Windows 11 is the latest version of the Microsoft operating system. It comes with a revamped design and many additional features. Overall, it’s a great upgrade over its predecessor, Windows 10. However, when it comes to gaming, it’s almost impossible to find any competition for Windows 7. Even the latest Windows 11 is nothing in front of Windows 7 when it comes to gaming. In fact, in Windows 11, many users are experiencing high ping issues in their favorite games. No doubt, the OS is still going through its experimental phase, but dealing with high ping can completely ruin the gaming experience.
For those who are unaware, Ping in online gaming refers to the duration between your input and the gaming server’s response to that input. Facing high ping will delay your every moment in the game. Nevertheless, coming back to the topic, most gamers are impatient and can’t wait for Microsoft to solve the high ping issue in Windows 11. So, is there any other workaround using which you can fix the high ping issue in Windows 11?
Thankfully, there is, and this post is all about that. Here, we are going to share the best settings to fix the high ping issue on Windows 11. So, without any further ado, let’s begin.
How to Fix Windows 11 VPN Not Working?
Fix: USB Detected But Not Accessible Issue in Windows 11, 10
Fix: Windows 11 Touchpad Gestures Missing
Fix Windows 11 Random Shutdown Issue
Fix: Windows 11 Clipboard History Not Working
Fix: Miracast Not Working on Windows 11 and 10
How To Fix External Hard Drive I/O Device Error in Windows 11/10
How to Fix Scanner Not Working Issue on Windows 11
TranslucentTB Windows 11 Not Working, How to Fix?
- Why Does Windows 11 Have a High Ping Issue?
- How to Check Game Latency on Windows 11?
- Best Settings to Fix High Ping Issue on Windows 11
- Final Words
Why Does Windows 11 Have a High Ping Issue?
Before talking about the best settings to fix the high ping issue on Windows 11, it’s important to find out the core reason behind the problem. There can be various reasons why you are facing a high ping issue on Windows 11. And if you are a competitive gamer, then you must be aware that high ping can even cost you the game.
As mentioned, a “ping” in online gaming refers to the duration between your input and the gaming server’s response to that input. And this entire process is measured in latency, which is called “ms” or millisecond in gaming. Nevertheless, the main reason why you are facing high ping in the game is a slow internet connection. A weak internet connection can result in terrible lags during gaming sessions.
How to Check Game Latency on Windows 11?
By default, Windows 11 comes with a feature using which you can check the game latency. So, here are the steps you need to follow to check game latency on Windows 11.
- Open the Task Manager on your system.
- Tap on “Performance.”
- Click on “Open Resource Monitor”.
- Click on the drop-down icon next to “Network”.
- Here you will see the latency of all the applications installed on your device.
Continue with the guide to find out how to lower the game latency on Windows 11.
Best Settings to Fix High Ping Issue on Windows 11
Now that you are aware that a weak internet connection is the main reason behind the high ping problem, so to fix high ping issue you’ll have to get over the weak internet problem. From a stuck router to incorrect proxy settings, there are multiple reasons behind a poor internet connection.
So, let’s check out how you can improve your connection speed, which will directly solve the high ping problem on Windows 11.
Fix 1: Connect Using an Ethernet Cable
The main reason why gamers face high ping issues is that they are connected via a Wi-Fi router or mobile hotspot, instead of an Ethernet cable. An Ethernet cable will rule out any Wi-Fi or high ping issues that you may be facing on Windows 11.
Fix 2: Reconfigure Network Adaptor
Facing a high ping issue on Windows 11 can be a result of a bugged network adaptor. As a solution to it, you have to reset your network adaptor. So, here are all the steps you need to follow to do so.
- Open Windows 11 Settings by pressing the Windows + I shortcut key.
- Go to “Network and Internet”.
- In the Network and Internet section, scroll down and tap on “Advanced Network Settings”.
- Click on “Network Reset” present under More Settings.
- On the following page, click on “Reset now”.
Now restart your Windows 11 PC. Open the game in which you are facing a high ping issue, and see if there is any change in it or not. If yes, you’re good to go. However, if you are still facing a high ping problem, move on to the next workaround.
Fix 2: Disable Background Running Application
If you have opened up a lot of applications on your Windows 11 PC at once, then also you may face a high ping issue. Most applications nowadays need an internet connection to offer their services. Thus, if you have a lot of applications open in the background, they will keep on consuming the internet, which will directly result in high ping in the game. So, here’s what you need to do to close unnecessary applications in the background.
