, which is a free-to-play online battle royale video game, there is no need to purchase the title for it. Still, if you’re experiencing the same issue, you can follow this troubleshooting guide to resolve it.
1. Reboot the Gaming Device
It’s highly recommended to restart the gaming device, whether you’re using a PC or console to play Warzone 2, to refresh any temporary system glitches. Some of the Warzone 2 players have found this trick useful.
2. Check the Internet Connection
The second thing you can check is the internet connection at your end whether it’s working fine or not. The chances are high that you’re using a wired (ethernet) connection or a wireless (Wi-Fi) network, and somehow the internet speed is slow or unstable. In some cases, too many devices are connected to the same network, which can also reduce the data speed. If you’re using Wi-Fi, try using an ethernet connection for better stability. Otherwise, try using a different connection instead.
3. Update Warzone 2
If the “Purchase Modern Warfare II to have access to everything” error is still bothering you, then make sure to check if the game has been updated to the latest version or not.
- Go to Warzone 2 on the Xbox dashboard.
- Hit the Start button and select Manage Game and Add-ons.
- Now, you’ll check if there is an update available or not.
- If available, select Update All.
- Once done, re-launch the game.
- Select Warzone 2 on your PlayStation home screen.
- Next, hit the Start button and select Check for Updates.
- If an update is available, select OK.
- Open the Battle.net launcher.
- Select Warzone 2.0 on the Battle.net client.
- Click on the cog icon next to the game.
- Select Check for Updates.
- If an update is available, just download and install the update.
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library.
- Right-click on Warzone 2 > Select Properties.
- Then click on Updates > From Automatic Updates, make sure to select Only update this game when I launch it.
- Now, launch Warzone 2 and wait for it to download whenever available.
- Go back to the Updates section and select High Priority – Always auto-update this game before others (if you want).
4. Check Activision Online Services
You can also check for Activision Online Services here to ensure whether there is an issue with the server or not. Sometimes issues with the servers or online services might trouble you to get into the game or join the crossplay in COD titles. You’re good to go if the online status is active or operational for all platforms. Otherwise, you can wait for a couple of hours and try again.
5. Repair the Game Files (PC)
Sometimes, corrupted or missing game files on the PC might also trouble you a lot when it comes to multiplayer titles. It’s always better to verify and repair the game files by following the steps below on your PC to avoid errors.
- Open Battle.net > Click on Warzone 2.
- Select the Cog icon beside the Play button.
- Now, select Scan and Repair > Wait for the repair to complete.
- Open Steam > Go to Library.
- Right-click on Warzone 2 in your library.
- Go to Settings and select Properties.
- Click on Local Files and select Verify integrity of game files.
- Wait for the process to complete.
6. Power Cycle the Wi-Fi Router
We’ll also recommend you perform a power cycle to your Wi-Fi router by following the steps below to easily clear networking glitches or temporary cache issues.
- Just Power Off the Wi-Fi router.
- Once the LED indicator stops blinking, unplug the power cable from the power source.
- Now, wait for around 30 seconds, and then plug back the power cable in.
- Then Power On the router and check for the issue again.
7. Try Using a Paid VPN Service
You should also try using a paid or premium VPN service to cross-check if the Warzone 2 game becomes playable or not. Sometimes, accessing the different region server using a VPN with low ping latency can also solve multiple connectivity issues with the game server.
8. Join a Friend who owns Modern Warfare II
Some reports suggest that by joining a friend who owns Modern Warfare 2 while they search, you can bypass the ‘Purchase Modern Warfare II to have access to everything’ error in Warzone 2 quite often. So, try this trick multiple times to ensure it’s working or not. Just get your friend who owns Modern Warfare 2 to start searching for a Warzone 2 match, and then join them while they search.
9. Contact Activision Support
If none of the methods worked for you, then make sure to contact Activision Support for additional help. You should also create a support ticket for the same to get a better resolution ASAP. The chances are high that developers will try investigating this issue and fixing it. You might have to wait further to get it resolved.
In summary, the “Purchase Modern Warfare II” error in Warzone 2 is a recent hurdle players have encountered, preventing access to key game modes. Despite its misleading message, players should note that purchasing Modern Warfare II isn’t a prerequisite to enjoying Warzone 2. The issue likely originates from server-side complications. Until an official fix is provided, players can refer to the guide mentioned for potential solutions. That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For additional queries, you can comment below.