In this tutorial, we will list the steps to find and fix random sounds issue on Windows 10. While using your PC, there are a lot of processes and applications running in the background. And sometimes there might be a popup notification or two accompanied by a sound that might intrigue you. Other times you might hear random popup sounds from your speaker. Well what exactly are these sounds and is it really related to hardware?
Before we directly jump into the hardware part, there are some fixes that you could try out on the software front. And in this tutorial, we will be listing five of those. On that note, let us check out the various fixes related to the random sound issues on your Windows 10 laptop or PC. Likewise, also check out our guide to manage, improve, and fix sound quality in Windows 10.
Table of Contents
How to Find and Fix Random Sounds issue on Windows 10
If you are hearing random sounds on your Windows 10 PC and are not able to find its source, then this guide will definitely come in handy. Let us check out various methods through which this problem could be fixed.
Fix 1: Restart your PC
Well, this might sound quite amusing, but a simple restart is generally able to fix most of the issues. So before you gear up for other fixes that require a little bit of more effort, go for a simple reboot, Just click on the Start menu > Power icon and select Restart. Once your PC reboots, the problem might have been rectified, if not try other fixes mentioned below.
Fix 2: Check Volume Mixer
The sound mixer on your PC shows all the sources and applications from which the sound is currently coming. This will give you an idea as to the source of the sound. You could then close the app and hence the random sounds issue on Windows 10 PC should be fixed.
To try out this fix, right-click on the sound icon present at the bottom right of your taskbar and click on the Open Volume Mixer option. Have a look at all the apps that are currently playing the sound, try closing them and see if the issue is rectified or not. Still, hearing random sounds? Head over to the next fix.
Fix 3: Use the Audio troubleshooter
The in-built audio troubleshooter might also help you in finding the problem. Here is how you could access this troubleshooter:
- Open Settings from the Start menu and search for Settings. You could also use the Windows+I shortcut key for the same.
- Within that, go to the Update & Security option and select the Troubleshoot option from the left menu bar.
- Under the Getup and running section, you will notice the Playing audio option. Click on it to bring about the Run troubleshooter option.
Click on it and follow the on-screen instructions to fix the random sounds issue on your Windows 10 PC or laptop. Or you could also right-click on the Sound icon situated at the bottom right and select Troubleshoot sound problem. Windows will then search your system and will bring about a solution if found. Finally, click on Apply this Fix option to rectify the issue.
Fix 4: Mute Connecting Sounds
Some users have also reported sounds coming on from the faulty mouse. The connection or the port of your PC to which the mouse is connected might be loose. So try reconnecting mouse to another port. If this doesn’t fix the issue, then try muting the connecting and disconnecting sound. Do note that this will apply to all the device that connects/disconnects from your PC. So with that mind, if you wish to go ahead, here are the instructions:
- Open Control Panel from the Start menu and click on the Category option situated at the top right. Select Small icons from the list. Then click on Sounds.
- Head over to the Sounds tab and in the Program Events section, look for Device Connect and Device Disconnect. Then click on the Sounds option and select None, for both these options. Hit OK.
- This will mute the connecting sound and more importantly, the random sound issue should also be fixed. Still no luck, then its time to deal with your PC’s sound drivers. Here is how it could be done.
Fix 5: Update Sound Drivers
If none of the above methods gave out fruitful results in your case, try updating the device’s sound driver. It might be the case of an older sound driver causing all the issues. So to update it, follow the below steps:
- Click on the Start menu and search for Device Manager.
- Then right-click on Audio, Input and output option.
- Click Update Driver from the option. In the subsequent menu that appears, select Search automatically for the updated driver software.
- Now also update the driver for the Sound, audio and game controller in the exact same manner as mentioned above.
Wait for the process to finish. Once it does, the random sounds issue on your Windows 10 PC should have been fixed.
So with that, we conclude this guide on how to fix thew random sound issues on your Windows 10 laptop or PC. There isn’t a universal fix for this problem. Try executing the above-mentioned fixes and one of them should definitely rectify this issue. Do let us know as well which method worked out for you. On that note, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Tricks that you should check out.
- How to enable System sound on Windows 10?
- No Sound with MKV files in Windows 10: Fix Inside
- How to fix NVIDIA High Definition Audio No sound issue on Windows 10
- How to Fix No Sound Problem in Hearthstone running Windows 10
- How to Manage, Improve, and Fix Sound Quality in Windows 10 ?
- Best Surround Sound Software for Windows 10