- Open the Task Manager on your Windows 11 PC.
- In the Process section, under “Background processes”, you will see all the applications that are open on the PC.
- Select any unnecessary application and tap on “End task.”
Do this every time you are about to play a game on your system. It will not only fix the high ping issue but also boost the overall performance of the game.
Fix 3: Lower the Frame Rate of the Game
As you must know, keeping high frame rates produces better animations, but at the same time, it can also result in high ping, especially if you have a low-end PC and a weak internet connection. So, as a solution to it, visit your game settings and optimize its frame rate.
Different games have different ways of lowering their frame rate, so it will not be fair to others if we just talk about lowering the frame rate of a particular game. So, you can go online and check how to lower the frame rate of the game you are currently playing.
Fix 4: Change DNS Server
Changing DNS is the best setting to fix high ping issue on Windows 11. You will face a high ping issue if you are connected to a server that can’t handle the speed of the game. As a solution to it, make sure you are connected to the fastest DNS server. Google and Cloudfare’s public DNS are recommended DNS servers to play games. Nevertheless, these are the steps you need to follow to connect to a faster DNS server.
- Open the Control Panel in Windows 11.
- In the Control Panel, go to Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center.
- Tap on “Change adapter settings” present in the left panel.
- Right-click on the network via which you are connected, and select “Properties”.
- Select “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and tap on “Properties”.
- Select “Use the following DNS server addresses”.
- Now, if you want to use the Google public DNS server, type “18.104.22.168” in the “Prefered DNS server” and “22.214.171.124” in the “Alternate DNS server.”
- And type “126.96.36.199” in the Preferred DNS server box and “188.8.131.52” in the Alternate DNS server, to connect to Cloudfare’s public DNS server.
- Once done, tap OK.
The above-mentioned settings will be helpful if you are on an IPv4 network. But if you are connected to an IPv6 network, follow the below-mentioned steps.
- In the WiFi Properties window, select Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and tap on “Properties”.
- Select “Use the following DNS server addresses”.
- Now, if you want to use the Google public DNS server, type “2001:4860:4860::888” in the “Prefered DNS server” and “2001:4860:4860::8844” in the “Alternate DNS server.”
- And type “2606:4700:4700::1111” in the Preferred DNS server box and “2606:4700:4700::1001” in the Alternate DNS server, to connect to Cloudfare’s public DNS server.
Now re-launch your game, and check whether the high ping issue is fixed or not.
Fix 5: Modify the Firewall Settings
The firewall has a long history of blocking games and causing different issues within them. The high ping problem that you are facing can be a result of it as well. In fact, the Windows 11 firewall has got the toughest settings which can act as a barrier to online games. As a fix for it, you will have to manually allow the games to breach the firewall settings. So, here are the steps to follow to get the work done.
- Head over to the Windows 11 settings by pressing the Windows + I shortcut key.
- On the left panel of the screen, click on “Privacy and Security.”
- In the Privacy and Security window, tap on Windows Security.
- Now, click on Firewall and network protection.
- A new window will pop up containing all the firewall settings.
- Tap on the “Allow an app through the firewall” option.
- Click on “Change settings”.
- Now, tap on “Allow another app.”
- Click on “Browse” and add the path of the “.exe” file of the game.
- Lastly, tap on “Add”.
This was how you could breach an application through the firewall settings. However, if you are still facing the problem, you can try disabling the firewall. Here are the steps to disable the firewall on Windows 11.
- Come to the “Windows Security” page by following the above-mentioned steps.
- Click on “Open Windows Security”.
- In the new window that pops up, choose “Firewall & network protection”.
- Click on “Public Network.”
- On the following page, disable the Microsoft Defender Firewall by tapping on the toggle bar.
- Click on “Yes” to the confirmation window that pops up.
That’s it. You have now finally disabled the Windows Defender Firewall on Windows 11. Re-launch the game, and you will be surprised to see that the ping you are currently getting is comparatively better than before.
These were the best settings to fix high ping issue on Windows 11. The best part about these settings is that they will work on any online game. So, let us know in the comments whether you were benefited from the above-mentioned fixes or not. And don’t forget to share your favorite game in the comments.