When it comes to turn-based tactical strategy video games, the newly released Total War: Warhammer III title is standing out really well. It has been developed by Creative Assembly and published by Sega in February 2022. It’s a part of the Total War series and the third in Games Workshop’s Warhammer Fantasy fictional universe. Meanwhile, some players are experiencing Total War WARHAMMER 3 FPS Drops on the PC and want to increase performance.
Now, if you’re also one of the victims to encounter such an issue then make sure to follow this troubleshooting guide completely to quickly resolve such an issue. It seems that there are some possible reasons available which can cause such an issue whatsoever. There may be graphical glitches, system cache issues, issues with the game files, PC configuration compatibility issues, in-game graphics settings, etc behind the frame drop issue in most cases.
- Fix: Total War WARHAMMER 3 FPS Drops on PC | Increase Performance
- 1. Check System Requirements
- 2. Update Graphics Drivers
- 3. Switch Between Display Modes
- 4. Run the game as an administrator
- 5. Close Background Running Tasks
- 6. Stop Background Downloads
- 7. Set High Performance in Power Options
- 8. Change Game Script
- 9. Enable Game Mode
- 10. Turn Off Xbox Game Bar and Background Recording
- 11. Enable Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling
- 12. Set Proper Display Resolution
- 13. Adjust Graphics Settings
Fix: Total War WARHAMMER 3 FPS Drops on PC | Increase Performance
It’s a pretty much graphics-intensive video game that requires the latest software or programs and powerful compatible hardware specifications on the Windows PC to run smoothly. However, we’ve shared a couple of possible workarounds that should gonna help you out. Now, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into it.
1. Check System Requirements
Mostly the compatibility issues with your PC specification may cause such issues whatsoever. So, we’ll suggest you check out the game’s system requirements and your PC specifications properly before jumping to any conclusion. Here we’ve mentioned both the minimum and recommended system requirements for this title.
- OS: Windows 7 64-bit
- Processor: Intel i3/Ryzen 3 series
- Memory: 6 GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia GTX 900/AMD RX 400 series | Intel Iris Xe Graphics
- DirectX: Version 11
- Storage: 120 GB available space
- Additional Notes: 8GB Memory if using integrated GPU.
- OS: Windows 10 64-bit
- Processor: Intel i5/Ryzen 5 series
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti/AMD RX 5600-XT
- DirectX: Version 11
- Storage: 120 GB available space
- Additional Notes: TBA
2. Update Graphics Drivers
It’s recommended to check out graphics driver updates on your PC so games and other graphics-intensive programs can run properly. To do so:
- Right-click on the Start Menu to open up the Quick Access Menu.
- Click on Device Manager from the list.
- Now, double-click on the Display adapters category to expand the list.
- Then right-click on the dedicated graphics card name.
- Select Update driver > Choose Search automatically for drivers.
- If there is an update available, it’ll automatically download and install the latest version.
- Once done, make sure to reboot your computer to change effects.
Alternatively, you can manually download the latest version of the graphics driver and install it directly from the official website respective to your graphics card manufacturer. Nvidia graphics card users can update the GeForce Experience app via the Nvidia official site. Meanwhile, AMD graphics card users can visit the AMD website for the same.
3. Switch Between Display Modes
Make sure to switch between fullscreen borderless to windowed bordered display modes or vice versa from the in-game settings menu. It’ll help the game files to run smoothly depending on your screen resolution and PC specifications. You can try it out once. Some affected players got benefitted from this.
4. Run the game as an administrator
You should also run the Total War WARHAMMER 3 game executable file as an administrator to avoid user account control-related privilege issues. To do this:
- Right-click on the Total War WARHAMMER III exe shortcut file on your PC.
- Now, select Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Make sure to click on the Run this program as an administrator checkbox to checkmark it.
- Click on Apply and select OK to save changes.
5. Close Background Running Tasks
Sometimes unnecessary background running tasks or programs can also consume a higher amount of CPU or Memory resources on the system which may cause crashes, lags, stutters, FPS drops, etc issues whatsoever. To do that:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open up the Task Manager.
