Despite disputes in many countries, TikTok managed to become one of the most preferred social media to share and watch short videos. Tiktok uses the location details of its users to provide content based on the location. But at some point, you may want to change location or region in Tiktok to get content from a different location or country.
Changing location was previously possible from the settings menu in the app. So you can get content from the location of your choice. For some reason, TikTok decided to exclude this option from its settings menu. This makes it impossible to get content from the region of your choice.
Now, TikTok uses the physical location of the user to determine the location and provide content related to that region or country. So there is some workaround you can do to get content from your preferred region. Let’s see them here in this article.
Why Changing Your Location in TikTok is Important: Reasons and Benefits
Changing your location or region on TikTok can be beneficial for a number of reasons. Here are some reasons why you may want to consider changing your location or region on TikTok:
- Content: TikTok is designed to show you content that is relevant to your location or region. By changing your location, you can see what kind of content people in other parts of the world are sharing, and broaden your understanding of different cultures and perspectives.
- Privacy: Changing your location can help protect your privacy. For example, if you are traveling and don’t want people to know your exact location, you can set your location to a different city or country.
- Access: Some content on TikTok may be restricted in certain regions due to licensing agreements or government regulations. By changing your location, you may be able to access content that is not available in your region.
- Marketing: If you are a marketer or social media influencer, changing your location can help you reach new audiences and grow your following. You can target specific regions or countries with your content and engage with users in those areas.
Overall, changing your location or region on TikTok can open up new opportunities and help you explore different parts of the world. However, it’s important to note that changing your location does not guarantee access to all content, as there may be other factors at play such as language or account restrictions.
How to change Location or Region in TikTok?
We will follow three workarounds that can help you get content from other regions in your Tiktok app. We are going to:
- Use a VPN service to change location.
- Change Language preferences
- Start watching content from a different location.
Let’s see these workarounds detailed.
Method 1: Use VPN Service
VPN servers help to hide our original IP address by routing our Internet traffic through another IP or Tunnel, which can also be used to emulate IP addresses from a different location. So we are going to use a VPN server.
First, download your preferred free or paid VPN server from Playstore or Appstore.
Now, open the VPN app and select a region of your choice from the location option.
Connect to the location by clicking on “Connect.”
Finally, if you open Tiktok, you should see content from the location you selected on your feed.
This simulates as you were at the location you specified, and hence Tiktok will try to provide content from the location.
Method 2: Change language preferences
This method will trick the Tiktok algorithm into providing you the content on the language of your preference. Now for this, you just have to add the languages to your content preference.
To do so:
- Tap on your profile icon and click on the three dots to the top right corner.
- Now tap on content preferences and tap on Add language.
- Finally, add the language from which you’d like to get content.
Note: You can add more languages to obtain more content.
- Close the settings menu and return to the home screen.
This method has to be combined with method 3 (below) to work completely.
Method 3: Engage with content from other regions
So for the trick to work, you should start engaging with the content from the location or language you added in Method 2.
- Firstly, open Discover and search for a location you like, say France.
- Now scroll through content featuring the region and start liking and adding the content to your list.
- Also, don’t forget to follow the person for the content.
Now, this helps the Tiktok to learn that you like content from that region, and the TikToks algorithm will show more content from the region.
Is this better or Worse?
Comparing to the option to change the region directly, this method might seem very lengthy and time-consuming. Although if you change location, you’d only get content from that location.
Instead, if you follow the above-mentioned method, you should get contents from all the regions and languages you prefer or like. So this must be an advantage over the other method.
Method 4: Getting New number for the location
I’ve saved this method to the last because this is not easy. If you could obtain the phone no. for the location or region of your choice, you can easily change the contents region. Because Tiktok uses the location or region details from you Mobile, no, so getting a mobile no. for the region would be a huge bonus.
If you want, you can also try some third-party Phone no. provider who is giving Phone no. for other locations for office use. However, such methods are always expensive.
So, to sum up, this is how you can change your location or Region settings in the TikTok app. It’s bad that they removed to option to manually select the preferred region. But these workarounds are simple. You can try these without any issues.