Whatsapp is adding a big feature to its messaging platform. It is the disappearing videos and images feature that will let users send out images and videos as messages that will disappear once the receiver views them. This is a new security feature that will come in the stable versions of Whatsapp of the future. For now, only beta users of the App on Android can experience this feature.
This is different from the disappearing messages feature that we already have on Whatsapp. The disappearing messages feature removes any image, text, or video in the conversation from the last 7 days. But these disappearing images and videos will work on a view once basis. Once the receiver views the media content, it will disappear from the conversation window. Now, let’s see in detail how one can send such videos and images on Whatsapp.
How to send disappearing images and videos on Whatsapp?
Many secure messaging platforms like Snapchat have the feature of auto removing messages once the receiver views them. Even Instagram has added a new Vanish mode that works similarly. However, Whatsapp is getting this feature now. It took a while for Whatsapp to incorporate this privacy feature on their platform, but we finally have it here. It is called the view once feature as of now.
How to send these View Once image and video messages on Whatsapp?
- Open up the Whatsapp Chat application on your device.
- Click or tap on the media picker icon(clip icon) to select the photo or video you want to send. It is the same icon you tap on now to send photos or videos on Whatsapp.
- Tap on the Gallery icon to open up your media gallery.
- Once you have selected an image or video that you want to send, you will go to the page that lets you write a caption for it. Here, right next to the send icon in the bottom right corner, you will see the “View Once” button. Tap on it to enable it. Once you do enable it, it will turn green in color.
- Then tap on the send button, and the private image or video will be sent over. You won’t see this image or video in the messaging window like you usually. Instead, for an image, you will “Photo,” and for a video, you will see “Video” written for it.
- Once the receiver opens up the image or video, the photo will change to “Opened.” This works even when the read receipts is turned off. Now once the receiver opens it up and views it once, it will disappear for the receiver too.
As good as this feature may seem right now, it is far from perfect. All photos and videos at the receiver’s end will disappear right after viewing them, but the receiver can still take a screenshot of them. Other private messaging apps send out a message saying that a screenshot was taken. But Whatsapp does not do so. They do not auto-detect when a user takes a screenshot of the conversation, i.e., there is no screenshot detection mechanism with this feature.
Whatsapp even admitted to this shortcoming publicly, suggesting they might not introduce this feature at all in the future. With that in play, many would use Snapchat or other similar private apps to send out disappearing images or videos as they inform the sender when a screenshot is taken.
Now, there is one other thing one must know. Firstly, the sender cannot view the sent image or video on the conversation page. But in case of a mistake, the sender can delete an image permanently for everyone. The receiver will only see a deleted message box then.
So this is all about how one can send disappearing videos and images on Whatsapp. It is available only in the beta form now, and only beta users of the app can use it. But we can expect Whatsapp to add this to the stable version in the coming weeks. If you have any questions or queries about this article, then comment below, and we will get back to you. Also, be sure to check out our other articles on iPhone tips and tricks, Android tips and tricks, PC tips and tricks, and much more for more helpful information.