Thanks to the Finnish company, HMD Global, Nokia brand has done some fantastic job in the recent past, be it with its product line or be it with the timely rollout of the security or firmware updates. Nokia is pretty much among the top OEMs when it comes to rolling out updates on time and it does not make its users wait for any updates. Users have also become very aware of the importance of security or firmware update and it is the duty of smartphone OEMs, to push the update as soon as they are available with them. And in line with this, the company has rolled out Android 10 updates to yet another one of its devices, i.e. Nokia 2.3.
Moreover, as per the revised roadmap for the Android 10 updates released by Nokia keeping in mind the COVID-19 pandemic scenario across the globe, the Android 10 update for the Nokia 2.3 was expected around Q1 2020 and Q2 2020. And it seems like the company has stuck with the mentioned timeline. Notably, the updates will be released in waves, and the update is now rolling out to the first wave regions which include Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Lithuania, Macau, Malaysia, Mongolia, Morocco, Nepal, Norway, Oman, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Tunisia, UAE, Ukraine, Yemen.
After this, the second wave of the update will be pushed on April 24th and the company expects to complete the rollout by April 26, 2020. Now talking about the update, it is rolling out with version number V2.230 and weighs in a hefty 1.11 GB in size. Below is the complete changelog of the update:
- Dark Mode – Take it easy on your eyes
- Smart Reply – Save more time with recommended actions
- Gesture Navigation – Get around with a swipe and pull.
- Additional controls for privacy and location
- Google Security patch (2020-03)
As you might have noticed in the changelog above, the update also bumps the security patch level to March 2020. Those who have not yet received the notification of the update, can head over to Settings>>Software Updates and check for the updates manually.
- Check for OTA Update Manually
- Download and Install Nokia 2.3 Android 10 Update (OTA V2.330)
- Instructions to Install:
- How to Install AOSP Android 10 for Nokia 2.3 [GSI Treble]
- Nokia 2.3 Specifications:
- What’s on Android 10?
- Android 10 Features
- Steps to Install AOSP Android 10 on Nokia 2.3
Check for OTA Update Manually
Note that the Android 10 update for the Nokia 2.3 will take some time to arrive on all the units as it is rolled out in a staged manner via OTA. However, if you don’t want to wait further or haven’t received the OTA update notification yet, then you can head over to the Settings > System > Advanced > System update > Check for update.
If the latest update is available, simply download and install it on your device manually. Make sure that the device is connected to a Wi-Fi network and charge it more than 50% before downloading the OTA. Alternatively, you can manually download the firmware from the link and install it by following the guide below.
Download and Install Nokia 2.3 Android 10 Update (OTA V2.330)
If you do not want to wait for the OTA to arrive on your Nokia 2.3, you can manually upgrade your phone by following the below mentioned steps.
- The firmware OTA file is exclusive for Nokia 2.3 model.
- The device should be running on the latest Android version in order to apply the Android 10 update.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 50% at least.
- Take a complete backup of your device data in order to get back all the important files.
Download Firmware (V2.330)
- Nokia 2.3 (V2.330) – Android 10
Instructions to Install:
The manual installation of firmware requires you to enter the device to the stock recovery. The process is quite easy, just follow the steps mentioned below:
- Download the OTA zip file from the above download section.
- Now move it to your device storage.
- Switch off your Nokia 2.3.
- Press the Volume Up + Power button to enter the stock recovery mode.
- Now, you will see various options among which you will see an option called Apply Update from ADB.
- Scroll to the option using the Volume Up/Down button on your device and select it using the Power button.
- Now browse for the OTA zip you moved into your storage.
- Confirm using the power button to flash the OTA file.
- The installation will take some time. After it’s over you will be back to the Stock Recovery home screen.
- Scroll to the option Reboot System Now using the power button to select it.
- That’s it!
So, there you have it. If you follow the above steps carefully, you will be able to upgrade your Nokia 2.3 to the latest Android 10 OS with the latest March 2020 security patchset.
How to Install AOSP Android 10 for Nokia 2.3 [GSI Treble]
While most of the Nokia 2.3 device users are waiting for official Android 10 Q updates on their units as the device runs on Android 9.0 Pie. But there is no official confirmation available yet whether the device is getting the latest Android version or not. But you can now enjoy the AOSP Android 10 Q for Nokia 2.3 based on GSI build.
