Screen-related issues have become common for televisions. Consider yourself lucky if any of your television has not faced this problem. The most common issue with TVs is the black screen. It leaves many people clueless as to why the problem is occurring. They do not see anything on the screen, including the error message. Hence, fixing it becomes a slightly tedious task. In this blog, we’ll discuss the possible reasons why your LG smart TV might be showing a black screen and solutions.
Those who affect say that the audio keeps coming, but the display does not output anything. Not even an error message. LG makes some good smart TVs. Despite being one of the popular and most selling television brands, their products can run into problems like anyone’s other ones. Before we dive into the solutions to fix the black screen of death, it’s important to know why your LG TV is running into such issues.
Reasons for Black Screen of Death Problem on LG Smart TV
LG smart TVs can run into a problem where the screen does not have pictures, but the audio keeps coming out of the speakers. Here are some of the reasons why your TV could be facing the issue:
- Loose Cables: If all the cables, including the HDMI cable, have not been connected properly, the device can run into many problems.
- Outdated Firmware: If your LG smart TV is running an outdated firmware version, many issues can occur, including the picture not loading issue.
- Power Issues: Smart TVs require a minimum amount of power to work properly. If the amount of power it is getting is not sufficient, the picture can break or might not appear at all.
- Software Bug: If there are any temporary bugs or software glitches in your smart TV, the device can run into many problems.
- Hardware Failure: You will likely face issues with the pictures if any of the components inside the TV are missing.
LG Smart TV Black Screen of Death Problem, How to Fix?
Now that we have a good understanding of what might be triggering the black screen of death problem, it’s time to apply the solutions to get them fixed.
Solution 1: Check the Cables
The cable should be connected properly to take the smart TV’s full leverage. Not doing this can be an invitation to many problems. Inspect every cable carefully and make sure that none of them are damaged. Also, make sure that the HDMI cable is connected properly.
A loose HDMI cable can result in screen flickering, black screen, and more. Hence, it’s a must to properly connect the HDMI cable. You also need to take care of the sound and video cables. Ensure they are connected to the correct ports and are not loose. Remove any cables if you are unsure about them and plug them in again. Now, turn on the TV and check whether the issue is fixed.
If your LG smart TV still shows a black screen, plug the HDMI cable into another HDMI slot (if there’s any). We also need to make sure that the HDMI cable is not defective from the inside. For this, you’ll need a new HDMI cable. Connect the new one to the TV and check if the problem is fixed.
Solution 2: Power Cycle Your LG Smart TV
If the black screen on your LG smart TV is caused by a software bug or a system glitch, this method can do the trick for you.
Here’s how to perform a power cycle on your LG TV:
- Unplug the power cable from the wall socket.
- Keep it unplugged for 5 minutes.
- Plug the power cable back into the wall socket.
- Turn on the TV and check if the issue persists.
Solution 3: Change Picture Mode and Backlight Settings
It makes sense to change the picture mode and backlight settings to fix the problem as the incorrect settings can cause a black screen. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- Press the Home button on your TV remote.
- Select Settings and tap on All Settings.
- Select Picture Settings.
- Now, set the Picture mode as Standard.
- Reduce the backlight level and set it to 20.
- Now, set the brightness at 50.
Solution 4: Factory Reset Your LG TV
Factory reset is the best solution to remove any issues on the software side. But, it comes at a cost of losing all saved data. All saved Wi-Fi networks, Bluetooth devices, and linked accounts get removed. A factory reset makes the device new at the software level.
- Press the Home button on the remote.
- Open the Settings menu and select All Settings.
- Tap on General.
- Select Reste to initial settings.
- Press OK to confirm factory reset.
I strongly believe that the black screen of death issue on your LG smart TV would have been solved after applying these solutions. But, even if the problem is still here, check for any damage in the wall socket. It’s better to plug the power cable into another wall socket. The problem seems to be a hardware failure if it does not work. Likely, a component on the motherboard is not working. For this, you need to contact LG customer support.