The Lenovo-owned smartphone brand Motorola launched the 8th Gen of Moto G series Moto G8. Along with Moto G8 as usual, the company launched the Moto G8 Play. If you’re using the Motorola Moto G8 Play device and want to enable root access via Magisk then this guide is for you. In this guide, we have shared with you the steps to Root Moto G8 Play using Magisk without TWRP in a very simple way for your ease.
Every Android user wants to get the most out of it when it comes to the customizations and tweaking your device. Rooting is one of them and offers superuser or administrator access to the user in order to modify the system files and apps easily. After enabling root access, users can edit or delete system root directory files, overclock device performance, use rooted apps, install custom modules, etc. There are unlimited possibilities that you can perform on your rooted device easily.
In order to root your Moto G8 Play, we will use the Magisk to patch stock boot image and flash that to your device boot partition. Now, if you ask why Magisk? It’s a system-less root process that doesn’t tamper the system partitions while enabling root access. Magisk can also hide online security measures to work apps properly like any banking app, SafetyNet, etc.
Table of Contents
Moto G8 Play Specifications: Overview
Another Motorola G-series smartphone launched with Android 9 Pie this year called Moto G8 Play that comes with a 6.2-inch IPS LCD HD+ display with 720×1520 pixels resolution. Under the hood, the handset is powered by Mediatek MT6771 (Helio P70M) chipset, paired with Mali-G72 MP3 GPU, 2GB RAM + 32GB ROM. The storage can be expandable up to 512GB via a MicroSD card by using the hybrid slot.
The Moto G8 Play offers a triple rear camera setup of a 13MP wide-angle (f/2.0) + an 8MP ultra-wide-angle camera (f/2.2) + a 2MP depth sensor (f/2.2). It features PDAF, HDR, Panorama, and an LED flash. While the front camera has an 8MP sensor features HDR mode.
The Moto G8 Play includes Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, Bluetooth 4.2, MicroUSB port, FM Radio, etc. While the device features an accelerometer, gyro, proximity, and a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor. It sports a non-removable 4,000 mAh battery with no fast charging support.
Steps To Root Moto G8 Play Using Magisk
Follow the full depth guide along with requirements and download links below.
Keep in mind:
- Rooting may void the manufacturer’s warranty on your device.
- Rooting will block the firmware OTA updates.
Now, let’s head over to some of the necessary steps which you need to abide by:
- Your phone should have battery juice more than 60% at least.
- Keep a backup of your device data at first. Therefore, if anything goes wrong, you can get back the important data.
- The image file in this article is supported by the Moto G8 Play model only. DO NOT try to flash it on other models.
- You will also require a PC/Laptop and a USB cable in order to connect your device with the computer.
- You should download all the necessary files, tools, and drivers from below accordingly.
1. How to Extract and Patch Boot.image using Magisk?
- First of all, download and extract the ROM to your PC.
- Attach your device via USB cable and copy only the boot.img file from the extracted folder to your device storage
- Launch Magisk Manager. When a popup appears asking to install Magisk, select INSTALL and choose install again.
- Tap on “Patch Boot Image File”.
- Navigate to internal storage and select your phone’s boot image that you transferred earlier.
- Wait for a couple of seconds. Magisk will start patching the boot image.
- Once the boot image has been patched, copy the “patched_boot.img” from the internal storage and replace it in the same extracted ROM folder on your PC.
Now you can follow the second step to flash the patched boot image file.
2. Steps To Install the Patched Boot Image on Moto G8 Play
Follow the proper guide to install Patched Boot Image on Moto G8 Play from below link:
- Now, extract the ADB & Fastboot tool, then move the patched boot image file to the same folder.
- Press and hold down the Shift key + right-mouse-click to open the command window/PowerShell.
- Next, enter the following command in order to flash the “patched_boot.img” to install Magisk and root your Android device:
fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
- For devices with A/B partition system, you have to use the following commands:
fastboot flash boot_a patched_boot.img fastboot flash boot_b patched_boot.img
Please replace [patched_boot.img] with the name of the boot image file you downloaded followed by the .img extension.
- Wait for the flashing process to complete.
- Finally, type in the command to reboot your device.
- That’s it.
Steps to Verify the Systemless Root
- Launch the Magisk Manager app on your device.
- Now, in order to verify the systemless root access on your phone, you will see the status screen. Here all options should be green ticked if properly rooted. If yes, that means you’ve successfully bypassed the Google SafetyNet measure as well.
That’s it, guys. We hope that you’ve found this guide useful and have successfully rooted your Moto G8 Play device. For any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.