In this guide, we have shared with you the steps to Root Motorola Moto G40 Fusion (codenamed Hanoi) using Magisk without TWRP in a very simple way for your ease.
In order to root your Moto G40 Fusion, we will use the Magisk to patch the stock boot image and flash that to your device boot partition. Now, if you ask why Magisk? It’s a system-less root process that doesn’t tamper with the system partitions while enabling root access. Magisk can also hide online security measures to work apps properly like any banking app, SafetyNet, etc.
Follow the full-depth guide along with the requirements and download links below.
- 1. How to Extract and Patch Boot.image using Magisk?
- 2. Steps To Install the Patched Boot Image on Moto G40 Fusion
Make sure to follow the instructions one by one to successfully root your device.
Charge your phone
You need to make sure that your Motorola G40 Fusion is charged to about 60% before operating it for unlocking the bootloader to avoid any boot loop issues during the unlocking process.
You need a PC or Laptop
To root, we are using the adb and fastboot tool, So make sure to use a PC or Laptop to execute this rooting process successfully.
Download ADB and Fastboot Binaries:
Make sure to download the latest adb and fastboot binaries file on your computer. We have a full step on how to download and install the adb and fastboot tool on your computer.
Take a complete backup
Before unlocking the bootloader, one of the most important things that you need to do on your phone is to take a complete backup of your phone. For that, you can follow the guide by clicking the link below:
Download USB Drivers
In order to make your Moto G40 Fusion get recognized by your PC, you need to have proper USB Drivers appropriate to your phone installed on your computer. And for that, you can follow the link below to download the correct Motorola USB Drivers on your PC.
To root your device, you must first unlock the bootloader on it. We have made a complete tutorial on how to unlock the bootloader on any Motorola device.
Supported Device and Its Firmware:
In order to root your device, you must download the exact firmware on your device. For example, if you are running the build number RRTS31.Q1-20-14-2, you must download the same build and extract it using the next step.
Extract the Boot Image:
Once you have downloaded, the next step is to extract the firmware zip file on your PC. You can follow our tutorial:
1. How to Extract and Patch Boot.image using Magisk?
- First of all, download and extract the ROM to your PC.
- Attach your device via USB cable and copy only the boot.img file from the extracted folder to your device storage
- Launch Magisk Manager. When a popup appears asking to install Magisk, select INSTALL and choose install again.
- Tap on “Patch Boot Image File”.
- Navigate to internal storage and select your phone’s boot image that you transferred earlier.
- Wait for a couple of seconds. Magisk will start patching the boot image.
- Once the boot image has been patched, copy the “patched_boot.img” from the internal storage and replace it in the same extracted ROM folder on your PC.
Now you can follow the second step to flash the patched boot image file.
2. Steps To Install the Patched Boot Image on Moto G40 Fusion
Follow the proper guide to install Patched Boot Image on Moto G40 Fusion from the below link:
- Now, extract the ADB & Fastboot tool, then move the patched boot image file to the same folder.
- Press and hold down the Shift key + right-mouse-click to open the command window/PowerShell.
- Next, enter the following command in order to flash the “patched_boot.img” to install Magisk and root your Android device:
fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
- For devices with an A/B partition system, you have to use the following commands:
fastboot flash boot_a patched_boot.img fastboot flash boot_b patched_boot.img
Please replace [patched_boot.img] with the name of the boot image file you downloaded followed by the .img extension.
- Wait for the flashing process to complete.
- Finally, type in the command to reboot your device.
- That’s it.
Steps to Verify the Systemless Root
- Launch the Magisk Manager app on your device.
- Now, in order to verify the systemless root access on your phone, you will see the status screen. Here all options should be green ticked if properly rooted. If yes, that means you’ve successfully bypassed the Google SafetyNet measure as well.
That’s it, guys. We hope that you’ve found this guide useful and have successfully rooted your Motorola Moto G40 Fusion device. For any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.