In this tutorial, we will show you how to root the Oneplus Nord 2T 5G using Magisk’s patched boot image file. Oneplus Nord 2T 5G was launched globally as their new budget smartphone that runs on OxygenOS 12.1 based on Android 12. The smartphone features a 6.43-inch full-HD+ AMOLED with a 90Hz refresh rate. The display comes with HDR10+ support and is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5. Under the hood, it gets a MediaTek Dimensity 1300 SoC, which is paired with up to 12GB of RAM.
But these features are just the tip of the iceberg. There are a plethora of customizations waiting for you at the other end. All that is needed is an unlocked bootloader and the administrative privilege in the form of the root. And in this guide, we will help you do just that. From this tutorial, you could easily root your Oneplus Nord 2T 5G device. Since there isn’t any TWRP build for this device, we will be making use of the Magisk patched boot image file. But first, let’s check out some of the advantages and risks associated with a rooted device.
Oneplus Nord 2T 5G Device Overview:
The Oneplus Nord 2T 5G features a 6.43-inch AMOLED panel with a 90 Hz refresh rate. It is an FHD+ panel with a resolution of 1080 x 2400 pixels and an aspect ratio of 20:9. Under the hood, we get the MediaTek Dimensity 1300 processor built on a 6nm manufacturing process. It is an octa-core processor with one ultra core ARM Cortex A78 core clocked at 3 GHz, three ARM Cortex A78 super cores clocked at 2.6 GHz, and four Cortex-A55 cores clocked at 2 GHz. For handling the graphics-intensive tasks, we have the ARM Mali-G77 MC 9 GPU, which is a nine-core GPU. The phone comes with Android 12 out of the box with OxygenOS 12.1 running on it.
In terms of optics, we get a .triple camera setup at the rear and a single selfie camera at the front. The triple camera setup consists of a 50MP primary sensor paired with an f/1.9 lens, a .2MP depth sensor paired with an f/2.2 lens, and an 8MP ultrawide sensor paired with an f/2.2 lens. The primary camera has OIS built into it. The selfie camera at the front is a 32MP primary sensor paired with an f/2.4 lens. The rear camera system can capture 4K videos, while the front is limited to 1080p video recording.
The smartphone comes with two storage options: 128GB internal storage + 8GB RAM, and 256GB internal storage + 12GB RAM. We do not get a MicroSD slot for storage expansion. In terms of communications, we get Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS, NFC, and USB Type-C 2.0. And for sensors, we get an under-display optical fingerprint sensor, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, and compass. Powering it all is a 4,500 mAh battery that can be topped up quickly using an 80W power adapter included in the box. The smartphone is available in two color options: Gray Shadow and Jade Fog.
Advantages of Rooting
Once you have rooted your device, you could then easily install Magisk Modules, Xposed Frameworks, Substratum Themes, and a plentitude of other mods. Along the same lines, you could also carry out tweaks related to the system partition, install custom kernels, and even overclock or overclock the CPU.
Likewise, rooting asks for an unlocked bootloader, and the latter itself holds some nifty advantages. For example, you could install custom ROMs and a custom recovery like TWRP. However, a rooted device brings in some uninvited risks as well. So before you proceed with the steps to root your Oneplus Nord 2T 5G, make yourself aware of the risks that are mentioned below.
Risks with a Rooted Device
To begin with, rooting asks for an unlocked bootloader, and doing so might make the device’s warranty null and void. Furthermore, apps like Google Pay or Pokemon Go might refuse to work. Netflix also won’t be able to play videos in HD as the L1 Certification will be degraded to L3. Furthermore, there will also be a complete device format.
Not to mention the fact that the entire process is itself risky and might leave you with a bricked or boot-looped device. So now you have complete knowledge regarding the advantages and disadvantages of rooting. If you are ready to proceed ahead, then here are the steps to root your Oneplus Nord 2T 5G device. Follow along.
How to Root Oneplus Nord 2T 5G
In general cases, one could easily flash the Magisk Installer ZIP file via TWRP to root the device. However, since there isn’t any working TWRP for this device, you cannot flash the Installer file. Therefore we will be using the Magisk patched boot image file for the entire process. Go through the below prerequisites and then proceed with the steps to root your Oneplus Nord 2T 5G device.
