Today we will guide you to install AOSP Android 9.0 Pie on Sony Xperia XZ3 which is based on Pie GSI build. Thanks to the XDA Recognized developer phhusson who developed the Project Treble GSI build for many Mediatek and Snapdragon-powered devices.
GSI stands for a Generic System image. The moniker “Generic” implies that such software images could be installed on any Treble-enabled device, irrespective of the manufacturer they belong to. We already shared the complete list of devices supported for Android Pie 9.0 Generic System image (GSI).
To install AOSP Android 9.0 Pie on Sony Xperia XZ3, you need to unlock the bootloader of Sony Xperia XZ3 and should be running the ADB fastboot driver on your PC.
What’s on Android 9.0 Pie?
Android 9.0 Pie is the 9th iteration and a major update of Google’s Android OS. The new Android Pie brings a couple of design changes to the successor Android Oreo but the most notable one is the gesture-based navigation system. Other features of Android 9 Pie are New Quick Settings UI design, Redesigned volume slider, Advanced Battery with AI Support, Notch Support, Improved Adaptive Brightness, Manual theme selection, Android Dashboard which Google calls Digital Wellbeing, and more other features.
[su_youtube_advanced url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HSqeuLK4G0″ controls=”alt” rel=”no”]
Guide to Install Android 9.0 Pie on Sony Xperia XZ3
If you are looking to install the latest version of Android OS on your device, then please follow this guide below to enjoy Android 9.0 Pie update for Sony Xperia XZ3.
[su_note note_color=”#fee9e9″ text_color=”#000000″]GSI build is still a work in progress, so this ROM may not be stable. Please try for yourself and see how things go around with the new Android Pie GSI build..
ROM is still under experiments. GetDroidTips will not be responsible for any internal/external damages to the device that may happen while/after following this guide.[/su_note]
- Supported device: Sony Xperia XZ3
- Charge your phone: You need 50% or more juice.
- Backup: Take a complete backup of your phone data [Follow any method]
- Do a full data wipe in the stock recovery (First try without wiping the data)
- Required drivers: Download Sony USB Drivers and Install on your PC
- Unlock Bootloader: You need to unlock the bootloader of your device.
- ADB Fastboot drivers: Download ADB and Fastboot tool [To flash via ADB Sideload Method]
Required ROM and Gapps Package:
- Download GSI Treble Firmware Files Here: Download
[su_note note_color=”#fefef3″ text_color=”#000000″]You will want just the GAPPS version to download and install AOSP Android Pie. Vanilla is basically plain w/o GAPPS, and FLOSS is with Open Source alternatives to the GAPPS.[/su_note]
Instructions to Flash:
To flash the AOSP Android 9.0 Pie on Sony Xperia XZ3, you can either use the TWRP Recovery method or you can flash via ADB Sideload method. If you already have, then make sure to download the above-given links.
Method 1: Install via TWRP Recovery
- First of all, make sure to download and move all the above required ROM packages on your Sony Xperia XZ3 Internal storage.
- You can now extract the GSI and vendor+boot zips [Complete Guide on How to extract any Zip file on Android devices.]
- Now reboot your phone into TWRP Recovery and Swipe Allow Modifications (Appears for the first time only)
- Once you are in TWRP Recovery, first of all. Take a complete backup of stock or custom ROM using TWRP.
- Now wipe the cache, data, and system before flashing the Android Pie 9.0 on Sony Xperia XZ3.
- To Wipe data: Go to Wipe —> Advanced Wipe and select Dalvik/ART cache, cache, System, Vendor, and Data and then swipe to wipe. [su_note note_color=”#fef0ef” text_color=”#000000″]Warning: Make sure not to select Internal storage[/su_note]
- Now you can install the System image file in TWRP: Install -> Install Image -> select system.img
- That’s it! Reboot and enjoy!
Method 2: Install via ADB Sideload
I hope this guide was helpful to install the Android 9.0 Pie on Sony Xperia XZ3 based on Project Treble GSI images.
If this method doesn’t work, then go to the AOSP 9.0 Phh-Treble thread in XDA and report your issue.