In this comprehensive PlayStation 5 (PS5) storage space guide, we will show you how to free up storage, delete, copy, or move files. The latest console offering from Sony has a plentitude of noteworthy features up its sleeves. The ability to play games at 120FPS, tether smartphones to it, enable 120Hz in videos, and record gameplay/take screenshots are some of its striking features. Plus the 825GB SSD is sure to meet the demands most of the everyday gamers. But what if it doesn’t?
Well, there exist many different approaches through which you could manage saved data or free up space on your console. These include using the Extended storage, USB drive, or the Cloud Storage feature. In this regard, you could move PS4 games to extended storage, delete installed apps, or delete the data from PS5 console storage. Along the same lines, uploading PS5 Saved Data to Cloud Storage might also prove to be quite useful. With that said, this PlayStation 5 (PS5) storage space guide will show you how to carry out all these aforementioned tasks. Follow along.
- PlayStation 5 (PS5) Storage Space Guide | Free Up, Delete, Copy, Move
PlayStation 5 (PS5) Storage Space Guide | Free Up, Delete, Copy, Move
This tutorial will be divided into two different sections. In the first one, we will list out the steps to effectively manage the available space on your consoles, such as by copying or moving files to different locations or drives. In the next section, we will show you how to free up space by deleting files from the console or uploading it to cloud or external drives. So without further ado, let’s get on with the PlayStation 5 storage space tutorial.
Managing Storage on PS5
To begin with, it is always a good idea to keep a check on the current storage space. This could be done by heading over to Settings > Storage. Now if you feel that the free space is slightly on the lower side, then there’s always an opinion to delete those files. But before you do so, there are some other ways out such as moving your data to other spaces. Let’s check out them:
Transferring Data to External Storage
If deleting isn’t an option for you, then you could easily move your PS4 games from your PS5 console storage to extended storage. Here’s how it could be done:
- Head over to Settings > Storage > Console Storage.
- Then go to Games and apps and select Move to Extended Storage.
- Finally, select the data you want to store, and then select the Move option.
Upload Data to the Clouds
In this section of the PlayStation 5 storage space guide, we will show you how to upload data to the clouds. If you are a PlayStationPlus member, then you could upload your PS5 saved game data directly to cloud storage as well. Up to a total of 100GB could be uploaded over to the cloud.
- Go to Settings > Games/Apps and Saved Data.
- Then select Saved Data (PS5) or Saved Data (PS4).
- Next up, select Console Storage and select your desired game.
- Finally, select the Upload to Cloud Storage option.
Moving Data to USB Drive
You could also save your PS4 game data or the screenshots and video clips to a USB Drive. Do keep in mind that the latter should be formatted to FAT or exFAT before use. With that in mind, here are the required instructions for the PlayStation 5 storage space to move data to a USB drive:
- Head over to Settings > Saved Data and Game/App Settings and select Saved Data (PS4).
- Then select the Console Storage option followed by Copy to USB Drive.
- Finally, select the required game. This will show all its associate files.
- Checkmark the files that you need to copy and then select the Copy option.
Copy PS4 Saved Data from USB back to PS5
If at any point in time, you wish to copy the saved PS4 data from USB back to PS5 Console, then here’s what needs to be done:
- Go to Settings > Saved Data and Game/App Settings > Saved Data (PS4).
- Then select USB Drive followed by Copy to Console Storage.
- Select the desired game, checkmark the files that you need to copy, and select Copy.
Freeing Up Storage on PS5
Let’s now check out the steps to free up storage space on your PlayStation 5 console. As already discussed before, you could move PS4 games installed on your PS5 to extended storage, upload data to clouds, or even move them to the USB drive. While all these do end up saving space on your console, but it’s quite obvious that they would instead take up space where they are stored. So if those data are no longer needed, then it’s better to delete them rather than performing the copy/paste or move functionality. With that in mind, here are the steps to delete PS5 apps as well as to delete data from PS5 console storage.
Delete PS5 Applications
By carrying out the below steps in this PlayStation 5 storage space guide, you aren’t going to lose access to your deleted games. You could always access all your game purchases from the game library any time you wish. On that note, here are the steps to delete PS5 apps:
- Head over to Settings > Storage and select Games and Apps.
- Then chose the Items You Can Delete.
- You may then select the Delete option to remove the game from system storage
- Likewise, you could also delete only certain parts of the game or its add-ons.
Delete Data from PS5 Console Storage
If you wish to delete data from your PS5 console storage, then here are the steps that you need to execute:
- First off, go to Settings followed by Saved Data and Game/App Settings.
- Then select Saved Data (PS5) or Saved Data (PS4).
- After this, select Console Storage > Delete.
- Finally, select the files that you wish to remove and hit Delete.
So with this, we conclude our comprehensive PlayStation 5 (PS5) storage space guide. We have shared the steps to effectively manage the available space by moving them to other drives. Likewise, we have also shown you how to free up storage space by deleting apps and data from your console. If you have any other queries, do let us know in the comments section below. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Tricks that you should check out as well.