Updated on July 18, 2020: Xiaomi is known for pushing more MIUI updates than Android OS updates, which is the reason why the launch of MIUI 12 was a breather for all the Xiaomi smartphone users. For the unaware, to rock the latest MIUI update, you do not need to be running the latest Android OS version. April 27, 2020, is the date when Xiaomi decided to unveil the latest iteration of its home-grown custom UI, the MIUI 12. MIUI 12 packs in tons of new features which has grabbed the eyeballs of not only the Xiaomi fans but of the entire tech fraternity. Xiaomi Mi 6 users are also among the ones, who are waiting for the update.
Initially, a China-based MIUI 12 update roadmap was released by the OEM, which after a month or so, was also released for the global Xiaomi users. MIUI brings in several features like the cleaner UI, Dark Mode 2.0, sensory visual design, Super Wallpapers (3D models of Earth and Mars), new animations, new gesture navigation, AI calling, enhanced privacy and security, improved multi-window, and much more. You can read about our dedicated list of MIUI 12 stable and beta updates by clicking here. In this post, we will give you a dedicated Xiaomi Mi 6 Android 10 (MIUI 12) update tracker. As mentioned above, it is not necessary that the latest Android OS will be bundled along with MIUI 12 update. With that being said, let us take a look at the tracker itself:
Xiaomi Mi 6 – Device Overview
Xiaomi launched the Mi 6 back in 2017 and it comes with a powerful Snapdragon 835 chipset, coupled with 4/6 GB of RAM. It sports a decent 3350 mAh battery and a 5.5-inch display. The phone offers onboard storage up to 128 GB and does not feature a dedicated storage expansion slot.
In the camera department, it comes with a dual-camera setup with a 12 MP primary shooter, and in the front, it has a single 8 MP camera. Xiaomi MI 6 houses a front fingerprint scanner. As far as its software is concerned, it comes with Android 7.1.1 Nougat out of the box and has been updated with Android 9 Pie.
Xiaomi Mi 6 Android 10 and MIUI 12 Update Tracker
Considering the fact that Xiaomi is not known for pushing more than two major OS updates for its devices and Xiaomi Mi 6 already running Android 9 Pie, Android 10 update for the device looks almost a distant dream. Users of the device should not expect to get their hands on the Android 10 update as OEMs tend to push only 2 or best 3 major OS updates, but the latter is only a case for OnePlus and Google phones. Xiaomi is not an OEM which the update hopefuls talk about.
However, when it comes to MIUI 12 update, as per our report, the Xiaomi Mi 6 is not listed in any of the MIUI 12 update roadmap phases. Interestingly, the phone has undergone MIUI 12 beta testing in China meaning that it will be served with the MIUI 12 stable update sometime in the near future. But, the phone misses making a spot in the global MIUI 12 update roadmap, which ultimately raised questions whether the phone will receive the MIUI 12 update or not?
One important thing here which our readers and Xiaomi Mi 6 MIUI 12 hopefuls should note is that Xiaomi pushed weekly MIUI beta updates in China for its eligible devices to test out the new features and gather feedback from its users. However, this program was scrapped for the global audience without even caring to tell the reason behind it. And if we go by all the MIUI 12 builds that have been recently released in China in July, all of them have dropped support for the Xiaomi Mi 6. This added fuel to the fire that the phone will not be served with MIUI 12 update.
And if we go by a recent comment by a Xiaomi moderator, all the speculations behind Android 10 and MIUI 12 update for Xiaomi Mi 6 can be laid to rest as the phone will not be getting either of the updates. Here is what the official comment reads:
Mi 6 wont get MIUI 12 and Android 10, For more info visit en.miui.com
So, with this, all the expectations of Android 10 or MIUI 12 update have been shut down by the OEM and this also gives us some clarity on why the recently released MIUI 12 beta builds in July in China were dropped for the Xiaomi Mi 6. Stay tuned to GetDroidTips for more such news and do check our YouTube Channel for awesome videos related to Android and Gaming.
—- Story Continues —-
How to Install AOSP Android 10 for Xiaomi Mi 6
Here in this guide, we will share the AOSP Android 10 for Xiaomi Mi 6. Android 10 is now official as Google’s 10th version of Android OS with plenty of new features and system UI changes. The Android 10 (aka Android Q) started rolling out Xiaomi Mi 6 devices, Essential PH, Redmi K20 Pro, Xiaomi Mi 6 Pro devices. Google doesn’t come with any dessert item name for the new Android version this time and that’s a good move. If you’re new to the Android ecosystem, it’s worth mentioning that Android is an Open Source Project (AOSP) by Google. Follow this guide to download and install Android 10 ROM on Xiaomi Mi 6 device.