Thanks to the XDA Recognized Developer phhusson for making this AOSP Android 10 GSI build for all the Project Treble supported devices. That means all the Android 8.0 Oreo or above running devices are coming under the Project Treble list. GSI stands for Generic System Image which is a system image file with unmodified AOSP code that runs on Project Treble devices as a ‘Pure Android’. So, if you’re a Custom ROM lover or waiting for Android 10 update, you can try out this Android 10 Custom ROM.
Check out the full firmware installation guide along with download links and requirements. But before going to the firmware installation guide, let’s take a quick look at the device overview below.
Nokia 2.3 Specifications:
Nokia 2.3 is an impressive smartphone primarily designed for budget segment users. It packs a 6.2-inch display with a resolution of 720 by 1520 pixels. Nokia 2.3 runs on the latest Android v9.0 pie out of the box. It runs on MediaTek Helio A22 chipset and comes with 2 GB of RAM. The weight of the device is a little heavy i.e. 183 grams since it rocks a massive 4000 mAh battery.
As far as cameras are concerned, Nokia 2.3 has a dual-camera setup at the back. With 13 + 2 MP camera sensors for portrait photos. For selfie lovers, it has got a 5MP camera. Nokia 2.3 comes with all sorts of connectivity options including Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, 4G and VoLTE facilities. However, the device is not officially rated to be splashproof or waterproof by any means.
What’s on Android 10?
Google has started rolling out the latest Android 10 version update to its Pixel series devices which is the 10th iteration of Android OS. It brings plenty of new features to the device system like system UI, new gesture navigation, improved privacy and location control. The update also offers enhanced app permissions, foldable display support, security features, system-wide dark mode, etc.
The Android 10 also offers built-in call screening, multi-camera API, smart replies in the notification panel, 5G support, improved call quality, bubble feature, live caption, and more. While the latest version also improves battery life, Focus mode which is similar to the Do Not Disturb mode, etc. Apart from that Android 10 also features 65 new emojis. It also comes with direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices.
Android 10 Features
Here we will provide short details of the most highlighted features of Android 10 (aka Android Q). Check out the Top 10 Android 10 features.
- Live Caption: This feature will automatically start caption when you will play media on your phone.
- Smart Reply: It will offer suggested responses or actions to your incoming messages like Facebook Messenger.
- Sound Amplifier: It will boost audio, filter background noise, and fine-tune the sound for the improved listening experience.
- New Gesture Navigation: This system is now smoother and faster than before.
- Dark Theme: It offers better battery backup and reduces eye strain during lowlight conditions.
- Privacy Controls: It features offers your device system to choose when and how your data will be shared.
- Location Controls: It feature also offers advanced security layers and control any apps or the map to access your location.
- Faster Security Updates: This option will be useful for both the smartphone OEMs and users via Google Play service. This will offer faster updates.
- Focus Mode: It’s an improved version of the Digital Wellbeing feature with an enhanced user interface and few changes.
- Family Link: It’s quite similar to the Focus mode which is basically for kids. The parents can now control devices or apps usage time limits and content limits as well.
Steps to Install AOSP Android 10 on Nokia 2.3
PHH’s AOSP Android 10 GSIs are still marked as a pre-release. Even on a device that runs Pie GSIs nicely, it’s still possible to get broken media, camera, RIL or even flat-out no-boot. You are strongly advised to try PHH’s original and then identify/report issues there, before moving onto other GSIs that is based on this work. Please report bugs there only if it’s specific to this GSI.
We’re at GetDroidTips won’t be responsible for any kind of damage or error that occurs to your handset while or after following this guide. This is a Custom ROM and may contain some of the bugs or stability issues. We can’t recommend you to use this firmware as your daily driver. Proceed at your own risk.
First, you have to unlock the device bootloader in order to flash any Custom ROM. But going to the process. let’s take a look at requirements and download links first.
- You need to unlock the bootloader at first.
- ARM, ARM64, or x86: Check your Android Phone’s Processor
- Treble Support: Check If Your Smartphone Supports Project Treble
- Download the required Android 10 GSI ROM file and Android 10 GApps file from below.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
A only arm32 – arm avN
A only arm64 – arm64 avN
A/B arm64 – arm64 bvN
A/B arm32 – arm bvN
Instructions to Install: AOSP Android 10 for Nokia 2.3Guide to Install Generic System Image (GSI) on Your Android Device
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the AOSP Android 10 Custom ROM on your Nokia 2.3 handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.
If you find any problem with the latest build of Android 10 GSI, then you can report it on the official GitHub page: Click Here