Steam is a great platform with a collection of numerous cool games. However, the users often face technical snag with the platform. One such issue is Steam displaying game is running even when the gamer has closed the game. In this guide, I will show you various ways to fix this problem.
Usually, this error can also show if the game is active, but the user doesn’t know about it. The game may be open in the task manager or did not properly close. A particular game may have a launcher that the gamer needs to close separately. If the launcher is still active and the player reopens the same game, steam will reply that it is already running. Let’s get into the guide and check out how to fix this problem.
Check this Out | List of Best Simulation Games to Play on Steam in 2020
Steam Says Game Is Running? How to Fix
Sometimes, players may see this message while launching a game due to some bug in the application or the game. That is also fixable.
Game Launcher Still Active on System Tray
Most games may have an intro menu that is actually a part of the original game. However, it is controlled by a launcher that often minimizes itself in the system tray. So, we have to close the same separately.
- The launcher can be spotted easily by the icon of the game.
- Click the launcher to maximize and then close it.
- You may also highlight the minimized icon and then click the close button.
Also Read: How To Add Origin Games To Steam
Try to Restart Steam When You Get Game is Running Message
Closing and rebooting an application is essentially a great fix and works wonders all the time. We can try that out for Steam as well.
- Close the game and the launcher(if still active)
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to invoke the Task Manager
- Then under the Services tab, search for Steam.
- Highlight it and then click End Task
- If possible close any other program that is open but is unused
- I also suggest you restart your PC
- Wait for a few minutes and relaunch Steam.
- Then start the game which you were trying to launch previously.
- Now, it will launch without any issue.
Also Read: How To Fix Steam Won’t Open Issue
NOTE: You can also use this exact process and try to close the game from the Task Manager if it is open. Simply under the services tab. Please search for the game by its name and then highlight it. Click End Task. Also, if Steam is open, close that as well using the above steps.
Install the Game Once Again
Though this is a time-consuming effort, often when the above troubleshoot I mentioned do not work, re-installing the game files do the job.
- Launch Steam
- Click on Library
- Right-click on the name of the game > click Uninstall on the mini dialog box that expands.
- Click Delete to confirm your deletion and completely remove all the existing files of the concerned game.
- Close Steam and then relaunch it once again
- Like you did previously, go to Library
- please navigate to the same game, highlight and right-click on it
- Select Install
- Then click Next and wait while the game files get downloaded
- Once the download finishes, launch the game
- It should now run swiftly. Enjoy
Uninstall and Reinstall Steam
One of the final resorts to fix the game’s running message is to uninstall and reinstall Steam. Go for this if every other troubleshooting method did not work. If there is any bug, then that will be fixed, and installation will bring in the latest version of the game library on your PC.
- Go to Control Panel [Type Control Panel in the Type Here to Search box]
- Then navigate to Programs > Click Uninstall A Program.
- Scroll down in the list of installed programs till you see Steam
- Highlight it. Then click Uninstall
- Wait a while as the uninstallation process completes
- Then go to store.steampowerred.com.
- Download the executable file and install it by following the on-screen instructions
- Install your choice of game and play it
These are some of the working troubleshoot methods that you can follow if you see Steam is saying the game is running when the game is either closed or has any of its components still active. I hope that this guide was useful.