The AOSP is a custom ROM which means any smartphone OEM can make or customize Android ROM according to their need via the source code. All the Custom ROM or Custom Firmware runs on Android OS version from the core but offers a different kind of user experience. Now, let’s take a look at the device specifications in brief.
Xiaomi Mi 6 comes with a 5.15-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 1080 pixels by 1920 pixels. It runs on 2.45 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor and 6 GB of RAM. It comes with Android 6.0 Marshmallow out-of-the-box. This device packs a 64 GB of non-expandable internal storage. Xiaomi Mi 6 brings a 12-megapixel primary camera on the rear and a 4-megapixel camera on the front.
What’s on Android 10?
Google has started rolling out the latest Android 10 version update to its Pixel series devices which is the 10th iteration of Android OS. It brings plenty of new features to the device system like system UI, new gesture navigation, improved privacy and location control. The update also offers enhanced app permissions, foldable display support, security features, system-wide dark mode, etc.
The Android 10 also offers built-in call screening, multi-camera API, smart replies in the notification panel, 5G support, improved call quality, bubble feature, live caption, and more. While the latest version also improves battery life, Focus mode which is similar to the Do Not Disturb mode, etc. Apart from that Android 10 also features 65 new emojis. It also comes with direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices.
Android 10 Features
Here we will provide short details of the most highlighted features of Android 10 (aka Android Q). Check out the Top 10 Android 10 features.
- Live Caption: This feature will automatically start caption when you will play media on your phone.
- Smart Reply: It will offer suggested responses or actions to your incoming messages like Facebook Messenger.
- Sound Amplifier: It will boost audio, filter background noise, and fine-tune the sound for the improved listening experience.
- New Gesture Navigation: This system is now smoother and faster than before.
- Dark Theme: It offers better battery backup and reduces eye strain during lowlight conditions.
- Privacy Controls: It feature offers your device system to choose when and how your data will be shared.
- Location Controls: It feature also offers advanced security layer and control any apps or the map to access your location.
- Faster Security Updates: This option will be useful for both the smartphone OEMs and users via Google Play service. This will offer faster updates.
- Focus Mode: It’s an improved version of Digital Wellbeing feature with enhanced user interface and few changes.
- Family Link: It’s quite similar to the Focus mode which is basically for kids. The parents can now control device or apps usage time limits and content limits as well.
Android 10 AOSP Custom ROM:
After the release of Android 10 officially to Pixel devices, Xiaomi and OnePlus are also providing beta builds. Now, the AOSP Custom ROM developers have developed the latest ROM version for the Xiaomi Mi 6 devices. Now, check out the installation steps along with download links and pre-requirements below.
Steps to Install Android 10 ROM on Xiaomi Mi 6
First, you have to unlock the device bootloader in order to flash any Custom ROM. Then you have to use this recovery to flash the ROM. However, this recovery won’t work for Pie-based ROMs. So you’ll need to use this recovery for flashing this Android 10 ROM only. But before going to the process. let’s take a look at requirements and download links first.
- This is Android 10 based AOSP Custom ROM file and supported for Xiaomi Mi 6 only.
- You will require to unlock the device bootloader at first.
- Download the required TWRP file, AOSP ROM file, and Android 10 GApps file from below.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
Instructions to Install:
- Make sure that you have downloaded all the required files on your device.
- Now, copy the TWRP image file, GApps file, and ROM zip file to your device internal storage.
- Next, reboot your Xiaomi Mi 6 into recovery mode.
- You will boot into TWRP Recovery mode.
- In recovery menu, tap on Install button > Install Image > Select the TWRP Image file from the location where you have moved earlier.
- Swipe to confirm flash.
- Now, reboot to recovery mode again.
- In the TWRP menu, go to Wipe section.
- Select Advanced Wipe > Select the data, system, vendor, cache. Then swipe to wipe it.
- Flash the ROM zip file from the Install option.
- The system will be mounted already Uncheck it & Remount system and vendor manually. Then flash Gapps zip file as well.
- Finally, reboot your phone into a new system. Wait for it, as the boot process will take a few minutes.
- That’s it. Enjoy!
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the AOSP Android 10 Custom ROM on your Xiaomi Mi 6 handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.