Discord is a VoIP, instant messaging, and digital distribution platform that’s not only designed for creating communities for gaming, but also for normal users. Discord users can easily communicate with voice calls, video calls, text messaging, sharing media files & documents in private chats or in communities (servers). But some users are reporting that the Discord Stream Has No Sound Issue while sharing the screen.
This particular issue is basically preventing users from using the Discord Stream which is quite unfortunate. So, if you’re also unable to hear audio while sharing the screen on Discord or joining the stream then you’re not alone here. We’ve shared a couple of possible workarounds that should come in handy for you. So, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into the guide below.
- How to Fix Discord Stream Has No Sound Issue
- 1. Check Discord Server Status
- 2. Check Audio Settings on Computer
- 3. Reset Discord Audio Settings
- 4. Use Discord in Windowed Mode
- 5. Change Discord Audio Settings
- 6. Use Discord Legacy Audio Subsystem
- 7. Update Audio Drivers
- 8. Clear Discord Roaming Data
- 9. Update Discord Application
- 10. Disable Windows Defender and Firewall
- 11. Reinstall Discord Application
How to Fix Discord Stream Has No Sound Issue
Before getting into the solutions, make sure to restart your computer to check if there is an issue behind the system glitch or not.
1. Check Discord Server Status
When something went wrong with the Discord servers in the background and the server downtime or outage issue is there, several issues seem to appear to the users on the platform or application whatsoever.
If nothing is wrong with the Discord servers then you can follow the next method.
2. Check Audio Settings on Computer
The second thing you can do is simply check out your audio settings on the computer. If in case, the system audio level is low or the volume is muted on your computer then you won’t be able to hear Discord audio. To check it:
- Right-click on the audio icon from the taskbar.
- Click on Open Sound settings > Select Sound from the left pane.
- Now, select your correct output device (speaker or headphone) from Choose your output device drop-down menu.
- Then make sure to drag the Master volume slider to the right side (increase the volume) so that you can easily hear the sound.
- You can also go to the Open Volume Mixer option (right-click on the audio icon) to check individual volume levels for apps.
- Ensure that the Discord volume level is turned on and set to high.
Additionally, it’s needless to say that the audio icon isn’t muted at all on your computer.
- Click on the Apple Menu icon > Open System Preferences on Mac.
- Select Sound > Choose to Output.
- Make sure to select the correct output device from the list.
- Then drag or move the Output volume slider to the right side to set the volume (increase it).
- If in case, the Mute checkbox is enabled, then turn it off (uncheck it).
3. Reset Discord Audio Settings
If still, you’re facing the audio listening issue with the Discord screen share then make sure to follow this particular method.
It’s worth recommending to try resetting Discord’s audio settings to improve the streaming quality. If there is an issue with the Discord audio settings, then it should resolve the issue by going to the default configuration. To do so:
- Open the Discord desktop app or website on the PC.
- Sign in to the account > Head over to Settings.
- Select the Voice & Video tab > Select the Reset Voice Settings menu.
- If prompted, select Okay to reset.
4. Use Discord in Windowed Mode
If in case, you’re trying to stream a full-screen game on Discord, then you should run it in the Windowed mod. So, just convert the Discord window to a smaller size to run apps properly.
5. Change Discord Audio Settings
You should also change some of the audio settings on Discord to the default configuration manually. To do this:
- Open the Discord app on your computer.
- Click on Settings > Select Voice & Video.
- Make sure to disable the OpenH264 Video Codec toggle.
- Also, disable the H.264 Hardware Acceleration toggle.
- You can also try enabling the Advanced Voice Activity and Automatic Gain Control option to check if that helps you or not.
Meanwhile, you may try disabling the Enable Quality of Service High Packet Priority option to try it out.
6. Use Discord Legacy Audio Subsystem
The Discord audio-related issues may start occurring when your PC hardware becomes incompatible with Discord’s latest audio subsystem. So, it’s better to switch to the legacy audio subsystem. To do so:
- Run Discord > Click the Settings icon.
- Click on Audio & Video > Select Legacy under the AUDIO SUBSYSTEM.
- Click on Okay to save changes.
7. Update Audio Drivers
- Press Windows + X keys to open the Quick Link Menu.
- Now, click on Device Manager from the list > Double-click on Sound, video, and game controllers.
- Right-click on the dedicated audio card that’s active.
- Next, select Update driver > Choose to Search automatically for drivers.
- If there is an update available, the system will automatically download & install it.
- Once done, restart the computer to apply changes.
Otherwise, you should select the Search for updated drivers on Windows Update option then Download and install available cumulative updates for Windows.
8. Clear Discord Roaming Data
- Make sure to exit the Discord application completely.
- Then press the Windows key to open the Start menu.
- Now, type %appdata% and hit Enter to open the AppData Roaming folder.
- Right-click on the Discord folder > Select Delete.
- Once deleted, make sure to restart your computer to apply changes.
- Finally, relaunch the Discord app to check if the Stream Has No Sound issue.
9. Update Discord Application
Well, updating the Discord application on your computer may help you to easily fix the issue. Sometimes an outdated patch version can cause multiple issues or compatibility issues. To do this:
- Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Type %localappdata% and click OK.
- Now, double-click on Discord.
- Double-click on the Update.exe file > Wait for the update process to be completed.
- Finally, relaunch Discord to check the issue.
10. Disable Windows Defender and Firewall
Make sure to simply disable the Windows Defender and Firewall program on your Windows computer temporarily to resolve the audio issues.
- Go to Windows Settings (Win+I) > Click on Privacy and Security.
- Now, go to Windows Security > Choose to Virus & threat protection.
- Click on Manage settings >Then turn off the Real-time Protection option.
- Once done, make sure to reboot your PC to apply changes.
However, if this doesn’t fix the issue for you then make sure to perform the following steps too.
- Click on the Start menu > Type Control Panel and click on it from the search result.
- Now, type firewall in the search box > Click on Windows Firewall from the search result.
- Click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
- Select Turn off Windows Firewall for the Private, Domain, and Public Network Settings.
- Finally, reboot the PC to apply changes.
11. Reinstall Discord Application
If nothing seems working for you, try uninstalling and reinstalling the Discord application on your computer as a final resort. To do so:
- Press Windows + I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Then click on Apps > Scroll through the list of installed apps.
- Locate and click on Discord to select it.
- Now, click on Uninstall > Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation process.
- Once done, make sure to restart your computer to apply changes.
- You can head over to the official Discord website, and download the latest version for your PC.
- Finally, install Discord on your computer by following the on-screen prompts.
- Log in to your Discord account.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you to fix the Discord Stream Has No Sound issue. Feel free to ask in the comment below if you’ve any queries.