Apex Legends is the next evolution of online battle royale game that’s free of cost and available for PS4/PS5, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows platforms. Respawn Entertainment has developed this game and Electronic Arts have published it. But sometimes PC players may experience several issues or errors something like Apex Legends Engine Error while Reading PAK file. Well, this is one of the common issues to the Apex Legends PC players and can be fixed manually by following a couple of possible workarounds below.
If you’re also encountering the same problem with your Apex Legends game PAC file on your Steam client or Origin client then make sure to check this troubleshooting guide completely. All the methods are easy enough to perform on your PC/Laptop so you don’t need to worry about it. However, Respawn Entertainment is aware of this issue, it seems that something is happening with the installed game files in most cases.
How To Delete Apex Legends Account on PS4, PS5, Switch, or PC
What is Apex Legends Connection Error 237? How to Resolve?
All Apex Legends Rules 24, 32, 33, 34, and more: Explained
Apex Legends Not Using GPU, How to Fix?
Does Apex Legends need a Nintendo Online Account
Fix: Apex Legends Keyboard/Mouse Not Working or Lagging
Apex Legends Best Graphics Settings for 3070, 3080, 3090, 1060, 1070, 2060, 2080, and More
Fix: Apex Legends Keeps Crashing on Startup on PC
Fix: Apex Legends PC Stuck on loading screen
Fix: Apex Legends Stuttering, Lags, or Freezing constantly
Fix: Apex Legends Voice Chat Not Working on PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S
Apex Legends: Fix Engine Error Reading PAK file
According to multiple reports on the Electronic Arts Forum, plenty of affected Apex Legends PC players are mentioning that they’re getting the particular error message after starting the game. It basically says something like “Error reading pak file “C:\User\…\dl_mini_19_10_30.rpak” — Error: Short read.” So, if the same error is appearing to you, try following the methods below.
1. Delete Corrupted File and Repair
As the Apex Legends game can be played either via Steam or Origin client, we’ve mentioned both ways below. To do so:
For Steam Users:
- Make sure that the Apex Legends game is closed.
- Launch the Steam client > Go to Library.
- Right-click on the Apex Legends game from the left pane.
- Hover over Manage > Click on Browse local files.
- Now, the installed game location will open in the File Explorer window.
- Delete the r5apex (exe) application file from the location.
- Close the File Explorer and go back to the Steam launcher.
- Here you’ll have to right-click on the Apex Legends game again.
- Select Properties > Click on the Local Files option.
- Next, choose Verify integrity of game files…
- Wait for the process to complete and it’ll automatically bring back the deleted application file.
- Once done, restart your Steam client and check if the Apex Legends Engine Error Reading PAK file issue has been fixed or not.
For Origin Users:
- Make sure that the Apex Legends game is closed.
- Open the Origin client on your PC.
- Click on Origin from the top left corner > Click on Application Settings.
- Now, go to Installs & Saves > Check the Game library path.
- Open the File Explorer and go inside the Apex Legends game folder accordingly.
- Next, delete the r5apex (exe) application file from the location.
- Go back to the Origin client and click on My Game Library.
- Select Apex Legends > Click on the gear icon to open the Settings menu.
- Now, click on Repair and wait for the process to complete.
- Once done, close the Origin client and relaunch it.
2. Update Windows OS Build
An outdated Windows OS build can occur multiple issues with the program launching or running due to bugs or compatibility reasons. It’s always a good idea to update Windows OS build on a weekly or monthly basis. To do this:
- Press the Windows + I keys to open up the Windows Settings menu.
- Click on Update & Security > Click on Check for updates from the Windows Update section.
- If there is an update available, click on Download and install.
- Wait for the update to install completely.
- Finally, restart your computer to apply changes.
However, if there is no update available or Windows update doesn’t resolve your issue, try another method below.
3. Update Graphics Driver
Similarly, updating the graphics card driver on your computer also comes in handy whenever your games don’t launch or crashes or facing lags or black screens, etc. To do this:
- Press the Windows + X keys to open up the Quick Access Menu.
- Click on Device Manager.
- Double-click on the Display adapters to expand the drop-down list.
- Now, right-click on the dedicated graphics driver.
- Select Update driver > Choose Search automatically for drivers.
- If there is an update available, it’ll automatically download and install the latest version.
- Once done, restart your PC/Laptop to apply changes.
4. Close Background Running Tasks
If you feel that some of the unnecessary background running tasks are troubling you a lot and eating up too many system resources that cause lags, crashes, or errors in the game, make sure to close those tasks right away. To do that:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open up Task Manager.
- Now, click on the Processes section > Check which tasks are consuming higher CPU or Memory usage.
- Click on the task and select End Task one by one.
- Once done, make sure to restart your computer to refresh the system.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was useful to you. For additional queries, you can comment below.