In 2018, Steam made the platform compatible with the PS4 Dualshock 4 pad. And there is no doubt that it is majestically customizable. Unlike any other controller, Dualshock 4 is not only helpful in playing all the supported games. But the touchpad can also act as a mouse, giving a glimpse of Windows. Everything was going so well for Steam and the PS4 controller that many users suddenly faced an incompatibility issue. To be more precise, users are experiencing Steam not recognizing PS4 controller issues.
So, if you are also a part of this crowd, then worry not, as it’s quite easy to get over the problem. In this post, we have shared different reasons and working fixes for Steam not recognizing the PS4 controller issue. So, without any further ado, let’s get started.
How To Turn Off Steam Notifications?
Fix: Twitch Link Removed from Steam Profile
Fix: Steam VR Headset Not Detected Error
Fix: PS4 and PS5 Not Able to Join Party
Fix: Steam Deck Not Connecting to Steam Servers
How to Increase Download Speeds on Steam
How to Fix Steam Achievements Not Unlocking Error
Best DNS Servers for Gaming PS4 and PS5
Fix: Steam Not Opening After Update on Windows 11
- Different Reasons Why Steam Not Detecting PS4 Controller?
- Fix: Steam Not Recognizing PS4 Controller
- Final Words
Different Reasons Why Steam Not Detecting PS4 Controller?
There can be multiple reasons because of which you are experiencing Steam not recognizing the PS4 controller issue. But in the majority of the cases, the problem can be solved just by restarting the steam client. However, in some cases, the cause can be serious and need some technical workaround. Nevertheless, here are the different reasons that can be responsible for the problem.
- Steam Client Problem – In the majority of the cases it has been seen that the steam client glitch is the main reason users are experiencing PS4 controller incompatibility issues.
- Glitched PS4 Controller – PS4 is connected to the PC via Bluetooth or USB cable. So, if the controller itself is not working properly, or better say, if it has been glitched then you will face different issues.
- Outdated Drivers – Each application or driver that you have installed on your PC needs to be updated at regular intervals. So, if there is any outdated USB driver then you will face different errors.
- Windows Malfunction – Windows itself is a complex operating system. So, it isn’t surprising that it is always prone to bugs and glitches. Steam not recognizing PS4 controller can be a part of this bug family as well.
- Glitched Bluetooth – PS4 can be connected to a PC via Bluetooth as well as a USB cable. So, if you are connecting using a Bluetooth controller then it might be the case that there is an error in the Bluetooth signal. And it will eventually result in different controller errors.
Now that you know the core reasons behind the problem, it’s time to check how you can fix them.
Fix: Steam Workshop Not Showing Up Mods
Fix: Steam Not Recognizing PS4 Controller
As easy and simple as the reasons are, similar is to solve them. However, as there isn’t any specific workaround released by the developers, you might have to go through all the below-mentioned methods to fix the problem. So, let’s check them out one by one.
Fix 1: Confirm Your Controller Is Working
Before getting into the technical aspects of the problem, it’s important that you first make sure that your controller is in the working state. Sometimes it might be the case that there is some fault with the controller itself and you are wondering what’s wrong with Steam. So, make sure your controller is fully charged. There isn’t any damage to the USB wire. Plus, you can also check the controller on any other device to confirm whether it’s working or not.
Once you are done with all these and confirmed that there isn’t any fault with the controller, it’s time to get into the technical solutions to the problem.
Fix 2: Reset PS4 Controller
If Steam is not recognizing the PS4 controller, although it’s showing connected in the display when plugged in then it’s an indication that there is something wrong with the controller. To fix this you will have to go through the resetting process. So here are the steps you need to follow to reset the PS4 Dualshock controller.
- First off, find the reset button on the Dualshock controller. It will be present next to the L2 button.
- You will have to push the button inside to reset the controller. To do so, you can try using a small clip, or paper.
- Keep holding the button for a few seconds before releasing it.
That’s it. Now reconnect the controller to the PC using a USB or Bluetooth connection. Check if you are still facing the problem. If not, you are good to go. However, if the issue continues, move on to the next workaround.
Fix 3: Check for Bluetooth Signal Barrier
As mentioned Steam not recognizing the PS4 controller can be caused because of Bluetooth Signal interference. To fix this, make sure that there isn’t any other device turned on while you are connected to the PS4 controller. So, here are the ways to do so.
- Open Steam on your PC.
- Click on the “Steam” option present at the top left corner.
- Now head towards Settings > Controller.
- Click on “General Controller Settings”.
- The Controller Windows will pop up.
- Uncheck all the options.
- Restart the Steam Client.
- Come back to the “Controller Window”.
- This time, just check the “PlayStation configuration support”.
Once done, restart the steam client again. Now, check if you are still facing the problem or not.
Fix 4: Turn Off Steam Configuration in Big Picture
It has been seen in many cases that disabling the Steam configuration in the big picture has solved the Steam not recognizing PS4 controller issue. You can also try this workaround and see if it changes anything or not. So, here are the steps you need to follow.
- Right-click on the Steam client present in the system tray area, and select “Big Picture”.
- Click on Library.
- Tap on “Installed”. And choose any game.
- Select “Manage Game Options” present on the left panel of the screen.
- Now, choose “Controller Option” available under the “Steam input”.
- The “Controller Application Option” window will pop up.
- Set the “Steam input program settings” to “Force off”.
Lastly, tap on Ok. Relaunch Steam, and open your game. Check whether the PS4 controller is now working or not.
Fix 5: Check for Latest Update
The chances are high that the developers are already aware of this problem, and they have fixed it in the latest update. Even if this isn’t the case, still, an outdated Steam client can cause different problems. So, make sure you have the latest Steam client version available on your system. Here are the steps you need to follow to download the latest Steam client.
- Open Steam client on your PC.
- Tap on the “Steam” option present at the top left corner.
- Click on check for Steam Client updates.
Now, the Steam client will check for any available updates online. If found, it will automatically download the update. Once updated, open your game on Steam and check if the problem is fixed or not. If not, move on to the last workaround to solve the problem.
Fix 6: Download Latest Windows Update
An outdated Windows can also cause Steam not recognizing PS4 controller issue. Microsoft keeps on releasing different updates to fix minor bugs and glitches that originate in the operating system. So, it’s always recommended to keep the system up to date. Nevertheless, here are the steps you need to follow to download the latest Windows update.
- Head over to the Windows Settings by pressing Windows + I shortcut key.
- Click on the “Windows Update” option present at the left panel of the screen.
- Click on “Check for Update”.
Windows will now check for any available updates. If found, it will automatically download it. Once done, restart your PC, open Steam, and launch your game. You will be surprised to see that you are no longer facing any controller incompatibility issues.
These were all the working fixes to solve Steam not recognizing PS4 controller issue. As mentioned, there isn’t any specific solution for the problem, thus you might have to go through all the workarounds and stick with the one that does the job for you. Moreover, you can share any other method that will be helpful in solving the problem in the comments.