Python software packages are installed and operated using Pip Installs Packages (pip). Generally, it’s used for packages in the Python Package Index. Your PATH system variable needs to be set so that Python commands can be run from a Windows Command Prompt.
In case you installed Python through the installation file, it should be automatically added. It is common for Python package users to receive the error message pip is not working and are unsure of how to fix it. Check out these tips for fixing this error if you’re experiencing it.
How To Fix PIP Install Not Working on Windows 10/11
Although it’s a technical thing, you can fix it even if you have near to zero knowledge about how to fix PIP install not working on Windows 10/11 PC. So, let’s check out how to do this:
Fix 1: Ensure PIP Was Added to Your PATH Variable
- Open the CMD using admin privileges.
- Now, execute the command: echo %PATH%
- Depending on your Python version, you will find a path such as “C:/Python39/Scripts”. If so, then the path is added, and now you will see that the PIP install again starts working.
Fix 2: Add PIP to the PATH Environment Variable
- Open the Run box and search for sysdm.cpl to open the System Properties.
- Now, switch to the Advanced tab and tap on Environment Variables.
- Then, access System variables and select Path.
- Now, hit the Edit button and click on New to add the pip installation path. However, to add the pip install path, you must open the CMD and execute this command: setx PATH “%PATH%; C:\Python39\Scripts
Fix 3: Ensure Pip is Included in the Installation
- Access the Windows Settings page and go to the Apps section.
- Then, right-click on the Python and hit the Change button.
- Now, hit the Modify option, and under Optional Features, check the pip box and hit Next.
- That’s it. Now, to save the changes, hit the Install button.
Once done, make sure to restart your Windows 10/11 PC and check if the PIP install not working error gets resolved or not.
Fix 4: Reinstall It
A Python installation problem or an incorrectly set up PATH variable usually causes this error. To resolve the issue, reinstall Python and all its components. Using the Python executable installer is the easiest method. You can do this by following these steps:
- Open the Windows Settings page and go to the Apps section.
- Then, right-click on the Python and hit the uninstall button.
- Afterward, restart your device and download the Python again.
- Then, install it as you normally do and check whether the PIP install not working error gets resolved or not.
So, that’s all on how to fix PIP install not working on Windows 10/11 issue. We hope that you find this guide helpful. Meanwhile, in case you have any doubts or queries, comment below and let us know.