Discord is free to use a communication tool that was developed with gamers in mind. Users can create channels, add people to the channel, and communicate while playing a game. The app also has a cool in-game overlay feature that lets you send messages or voice chat with an overlay within the game.
This overlay will show you all the users in the chat, and you can also send text messages through it. Players can also move the overlay around and place it in a corner where it doesn’t cause any distraction when gaming. If you haven’t used this feature yet, then we’re going to show you how to activate and modify Discord’s In-Game Overlay. Let’s get started.
How to Activate Discord’s In-Game Overlay
The In-Game overlay feature has been available in Discord for a long time and is very easy to enable. This feature currently works only on the desktop app, and that’s where most players are going to use it. Here’s how to enable the In-Game overlay.
- Launch the Discord app.
- Head over to User Settings.
- Click on the overlay and enable the ‘In-Game Overlay’ option.
- Now, select the Games tab.
- Click on the game that you want the overlay to be activated on, then enable the option.
That’s about it. You have now successfully activated Discord’s In-Game Overlay for the selected games. The overlay will now appear in the game, and you can chat, make voice calls, etc., all while playing the game. To avoid distraction while gaming, the overlay window is translucent. You can also bring up the overlay with a custom keybind, and this can be easily set up using the keyboard action.
How to Modify Discord’s In-Game Overlay
Now that you’ve enabled the in-game overlay in your favorite games, it’s time to learn some tips and tricks to make things more streamlined. For example, you can adjust the size of the overlay, move it around, make it translucent, pin certain windows such as chats, and a lot more. Let’s take a look at how to do all this.
- Pin Overlay – If you want to pin a particular in-game overlay from Discord, then all you have to do is tap on the pin button on the top right corner of the overlay Window. This will pin the window so that you can see it even when playing the game. You can also adjust the opacity of the overlay window, so it doesn’t distract too much. This option is great for text chats where you can read real-time messages, but you won’t be able to reply. You can assign a keybind to reply to the messages.
- Resize Overlay – You can also resize the overlay window and move it around the screen. The resize button is available on the bottom right corner of the window. To move the windows around, click on hold the top area of the window and move it anywhere you like.
- Notifications in Overlay – You will be able to receive notifications for voice calls, text messages, and game invites. To modify how notifications appear, head over to User Settings on Discord, select the Overlay tab, and click on Overlay Notifications. You can now choose where the notifications will appear on the game screen. There’s also a Settings button in the notification window, which allows you to adjust avatar size, display name, display users, and where the notifications appear. To turn off notifications, you will have to click on the center.
Most of the Discord’s In-Game Overlay works great with almost all the games out there. However, some games may face issues, and we suggest that you turn off In-Game Overlay for those. Discord is used by a lot of players mainly for voice chat or text messages, and in-game overlays have made it easier to keep in contact without having to minimize the game. We hope you’ve learned how to activate and modify Discord’s In-Game overlay with this guide. If you’ve got any questions or tips regarding this, please use the comments section.