Samsung Galaxy S6 (codename: zero) launched in March 2015. The phone came out of the box with Android 5.0 Lollipop and later upgraded to Android 7.0 Nougat. Recently the company rolled Android 8.0 Oreo for Galaxy S6. If you are waiting for Official Android 9.0 Pie Update for Galaxy S6? Then your wait will be eternal. Currently, this device has stopped receiving the new OS update. If you want to try custom ROM based on Android 9.0 Pie AOSP? then you are in the right place.
Google finally released the 9th iteration of Android OS called Android 9.0 Pie. The update has rolled for Pixel supported devices and few other OEM supported with Android Beta. After putting Android users through four beta updates of Android P, Google has named Android 9.0 as Android Pie. It is expected that in the coming months all the devices that had been signed up for the Android P beta program including the OnePlus 6, Oppo R15 Pro, Vivo X21 and more will receive the Android P update first.
When will Samsung release Android 9.0 Pie Update for Galaxy S6?
Samsung Galaxy S6 (codename: zerolte) came out of the box with Android 5.0.2 Lollipop and later upgraded to Android 7.0 Nougat. There is no confirmation whether Samsung will roll Android Pie update to this device. This device has already received two major OS upgrade. You can check out the List of Android 9 Pie Samsung Supported Devices.
But you can install the Android 9.0 Pie Custom ROM based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project) on Samsung Galaxy S6.Related Article
- Lineage OS 16: List of Supported Devices, Release Date and More (Android 9.0 Pie)
- Android 9.0 Pie: Supported Device List, Features, and Downloads
What’s on Android 9.0 Pie?
Android 9.0 Pie is the 9th iteration and a major update of Google’s Android OS. The new Android Pie brings a couple of design changes to the successor Android Oreo but the most notable one is the gesture-based navigation system. Other features of Android 9 Pie are New Quick Settings UI design, Redesigned volume slider, Advanced Battery with AI Support, Notch Support, Improved Adaptive Brightness, Manual theme selection, Android Dashboard which Google calls Digital Wellbeing, and more other features.
Check out the Top 10 Features of Android 9.0 Pie Update
Want to try Android 9.0 Pie Update for Galaxy S6 (zerolte)?
If you want to enjoy Android 9.0 Pie features, then follow the below guide.
Make sure you have Unlocked Bootloader and installed TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S6 (zerolte).
- Supported on Samsung Galaxy S6
- Charge your phone up to 50% or more.
- Take a complete backup of your phone data [Follow any method]
- How to Backup Your Android Phone Without ROOT
- How to Backup Complete Stock or Custom ROM using TWRP recovery
- Backup Your Android Apps and Data with Titanium Backup
- How to Backup Your Android Phone Directly to PC with TWRP!!
- How to Backup Your Data on Android device
- If you already have TWRP: then you can Create and Restore Nandroid Backup via TWRP
- Do a full data wipe in the stock recovery (this is mandatory, twrp wipe will not work)
- First of all, enable OEM unlock on Galaxy S6.
- Install the latest TWRP recovery on Galaxy S6.
- Download Android 9.0 Pie: Here. [Thanks to the XDA Senior member lukasb06]
- Download Android 9.0 Pie Gapps Package
- zero-multitarget: Samsung Galaxy S6 Flat/Edge International (SM-G92[0/5]F/FD/I/S/K/L/T/W8), comes with support for both Flat and Edge for all supported devices except the zero(f)ltespr-variants
- zerofltespr: Samsung Galaxy S6 Flat/Edge Sprint/China (SM-G92[0/5]P/R4/0/8/9)
[su_note note_color=”#fee9e9″ text_color=”#000000″]Warning: We are not responsible if you brick your device. Do it at your own risk.[/su_note]
Instructions to Install on Samsung Galaxy S6:
- Move the download AOSP Android 9.0 Pie and Android Pie Gapps to internal storage [root folder]
- Now boot your device into TWRP Recovery.
- Before installing Wipe System Data on TWRP Recovery (DO NOT WIPE INTERNAL STORAGE)
- Now follow the guide on how to flash custom ROM using TWRP Recovery
- reboot to system, then again recovery and then you can follow the same guide to flash the Gapps file on your phone.
- That’s it! You can reboot your device to enjoy AOSP Android 9.0 Pie Update on Samsung Galaxy S6.
Root Android 9.0 Pie on Samsung Galaxy S6:
We are not responsible if the rooting procedure didn’t work on your phone.
Download and Install SuperSU root on your phone.
If you don’t want SuperSU rooting guide, then you can try Magisk on your phone.
Hope this guide was helpful to install AOSP Android 9.0 Pie Update for Galaxy S6.