In this tutorial, we will show you the steps to change Siri’s voice, gender, and language across multiple Apple devices. Apple’s personal voice assistant Siri first made its way over to iPhone 4S and seen then there’s no looking back. There are many other such personal assistants including Google’s Assistant, Microsoft’s Cortana and Amazon’s Alexa. But Siri has managed to keep a stronghold. Its capabilities are near about endless. From helping you to set up an alarm to singing you lullabies, this virtual assistant could do it all.
However, what many people aren’t aware of is the fact that you could quite easily change her voice, accent, gender, and language as well. For example, you could choose between male and female voice, British and American accents, and on macOS, there are also female Irish and South American accents. So without further ado lets check out the steps to change Siri’s settings. Furthermore, this guide will cover iOS, iPadOS, macOS, Apple Watch and Apple TV.
Table of Contents
Change Siri’s Voice, Gender, Language on iOS 10
- To change Siri’s settings on iOS 10, head over to Settings and tap on Siri.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap on the Language option. Choose the desired language from the list.
- Next up, go back and tap on Siri Voice. By default, it might be set to American (Female). You could choose from British, American or Australian.
- Below that, there’s the Gender option. Select Male or Female. Once you have done the selection, wait for few seconds till the voice gets downloaded. it goes without saying that you should be connected to the internet at this stage.
Change Siri’s Settings on iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch
- Head over to Settings on your respective device and tap on Siri & Search.
- Tap on Language to change the its default language. You will have to be online to let your device download the new language.
- Next up, tap on Siri Voice to change the gender or the dialect that it speaks.
- If you wish to hear spoken responses from Siri on your device, tap on Voice Feedback and choose any of below three options:
- Always On: As the name suggests, Siri will speak responses, even when your device is set to Silent
- Control with Ring Switch: Siri will silence all spoken responses when your device is Silent.
- Hands-Free Only: Siri will beep and reply to your query when you use the “Hey Siri” keyword or when you are connected to a Bluetooth device or headphone.
On your Mac
If you wish to change Siri’s voice, gender and language on your Mac with macOS Sierra or later version installed, follow the below steps:
- Head over to the Apple menu and click on System preferences.
- Click on Siri and then under the Language section, select the language that Siri should speak
- Next up, the Siri Voice option allows you to change its gender or dialect that she speaks.
- Finally, the Voice Feedback option allows you to hear spoken responses from Siri. If you turn it off, you won’t hear Siri’s responses but will see the same in the Siri window.
On Apple Watch
The Siri language that you have set up on your iPhone will be applied to your Apple Watch as well. And if you are having an Apple Watch Series 3 or later, you can have Siri speak a response. To do so, head over to Settings > General > Siri. Then from the Voice Feedback, choose from Always On, Control with Silent One or Headphones only.
In case of Always On, Siri will always invoke a response, even when your watch is set to Silent. The Control with Silent Mode makes Siri silence all spoken responses when your device is set to Silent mode. The third option (headphones only) will let Siri speak only when your Apple Watch is connected to a Bluetooth headphone.
On Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD
To change the Siri’s voice or language on Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD, go to Settings > General > Siri and select Language. Then choose your desired language from the list.
So with this, we conclude the guide on how to change Siri’s voice, gender and language across multiple Apple devices. We have discussed the steps related to iOS, iPad, macOS, Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD. On that note, also check out our other iPhone tips and tricks. Likewise, we also have some tips lined for Android and PC, don’t forget to check them out as well.