Microsoft Teams is currently one of the best communication and collaboration applications available. Several organizations are making use of Teams to connect with their employees all over the world. If you are using Microsoft Teams for work or any other purpose, the chances are that you may encounter a few issues. This includes the Microsoft Teams error — ‘Teams Failed to Connect to Settings Endpoint.’
In case this strikes a chord, and you’re familiar with the error, then do not fret. Several users have been receiving this Microsoft Teams’ error message while launching the application’s desktop client. In this tutorial, we’ll be showing you a few steps that you can follow to possibly fix the problem.
In general, the timeout error is caused by either connection issues or by third-party programs that might block your system from connecting to Microsoft Teams server. Hence, we’ll focus on the methods that can solve connection problems. So without any further ado, let’s check out how to fix Microsoft Teams error, ‘Teams Failed to Connect to Settings Endpoint.
Table of Contents
Double-check the service via Microsoft Teams web client
Another possibility for the Microsoft Teams error — ‘Teams Failed to Connect to Settings Endpoint’ can be a result of the service being down. Fortunately, there’s an easy way to figure this out by checking Microsoft Teams’ web client. Visit the Microsoft Teams’ web-based client and login with your account. In case you aren’t able to login or the web-client does not function, it could mean that the Microsoft Teams server(s) are down. In this case, you will have to wait until the service resumes, which shouldn’t be too long.
Disable Windows or Third-Party firewall
The chances are that the error is due to a firewall restriction. You can fix the issue by following these steps.
Disable Windows Firewall
- Click on the Start menu and then click on the Settings icon.
- Select the Update & Security option and click on Windows Security in the left sidebar.
- Click on the setting labeled ‘Firewall and Network Protection.’
- Select your current network (will be labeled as ‘active’).
- Now disable the Firewall option for the network.
Disable third-party Firewall
- Most anti-virus applications have a built-in firewall.
- Launch your anti-virus software and search for the firewall settings.
- Disable the anti-virus application’s Firewall.
After performing these steps, try launching Microsoft Teams. In case the issue was caused due to firewall restrictions, the Microsoft Teams error — ‘Teams Failed to Connect to Settings Endpoint’ will not show up. If it does, then try out the other possible fixes that are listed below.
Toggle Off any active VPN service
If you’re using a VPN (Virtual Private Network), it might be the reason why Microsoft Teams isn’t working. Toggle off the VPN service and try launching Teams again. However, keep in mind that once you turn off the VPN, your online privacy might be hampered. So we suggest to exit any application or close any tab which you wouldn’t want to use without the VPN service before you turn off the VPN.
Update Microsoft Teams desktop client
It’s possible that you may be using an older version of the desktop client. Therefore, performing a quick update might fix the issue.
- Launch the Microsoft Teams client on your PC.
- Located at the top of the screen, you will see your profile icon — click on it.
- Then select the option labeled – ‘Check for updates.’
- Download any pending updates if available.
- Restart the application or reboot your PC.
Other possible causes and fixes
If none of the above fixes work in solving the Microsoft Teams error, then here are a few alternative possibilities.
- It might be possible that you are on a ‘limited access network.’ In such cases, only a few authorized websites and services will be available for you to access. You will have to get in touch with your organization’s IT department or your network provider to fix the issue.
- Recheck your login details to confirm you are using the correct credentials to use Microsoft Teams. This is a highly unlikely scenario when it comes to the error we’re trying to fix here. However, if none of the above methods work, it might be worth giving this a shot.
- Lastly, you can try uninstalling the Microsoft Teams’ desktop client and reinstalling it.
By following the steps given in this guide, we hope you are able to fix the pesky Microsoft Teams error. As we mentioned earlier, the ‘Teams Failed to Connect to Settings Endpoint’ is most likely a result of a firewall that is blocking the connection. Thus, the solutions provided here are most likely to fix the problem for you. If not, feel free to let us know in the comments below. And you can also check out: How to Fix Microsoft Teams Error code caa7000a, What is Error Code caa20004 in Microsoft Teams? How to Fix?, and How To fix Microsoft Teams Not showing in Outlook?