Technologically, we have developed from Windows XP to Windows 10 OS. Along with that we also witnessed the massive development in the computer hardware. However, the keyboard lineup remains the same as it used to be years ago. All those same keys, except some makers, tend to drop the separate number keys. Rest all keys are just the same. Speaking of which, everyone must have seen the PrtSc key. It’s the key which upon tapping captures the screen content visible to the user. Then it makes it available in an image form for printing purposes.
A lot of people also use the screenshot captured as images only without printing them. I use it a lot for using images in the articles I write. It is a useful key in the keyboard. Sometimes, users complain that the Print Screen is not working. So, I bring you this troubleshoot tutorial where I have mentioned various ways to fix this up. This fix is mostly for the users running their PC on Windows 10 latest version.
Fix Print Screen Not Working on Windows 10
Let’s begin with the troubleshooting.
Close the Programs
There may be some program running activities that may cause the print screen to not get captured properly. So, you have to close them.
- Press Ctrl + Alt +Delete to summon the Task Manager
- Select task manager from the list of options you will see
- Then the list of active apps and task swill be shown
- Right-click on any app to highlight it and a menu will expand out
- Select End task from that.
Do not terminate all the tasks. Just a few that you may not use at the moment of taking the screenshot. Then try taking the screenshot and see whether it works.
Use Alternative Keyboard Shortcuts
Yes, there are alternative shortcuts that you can implement by using key combinations from your keyboard.
- You can use Windows + PrtSc key combo if you are on a desktop
- If you are using a laptop, then use Fn + Windows key + PrtSc
The screenshot image captured will be saved to the Picture folder of your PC under the Screenshots folder.
Check if Print Screen Key is faulty
If the laptop becomes many years old, then it’s hardware starts to wear out. Sometimes, a few keys of the keyboard may not work. Mostly, if the keyboard is faulty, then it may require replacement.
Either you can take the laptop to the service center to get the keyboard checked or visit the website like the keyboard tester. This site will allow you to test every key on your keyboard and see if any key is faulty by pressing the keys.
Install the Update on the Keyboard Driver if Print Screen is Not Working
Sometimes, the problem may lie with the software that may cause the functionality to not work as intended. Hence, for making the PrtSc button work again, try to install driver updates for the keyboard of your PC/laptop.
- Type Device Manager in the Type Here to Search box. Click Open when that shows up
- In the list of devices, scroll down to Keyboards. Click to expand it
- Right-click on the keyboard model > click Update Driver
- After the update is installed, reboot your PC, and then once it opens, try to take a screenshot and I’m sure it should work fine.
Use the Snipping Tool
There is another alternative tool that yu can use which is available on Windows OS. It is the Snipping Tool.
- Hit Ctrl + S to open search
- Type Snipping Tool
- In the results, select Open
- Then select Mode and set it to Window Snip as we need to capture the full window ie the screen of the device
- Then click on the screen to capture.
- Later you can edit and save the screenshot that you captured.
So, that’s it, guys. If you find the Print screen is not working on your PC/laptop, then try to follow this tutorial and use the troubleshooting that I have explained. I’m sure it will work. Share your experience in the comments section.