Samsung in the past few years, not only has brought featureful flagships but also has added various mid-range and upper mid-range phones to its portfolio. But, Samsung has brought some brilliant upper mid-range phones like the Galaxy A90 5G which sports some beefy specs and has top of the line features as well. The Samsung Galaxy A90 5G was launched back in September 2019. Just to give you an overview, it is powered by the Snapdragon 855 processor, 6/8 GB of RAM along with a 4500 mAh battery.
And if you also happen to be one of the owners of the Galaxy A90 5G smartphone and are looking for ways to unlock the bootloader and root your phone then, you are at the right place as in this post, we will guide you on how to unlock the bootloader and root your Samsung Galaxy A90 5G. In order to avoid any issues, we would advise you to follow the steps mentioned in this post. So, that being said, let us get straight into the article itself:
- Steps to Unlock Bootloader and Root Galaxy A90 5G
- Steps To Root Galaxy A90 5G using Magisk
- Steps to Create a Patched boot image using Magisk Manager
- Steps To Install the Patched Boot Image tar file on Galaxy A90 5G
- Instructions to Root Galaxy A90 5G Using Magisk
Now before we go ahead and root the Galaxy A90 5G, let us make a list of pre-requisites that are required to unlock it:
Charge your phone
You need to make sure that your Galaxy A90 5G is charged to about 60% before operating it for unlocking the bootloader to avoid any boot loop issues during the unlocking process.
You need a PC or Laptop
We would be running certain ADB and Fastboot commands that can be executed via PC or a laptop. So, we would need a computer in order to unlock the bootloader.
Take a complete backup
Before rooting, one of the most important things that you need to do on your phone is to take a complete backup of your phone. For that, you can follow the guide by clicking the link below:
Download USB Drivers
In order to make your Galaxy A90 5G get recognized by your PC, you need to have proper USB Drivers appropriate to your phone installed on your computer. And for that, you can follow the link below to download the correct Samsung USB Drivers on your PC.
Install ODIN in PC
Odin is used to flashing stock firmware file (in .tar or .tar.md5 formats) on Android-based Samsung devices and supports any Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP PC. You can install the latest Odin tool on your PC from the link given below:
You can use either of the links below to download the firmware for your Galaxy A90 5G.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader and Root Galaxy A90 5G
Once you are ready with everything that is mentioned in the list of pre-requisites above, you can go ahead and root your Samsung Galaxy A90 5G by following the steps below:
Step 1: Activate the Developer option
- Enable the Developer Option on your device. To do this go to Settings>> About>> Software Information>> More.
- Tap on the Build Number 7-8 times until you see a message “Developer option enabled.”
Step 2: Enable USB Debugging, OEM Unlocking and Developer option
- Now head back to Settings>> Developer Option>>Enable USB Debugging as well as OEM unlocking.
Step 3: Unlock Bootloader on your device
- In order to unlock the bootloader on your Galaxy A90 5G, turn off your phone.
- Press the button combo: Hold Volume up + Volume down and plug your phone to your PC.
- Now long-press the Volume Up button to unlock the bootloader.
Steps To Root Galaxy A90 5G using Magisk
Before starting the rooting process, make sure to unlock the device bootloader at first. Then you can continue with the next steps.
- Rooting will block the official OTA updates
- After Rooting, it may void the warranty of your phone
- Supported model:
- Galaxy A90 5G: SM-A908B/N
- Download Galaxy A90 5G Flash File
After you have downloaded the exact firmware file based on your device model number, you can extract the boot.img file to patch it via the Magisk Manager app.Guide to Extract Boot Image File and rename to .tar file
Steps to Create a Patched boot image using Magisk Manager
- First, download and install the latest Magisk Manager app.
- Next, connect your device to the PC via the USB cable.
- Copy only the boot.img file from the extracted folder to your device storage.
- Now, open the Magisk Manager app and select INSTALL and choose to install it again.
- Then tap on “Patch Boot Image File”.
- Go to internal storage and select your device boot image that you moved earlier.
- Now, wait for Magisk to start patching the boot image.
- Once the boot image has been patched, copy the “patched_boot.img” from the internal storage and replace it in the same extracted ROM folder on your PC.
Now, follow the second step to flash the patched boot image file.
- Odin flash tool accepts files in .tar format. So, you have to use 7zip and archive it to .tar format. You can even rename the file as boot.img.tar as shown in the below screenshot.
Steps To Install the Patched Boot Image tar file on Galaxy A90 5G
Now, follow the final or second method to install the patched boot image file on your Galaxy handset. But first, follow the requirements.
- ROM Supported for – Samsung Galaxy A90 5G model only. Don’t try it on other devices.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least before doing anything.
- Take a full backup without the root of the device’s internal storage.
- A Windows PC or Laptop and a USB cable are required.
- Download the latest ODIN tool and install it on your computer.
- Download and Install the latest Samsung USB Drivers on your computer.
- Copy the patched boot image file into the ADB & Fastboot directory.
Instructions to Root Galaxy A90 5G Using Magisk
After following the pre-requirements and unlocking the bootloader, in order to Root Galaxy A90 5G Using Magisk, let’s take a look at the rooting steps.
- First, reboot your device into download mode.
- Now, connect your phone to the PC via the USB cable.
- Once you are connected, now open the downloaded ODIN.exe file.
- When you connect the USB cable you will see a blue sign in Odin.
- Now, load the patched boot.tar file in the AP section.
- Go to Option and see whether the Auto Reboot and F-Reset Time selected or not). If not then select these two. Don’t select re-partition.
- Now, tap on the Start button to root your device.
- Your device will reboot when the process will complete.
- Then wait for a few minutes. The first boot will take some time.
- You’re done. Enjoy!
So, there you have it from my side in this post. I hope you guys were able to successfully unlock the bootloader and root the Galaxy A90 5G using the guide above. Let us know in the comments below if you come across any issues while following the above-mentioned steps. Until the next post…Cheers!