Apple has introduced an amazing feature in iOS 16 called Depth Effect. The Depth Effect is an AI-based feature that understands the image and differentiates its main subject from the background on the Lock Screen Wallpaper. For example, if you set your photo with a black background, it will determine that you are the main subject and the rest is the background.
After using the Depth Effect, your phone creates a layered effect with the image background as the first layer, the Lock screen clock as the second, and the subject as the third layer. As a result, some portion of the time indicator gets hidden by the main subject of the wallpaper, creating a delightful 3D layered effect.
However, some users have reported that the Depth Effect is not working on their iPhones. If you are also facing this issue and searching for how to set a Depth Effect on your iPhone Lock Screen, then this guide is for you. In this guide, we have shared a few methods by which you can set the Depth Effect on your iPhone Lock Screen. Make sure you follow all the steps given below to fix the problem.
- How to Fix Depth Effect not working on iPhone
- Method 1: You should have iPhone XR or Later
- Method 2: Update to iOS 16
- Method 3: Remove the widgets from your iPhone Lock Screen
- Method 4: Enable the Depth Effect Feature
- Method 5: Choose the right photo for your Lock screen
- Method 6: Reposition the Wallpaper of your iPhone
- Method 7: Restart your iPhone
- Method 8: Reset all the Settings of your iPhone
How to Fix Depth Effect not working on iPhone
Method 1: You should have iPhone XR or Later
Depth Effect only works on the iPhone that has A12 Bionic Chip or later. So, the models on which the Depth Effect can be applied are:
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS and XS Max
- iPhone 11 Series
- iPhone 12 Series
- iPhone 13 Series
- iPhone 14 Series
- iPhone SE ( 2nd and 3rd generation)
Method 2: Update to iOS 16
To use Depth Effect on your iPhone, your iPhone must run on the iOS 16 version of the operating system. As this feature is only available on iOS 16. If your iPhone is compatible with the latest iOS 16 and you have not updated yet. Then, firstly you need to update it to use the Depth Effect. To update, follow the steps given below.
- Open the settings of your iPhone.
- Now, go to the General section.
- Then, click on Software Update to update the device.
Method 3: Remove the widgets from your iPhone Lock Screen
Some lock screen widgets may be the reason why you are not able to use the Depth Effect feature. So, if you want to use the Depth Effect on your iPhone lock screen, then you have to remove the widgets. To remove the widgets, follow the steps given below.
- Go to Customize on your Lock Screen.
- Then, in the widget area, click on the Widget.
- Now, press the (-) symbol to remove the widget.
Method 4: Enable the Depth Effect Feature
While applying wallpaper to the Lock Screen of your iPhone, you must check and enable the Depth Effect feature. Usually, it is enabled by default on iOS 16. If it is not, then to enable it, follow the steps given below.
- Open the settings of your iPhone.
- Click on Wallpaper.
- Now, either you can choose to customize the current lock screen or you can choose to add new wallpaper.
- If you choose to Customize, then click on the three dots in the bottom right corner. And check whether the Depth Effect is enabled or not.
If you choose to Add new Wallpaper, then tap photos to select a photo from the Photos app.
- You must see that some portion of the time indicator is hidden behind the image. If it is not, then click on the More button, and check whether the Depth Effect is enabled or not.
- Lastly, click on Add. Then, set as Wallpaper.
Method 5: Choose the right photo for your Lock screen
The Depth Effect feature will only work on your iPhone when you choose a photo whose main subject is near the time indicator. Mostly, pictures of a person, pets, or buildings work.
The image subject should not cover the whole time indicator. If it does, then the Depth Effect will not work on it. Instead, the main subject of the image will appear below the time indicator. So, the subject of the image should not be too high or too low. Also, the image shouldn’t have many subjects, otherwise, the Depth Effect feature will not work.
Method 6: Reposition the Wallpaper of your iPhone
When you choose an image that supports the depth effect feature, then it will automatically come to action. But sometimes, it doesn’t work, so you need to reposition the image accordingly while adding a new wallpaper or customizing the current one. To reposition the image, follow the steps given below.
- Open the Settings of your iPhone.
- Go to Wallpapers.
- Click on Customize option below the current lock screen, or add a new wallpaper and select the right image.
- Now, by using two fingers, zoom in and zoom out the image slowly such that the subject appears over the time indicator.
Method 7: Restart your iPhone
The next way by which you can fix the Depth Effect not working issue is by restarting your iPhone. Sometimes, it happens that due to some technical issues, the Depth Effect feature is not working. One of the easy steps that you can take to solve this issue is by restarting your device.
Method 8: Reset all the Settings of your iPhone
Even by following all the above-mentioned steps, if the Dept Effect feature is not working, then we will suggest you to resetting all the settings of your iPhone. But before you do that, make sure that the Depth Effect is not working in any type of image. Try using different images on your wallpaper, if none of them supports the Depth Effect then try resetting all the settings of your device.
This was all for this article. We hope that by using these methods, you were able to use the Depth Effect feature on your iPhone Wallpaper. If you have solved this by using any other method, do share it with us in the comment section.