- Now, click on the Processes tab > Click to select tasks that are unnecessarily running in the background and consuming enough system resources.
- Click on End Task to close it > Do the same steps for all unnecessary tasks one by one.
- Once done, restart your system to apply changes.
6. Stop Background Downloads
The chances are high that you’re trying to download or install other game updates at the same time whatever client you’re using. It’s better to pause or stop other background downloads while launching and playing the Total War WARHAMMER 3 game on the client. Once you finished your gameplay, you can continue downloading games or installing patch updates.
7. Set High Performance in Power Options
If in case, your Windows system is running on the Balanced mode in Power Options that means the system and hardware aren’t running to their full potential. For the intense gameplay, you can simply set the High-Performance mode for better results. However, the high-performance mode will gonna consume higher battery usage if you’re using a laptop. To do this:
- Click on the Start Menu > Type Control Panel and click on it from the search result.
- Now, go to Hardware and Sound > Select Power Options.
- Click on High Performance to select it.
- Make sure to close the window and fully shut down your computer. To do this, click on the Start Menu > Go to Power > Shut Down.
- Once your computer is fully turned off, you can power it on again.
8. Change Game Script
If in case, you’re running a combination of 12th-gen Intel CPU and Windows 10 then the Total War: Warhammer III game can stutter and drop FPS a lot.
- Open File Explorer on the PC > Find the script files in the game.
- The location should be: C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Warhammer3\scripts
- For Windows Store or Gamepass users: %appdata%\The Creative Assembly\Warhammer3\GDK\scripts
- For Epic Games Store users: %appdata%\The Creative Assembly\Warhammer3\EOS\scripts
- Now, press Enter to open the file > Right-click on the file > Select the option for Text Document under New.
- Make sure to Save the title as the user.script.txt file > Open this text file and add the following command:
HYBRID_CPUS_TREAT_ALL_CORES_UNIFORMLY true; number_of_threads 5;
- Click on Save and run the game to fix the issue.
9. Enable Game Mode
Make sure to turn on Xbox Game Mode on your Windows PC whether you’re using Windows 10 or Windows 11. It’ll eventually boost the gaming experience during the gameplay. Just press the Windows + I keys on the keyboard to open Windows Settings > Click on Gaming > Select Game Mode > Turn it on. By doing so, you’ll be able to optimize your PC for play by turning things off in the background.
10. Turn Off Xbox Game Bar and Background Recording
If you’re still experiencing the frame drop issue with your Total War: Warhammer III game then make sure to turn off Xbox Game Bar and background recording option via Game Bar & Captures section. Head over to Settings by pressing Windows + I keys > Go to Gaming.
11. Enable Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling
It’s also worth recommending to enable the Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling option on your Windows computer (if available). To do so:
- Press the Windows + I keys on the keyboard to open Windows Settings.
- Now, go to System > Click on Display > Head over to Multiple Displays.
- Select Graphics settings > Turn on the Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling option.
- Finally, reboot the system to apply changes.
12. Set Proper Display Resolution
You should set a proper screen resolution from the in-game graphics settings menu. It’s always a better idea to set the graphics resolution according to the compatibility of your display or monitor resolution. So, simply head over to the in-game graphics settings menu > set the valid display resolution > set recommended brightness level from the main category.
Whereas from the advanced category, you can try turning off anti-aliasing, texture filtering to anisotropic 16x and texture quality to high or ultra [anisotropic 8x & medium], VFX details to medium, Tree details to Medium, Unit details to Medium, Depth of field to off, Grass details to Medium, Terrain details to Medium, Fog to Low, etc. The rest of the options should be left untouched unless you require any customizations.
13. Adjust Graphics Settings
If you’re using the Nvidia graphics card then make sure to go to the Nvidia Control Panel software > Click on Manage 3D Settings > Select Max Frame Rate and cap it below what you’re currently getting in-game. It’s required because the game doesn’t have a dedicated frame rate capping option in the settings menu. In that scenario, your GPU usage should get below 90% most probably.
However, if you’re still getting the 100% load on your GPU then make sure to set recommended 60FPS count and the in-game lagging or frame drops might gonna decrease a lot.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.