- Create a complete device backup. Although rooting doesn’t wipe off the device data but unlocking the bootloader will. Moreover, it is always recommended to be on the safer side.
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your Nord 2 5G device. The former will be needed to execute ADB commands while the latter will be used for the unlocking process. To enable them, go to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable the USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking toggle.
- It goes without saying that your device should be sufficiently charged as well.
- Download the latest version of Magisk Manager APK on your device. Don’t install it now as we would be unlocking the bootloader which will wipe off all the data from your device. Hence, install Magisk Manager APK once the unlocking process has been completed.
- Furthermore, the stock boot.img file for your current firmware will also be needed.
- Download stock boot.img: Indian Variant | EU Variant
- Download and install Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This will provide us with the necessary ADB and Fastboot binaries.
That is all the required files. You may now proceed with the steps to root your Oneplus Nord 2T 5G device. The entire instructions will be broken down into separate sections for ease of understanding. Follow along.
STEP 1: Unlock Bootloader
To begin with, you will have to unlock the bootloader on your Nord 2 5G device. The below instructions should help you out in this regard. For the detailed instructions set, you could refer to our guide on How To Unlock Bootloader On Any OnePlus Smartphone.
- Connect your device to the PC via USB cable. Make sure USB debugging is enabled,
- Head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Now type in the below command in the CMD window. This will boot your device to the fastboot mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your device gets booted to Fastboot, type in the following command to unlock the device’s bootloader:
fastboot oem unlock
- You will now receive a confirmation message on your device. Use the Volume keys to highlight the option- Unlock the Bootloader. Then press the Power key to confirm your decision.
- That is it. The bootloader on your Nord 2 5G is now unlocked. Use the below command to reboot your device to Android OS:
- As soon as it boots up, set it up using your Google Account and proceed with the next set of instructions to root Oneplus Nord 2T 5G.
STEP 2: Patch Stock Boot Image File via Magisk
It’s now time to patch your device’s stock boot.img file via Magisk Manager. Refer to the below steps to do so:
- Install the Magisk Manager APK onto your Nord 2 5G device. You might have to enable Installation from Unknown sources as well.
- Also, transfer the stock boot.img file to your device’s internal storage.
- Launch the Magisk Manager APK and tap on the Install button next to the “Magisk is not installed” message.
- In the next popup that appears, tap on Install followed by Select and Patch a File.
- Now browse to the stock boot.img file and select it.
- Magisk will now begin patching the file, which should take a few seconds only. Once that is done, you should get an “All Done” message.
- Once that is done, head over to the Downloads folder and you should see the magisk_patched.img file.
STEP 3: Flashing Patched Boot Image File
We will now have to flash this magisk_patched.img file via fastboot commands. Since the device has a dual slot, we will first have to check the active slot and then flash this file onto that slot. Here are the required instructions for that:
- Transfer the magisk_patched.img to the platform-tools folder on your PC.
- Connect your device to the PC via USB cable. Make sure USB debugging has been enabled.
- Now open the Command prompt window inside the platform-tools folder (by typing in CMD in its address bar). Type in the below command to boot your device to fastboot mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Execute the below command in the CMD window to check for the current-active slot:
fastboot getvar current-slot
- If you get current-slot: a, then use the below command:
fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img
- On the other hand, if the output turns out to be current-slot:b, then this command will come in handy:
fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img
- Once the patched boot.img file has been flashed, your device will be successfully rooted. You may now reboot your device to the system. Either use the hardware buttons or the below command:
- You could now launch the Magisk Manager APK and the status will show as “Magisk is up to date”.
That is it. These were the steps to root the Oneplus Nord 2T 5G. Until there is a working TWRP build, rooting via the patched boot.img is the sole way out. Just make sure that the stock boot.img file corresponds to your currently installed firmware. Furthermore, it is recommended to take a backup of the /persist partition once you have rooted your Nord 2 5G. For that, use the following command: dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist of=/sdcard/persist.img.
Then save this persist file to your PC. This might save you from a broken fingerprint sensor and an RMA if there might be any issues with crossflash regional builds of OOS in the near future, Apart from that, if you have other queries, do let us know in the comments section below. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Trick that you should check out as well.