DISM stands for the acronym of Deployment Image Servicing and Management. It is an essential Windows utility. You must have heard about DISM while dealing with any Windows Updates or driver problems, as DISM is used as a command-line to fix these problems.
The main job of DISM is to mount and service the Windows Images, which are used for Windows Recovery and Windows Setup. DISM is a necessary feature, but lately, people have been seeing many errors with DISM. If you are one of the users who are experiencing the DISM Error 2, then continue reading because we have some solutions in store for you.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is DISM Error 2?
- 2 Solutions to fix the DISM error 2:
What is DISM Error 2?
DISM error 2 comes with an error message that says, “The system cannot find the file specified.” DISM is a built-in utility for the Windows operating system. It is used to fix many Windows corruption errors. But when you are having the DISM error 2, it stops you from running the command line. DISM is an important feature as used to service .wim (Windows image) or .vhd/.vhdx (virtual hard disk). So, it’s essential to fix this DISM error 2. Otherwise, it can disturb your system. The error can come up due to an incorrect version of DISM. It can also happen because of the interference of your Antivirus software.
Here, we are going to discuss some possible solutions to fix the DISM error 2. Try the solutions and see if one of the solutions can fix the error for you.
Solutions to fix the DISM error 2:
Solution 1: Check if you are using the correct version of DISM
First of all, you must check that you are having the correct version of DISM installed on your computer with the Windows ADK. You should not mount the images in the UserDocuments folder as it is a protected folder. And you can run the commands using WinPE.
Solution 2: Recovery Command Prompt
To fix the DISM error 2, you can try running the recovery Command Prompt. It will help to refresh the DISM tool. The process is simple. You only have to follow the steps given below.
- Go to the Start menu.
- Choose the “Command Prompt (Admin)” option.
- Run this command line and press Enter– exe/image:C /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
- Restart your computer.
- Now, you have to run in the recovery command prompt.
- Run this command line- exe /online/Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
- After the cleanup is done, restart your computer.
- Open the search bar and type “cmd“.
- The Command Prompt will open, then right-click on it and choose the “Run as Administrator” option.
- Now, run the command line- sfc/scannow
- Click Enter and then restart your computer again.
- Open the Command Prompt Window to run this command line- dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Wait for the process to complete and then check for the error.
If the error continues, go to the next solution.
Solution 3: Interference of the Antivirus
The DISM error 2 can happen because of the Antivirus installed on your computer. You can disable the Antivirus software for some time and see if the error solved or not. If the error is cleared, you should consider uninstalling that Antivirus application and use a better one.
Solution 4: Fix the error using the Disk Defragmenter
Another solution for DISM error 2 is to use the Disk Defragmenter. It helps in resetting the fragmented data and can help in resolving the error for you. Follow the steps given below.
- To use this process, you need to have Administrative Privilege.
- The first step is to log in as an Administrator.
- Go to the Start menu.
- Choose File Explorer.
- You have to expand This PC.
- Now, click on the Local Disk (C:) to choose Properties.
- Choose the Tools tab.
- You will see the option “Optimize” under the section “Optimize and defragment the drive.”
- Now, choose to Apply and press Enter.
Even if after this process the error persists, try the next and last solution.
Solution 5: Reset your computer
If none of the above solutions worked for you, then try resetting your computer. When you reset, all the files will be deleted, and the settings you have changed will get restored. So, it would be best if you did not forget to choose the “Keep my files” option when you start with the resetting. Follow these steps to reset your computer.
- Search for Settings in Cortana’s search bar.
- Choose Update & Security.
- Find the Recovery option and click on it.
- Locate the “Reset this PC” option.
- Left-click on the “Get started” option.
- You can select the Keep my files option.
- The process can take some time. After the process is complete, check for the error.
DISM is a necessary tool for your system. It allows you to configure and update Windows features, packages, and drivers. But DISM error 2 prevents you from accessing the DISM tool. So, you need to resolve this error.
As looking for different solutions everywhere can be time-consuming, we have given you simple and easy steps to get rid of this error on your own. You only have to go through the solutions mentioned above, and one of them will surely help you with fixing the DISM error 2. We hope this article comes in your use. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.