Steam has a handy feature that lets you chat with friends and even know the status of your friends. This makes is easier to know if your friends are currently free or not. Moreover, it lets your friends know if you yourself are up for gaming. Thus, it eliminates the need to ask players/friends if they’re ready to play every time.
Nonetheless, at times you might not want your status to be visible or you simply may want to set or status as offline. This will allow your friends to know that you are currently not available. Moreover, it’s also great when you want to play solo and enjoy gaming by yourself. When you choose to keep your status as invisible, your profile will show offline. However, you will still be able to chat with friends. But choosing the offline option will sign you out from Friends & Chat. In this guide, we’ll show you how to appear invisible or offline in Steam.
Also Read: How to Fix If Steam Store Not Loading issue
Appear Invisible or Offline in Steam
There are two ways that you can use to change your status in steam. In this guide, we’ll cover both the ways to appear invisible or offline in Steam. Both these methods are equally easy to follow, hence, we recommend checking out both methods.
Method 1: Friends & Chat option
The first method to appear invisible or offline in Steam is by changing your status from the Friends & Chat option.
- Launch Steam on your device and click on the Friends & Chat option which is located at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Your friends and chat window will pop-up on the screen. Click on the Arrow icon just beside your username.
- To make yourself invisible, click on the Invisible option.
- To set your status as offline, click on the Offline option.
Method 2: Taskbar preferences
You can also change your status in Steam by changing the taskbar preferences. This will allow you to change your status in Steam from the taskbar itself. Thus, you will not need to launch the Steam application to appear invisible or offline in Steam.
- Launch Steam on your device and click on the Steam which is located in the top bar.
- Next, click on the Settings option and then select Interface.
- Right at the bottom of the list, you will see an option labeled ‘Set Taskbar Preferences’, click on it.
- Now, tick/check the Invisible and Offline options under the section which is labeled as ‘Select Online Options to Display’.
- Click on OK to finish up.
- Once you’ve changed the preferences, you can right-click on the Steam app icon in the taskbar and then click on Invisible or Offline.
You can even the Online and Away status options to the taskbar in case you want to. If you do not see the Invisible and Offline options by right-clicking on the Steam icon in your taskbar, then you might have to relaunch the app. The status options will appear under the Tasks section in the taskbar options.
That being said, this brings us to the end of this guide on how to appear invisible or offline in Steam. You can also check out our other guides on Steam: How to Find Your Friends Steam Code in PC, How to Fix Steam Error Code 118, and Rust Startup Error: How to Fix Steam Load Error Even If it’s Open.