After launching the device in the European market, Xiaomi decided to launch the Poco M3 Pro 5G in India. This is a budget 5G series device that comes with a triple rear camera setup that includes a 48-megapixel main camera, a 2-megapixel macro camera, and a 2-megapixel depth sensor. There is an 8-megapixel selfie camera onboard.
Well, If you are here, then you may probably want to install the Custom ROM on Poco M3 Pro 5G. As you read our title, yes we can guide you on installing the latest custom ROM on Poco M3 Pro 5G based on GSI build.
When you buy a new phone, it comes with so-called stock ROM or stock firmware which basically means a pre-installed operating system. This ROM usually comes with some limited functionality defined by the OEM (phone manufacturer). Whereas a custom ROM is developed by using AOSP also known as Android Open Source Project. Yes, we all know that Android is open-source and therefore any developer can edit the code, or recompile it according to his or her need. You can read our complete article to understand the difference between Custom ROM and Stock ROM.
Flashing the ROM in Poco M3 Pro 5G is easy! All you need to do is follow the instructions carefully. If you are a newbie, then you need to understand that before flashing, you must unlock the bootloader on your Poco M3 Pro 5G. To unlock the bootloader, follow our guide on how to unlock the bootloader via fastboot mode on any Android device.
If you already unlocked the bootloader, then you can simply follow our guide to install the custom ROM on Poco M3 Pro 5G. Before that, let’s understand What is a GSI build.
What is GSI Stands for?
GSI stands for Generic system image which is an Android System image that can be used to replace the current installed Android version with a new one. It is a pure Android with an unmodified Android Open Source Project (AOSP) code. With Android 8.1, Google introduced the project treble support for many devices and now with Android 9.0 Pie, Google finally added the API level 28 to support Generic System Images to all app developers to install and run the latest Android GSIs on a variety of existing Android devices. To know more: Read here
Poco M3 Pro 5G Device Overview:
The Poco M3 Pro 5G features a 6.3-inch IPS LCD panel with a resolution of 1080 x 2340 pixels and an aspect ratio of 19.5:9. It is a standard 60 Hz panel protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5. Under the hood, we have the MediaTek Helio G85 processor built on a 12nm manufacturing process. It is an octa-core processor with two Cortex-A75 cores clocked at 2.0 GHz and six Cortex-A55 cores clocked at 1.8 GHz. For handling the graphics-intensive tasks, we have the Mali-G52 MC2.
In terms of optics, we have a quad-camera setup at the rear and a single camera setup at the front. The rear setup consists of a 48MP primary sensor paired with an f/1.8 lens, an 8MP ultrawide sensor paired with an f/2.2 lens, a 2MP macro sensor paired with an f/2.4 lens, and a 2MP depth sensor paired with an f/2.4. The single selfie sensor is a 13MP sensor paired with an f/2.0 lens. Both the front and rear camera setups are limited to 1080p video recording.
We get two storage options for this device: 4GB RAM + 64GB internal storage and 4GB RAM + 128GB internal storage. There is also a dedicated slot for storage expansion. In terms of communications, we get Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS, Infrared, FM radio and USB Type-C 2.0. And for sensors, we have a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, and compass. Powering it all is a 4000 mAh cell that can be topped up quickly using an 18W fast charging adapter. The smartphone is available in three color options: Neptune Blue, Moonlight White, and Space Black.
How to Install Custom ROM on Poco M3 Pro 5G
To install, as we said, you need to unlock the bootloader and must have a TWRP (to install via a device) or a PC (to install via Fastboot). Yes, there are two methods to install the custom ROM GSI on Poco M3 Pro 5G.
AOSP GSIs which is still marked as a pre-release. Even on a device that runs Pie GSIs nicely, it’s still possible to get broken media, camera, RIL, or even flat-out no-boot. You are strongly advised to try PHH’s original and then identify/report issues there, before moving onto other GSIs that are based on his work. Please report bugs on the same thread related to the ROM.
We’re at GetDroidTips won’t be responsible for any kind of damage or error that occurs to your handset while or after following this guide. This is a Custom ROM and may contain some of the bugs or stability issues. We can’t recommend you to use this firmware as your daily driver. Proceed at your own risk.
- This guide is for Xiaomi Poco M3 Pro 5G.
- You will require to unlock the device bootloader at first
- ARM, ARM64, or x86: Check your Android Phone’s Processor
- Treble Support: Check If Your Smartphone Supports Project Treble
- Download the required file and Supported the GApps file from below.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
- Download and install Xiaomi USB Drivers
- For adb method: Download ADB and Fastboot tool
- For TWRP Method: Download and Install TWRP Recovery on Poco M3 Pro 5G
A only arm32 – arm avN
A only arm64 – arm64 avN
A/B arm64 – arm64 bvN
A/B arm32 – arm bvN
- AOSP Quack Phh-Treble: Download
- LineageOS 18.1 Download – If broken link, check official forum
- Pixel Experience: Download | Official Forum
Install via TWRP Recovery:
- To install via TWRP, you need to factory reset your device using TWRP
- Go into the Wipe option and Swipe to Factory Reset.
- Transfer the GSI build to your Poco M3 Pro 5G using a USB Cable.
- Once you have moved, you can remove your USB cable.
- In your TWRP, tap on the install button –> Change type to Install Image and find the GSI you have moved in the 3rd step.
- Confirm the flash by choosing the system partition
- Once it is done, you can reboot your device and wait for a few minutes to boot up.
Flash via Fastboot
- First, do the factory reset on Poco M3 Pro 5G. There are two methods to do it, follow anyone.
- Factory Reset When Powered On: To install without TWRP, you have to factory reset using your Umdigi A7 Pro factory reset option.
- Factory Reset via Stock Recovery: Reboot your Poco M3 Pro 5G into stock recovery using a button combination or ADB command.
adb reboot recovery
- In your Stock Recovery, navigate using the Volume UP and DOWN button.
- Make sure to extract the downloaded GSI build.
- After resetting the factory ROM, you can now boot your device into bootloader mode using adb command
adb reboot bootloader.
- Now open the extracted folder of GSI build, there, now open the command prompt window by holding the SHIFT KEY and Right Mouse click.
- In your command window, enter the command
fastboot erase system
- To flash the system image, enter a command in the following format:
fastboot -u flash system name_of_system.img
- Wait for the image to flash, it could take a few minutes. Once it has been completed, reboot your device either manually via power key or by entering
fastboot rebootand wait for a few minutes to boot up.
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the Custom ROM on your Poco M3 Pro 5G handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.
Credits to all the developer from XDA forum.
Did you know?