Our web experiences depend a lot on how scrolling happens on the browsers we use—a fast and responsive scrolling need for enhanced user experience. Scrolling is one of the oldest interactions on the web and is also the most common one. Scrolling helps in stretching beyond the available view, and if the browser is slow or gets stuck, it is annoying to the user.
The most common issue that users face while scrolling is that either the browser is too slow or too fast. Due to this, a new option called “Smooth Scrolling” has come up, and many popular browsers like Firefox and Google Chrome have adopted it. Microsoft Edge had a lot of issues with its older version with jagged scrolling, and its tight coupling with the operating system made it difficult to bring the best user experience to other OS or even to earlier versions of Windows before Windows 10.
MS calls it “personality” improvements in Edge, which starts with its Chromium version, giving users a better “Scroll personality.” This will deliver a more meaningful scrolling experience, which is also better in performance.
Some of the issues without Smooth Scrolling enabled in Edge
- The page down button on Edge would take you right to the bottom of the page and page upright to the top of the page.
- Incorrectly clipped content or missing content
- Broken sites
- Issues with wheel, touch, or even scrollbar scrolling took about 1 second
The new and improved Edge matches with the underlying OS to give many benefits.
Enabling Smooth Scrolling in Microsoft Edge – It is a simple affair and needs few steps as detailed below:
Use the Edge Flags in the browser –
Open Microsoft Edge browser and in the address bar type the following Edge://flags/
- There open a dialog box with a search bar, type the following in the search bar smooth scroll
- Then you can see a Smooth scrolling option in the list with a drop-down on the side, select “Enabled” from the drop-down options.
- Finally, click on the “Restart” button on the same screen as the Microsoft Edge needs to be restarted for your changes to take effect.
Using system properties –
- Invoke Run dialog box by pressing Window key + R
- In the Run text, type systempropertiesadvanced and click OK
- now you can open the System Property Wizard, select the Advanced tab here
- In the Advanced tab, you would find a “Performance” section, click the “Settings” button in this section
- This will open up performance options dialog box, under the “Customs” radio button; you would find many checkboxes, select the checkbox with “Smooth-scroll list boxes.”
- Click on the Apply button and enter OK.
While you enable smooth-scrolling options on Edge, you get several new features in your browser experience. Edge and Chromium now have a new animation curve, which gives the improved impulse and smooth personality experience with every scrolling action like touch fling, scrollbar scroll, wheel, keyboard, etc.
Anyway, we hope after reading this article, you are able to improve scrolling features in MS Edge-1. You can follow the steps mentioned above to activate smooth scrolling in Microsoft edge. As well as we are expecting, Microsoft will come up with new smooth features in the coming days. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.
- How to Use Multiple User Profiles in Microsoft Edge
- How to Remove or Uninstall Microsoft Edge Browser
- Microsoft Edge vs Google Chrome: Which Browser is Best?
- How to Use Tracking Prevention Settings in Microsoft Edge?
- How to Secure Your Microsoft Edge Browser in Privacy Settings?
- Microsoft Edge: How to Install and Use Extensions
- How to Stop Installing Edge Extensions in Microsoft Edge Browser?