Well, If you are here, then you may probably want to install the Custom ROM on Nubia Red Magic 3 and 3S (NX609J, NX629J). As you read our title, yes we can guide you on installing the latest custom ROM on Nubia Red Magic 3 and 3S based on GSI build.
When you buy a new phone, it comes with so-called stock ROM or stock firmware which basically means a pre-installed operating system. This ROM usually comes with some limited functionality defined by the OEM (phone manufacturer). Whereas a custom ROM is developed by using AOSP also known as Android Open Source Project. Yes, we all know that Android is open-source and therefore any developer can edit the code, or recompile it according to his or her need. You can read our complete article to understand the difference between Custom ROM and Stock ROM.
Flashing the ROM in Nubia Red Magic 3 and 3S is easy! All you need to do is follow the instructions carefully. If you are a newbie, then you need to understand that before flashing, you must unlock the bootloader on your Nubia Red Magic 3 and 3S. To unlock the bootloader, follow our guide on how to unlock the bootloader on any Realme on any Android device.
If you already unlocked the bootloader, then you can simply follow our guide to install the custom ROM on Nubia Red Magic 3 and 3S. Before that, let’s understand What is a GSI build.
What is GSI Stands for?
GSI stands for Generic system image which is an Android System image that can be used to replace the current installed Android version with a new one. It is a pure Android with an unmodified Android Open Source Project (AOSP) code. With Android 8.1, Google introduced the project treble support for many devices and now with Android 9.0 Pie, Google finally added the API level 28 to support Generic System Images to all app developers to install and run the latest Android GSIs on a variety of existing Android devices. To know more: Read here
How to Install Custom ROM on Nubia Red Magic 3 and 3S
To install, as we said, you need to unlock the bootloader and must have a TWRP (to install via a device) or a PC (to install via Fastboot). Yes, there are two methods to install the custom ROM GSI on Nubia Red Magic 3 and 3S (NX609J, NX629J).
AOSP GSIs which is still marked as a pre-release. Even on a device that runs Pie GSIs nicely, it’s still possible to get broken media, camera, RIL, or even flat-out no-boot. You are strongly advised to try PHH’s original and then identify/report issues there, before moving onto other GSIs that are based on his work. Please report bugs on the same thread related to the ROM.
We’re at GetDroidTips won’t be responsible for any kind of damage or error that occurs to your handset while or after following this guide. This is a Custom ROM and may contain some of the bugs or stability issues. We can’t recommend you to use this firmware as your daily driver. Proceed at your own risk.
- This guide is for Nubia Red Magic 3 and 3S.
- You will require to unlock the device bootloader at first
- ARM, ARM64, or x86: Check your Android Phone’s Processor
- Treble Support: Check If Your Smartphone Supports Project Treble
- Download the required file and Supported the GApps file from below.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
- Download and install Nubia USB Drivers
- For adb method: Download ADB and Fastboot tool
- For TWRP Method: Download and Install TWRP Recovery on Nubia Red Magic 3 and 3S
A only arm32 – arm avN
A only arm64 – arm64 avN
A/B arm64 – arm64 bvN
A/B arm32 – arm bvN
Android 11 ROM:
- AOSP Quack Phh-Treble: Download
- LineageOS 18.1 Download – If broken link, check official forum
- AOSP Quack Phh-Treble: Download | Official Forum
- Lineage OS 17.1 Download – If broken link, check official forum
- HavoOS: Download | Official Forum
- Descendant: Download | Official Forum
- crDroid: Download | Official Forum
- Download Lineage OS 17.1 Gapps | Open Gapps 10 or Android 10 Gapps
Flash via Fastboot
- Download https://dl.google.com/developers/android/qt/images/gsi/vbmeta.img
- First, do the factory reset on Nubia Red Magic 3 and 3S. There are two methods to do it, follow anyone.
- Factory Reset When Powered On: To install without TWRP, you have to factory reset using your Umdigi A7 Pro factory reset option.
- Factory Reset via Stock Recovery: Reboot your Nubia Red Magic 3 and 3S into stock recovery using a button combination or ADB command.
adb reboot recovery
- In your Stock Recovery, navigate using the Volume UP and DOWN button.
- Make sure to extract the downloaded GSI build.
- After resetting the factory ROM, you can now boot your device into bootloader mode using the adb command
adb reboot bootloader.
- Now open the extracted folder of GSI build, there, now open the command prompt window by holding the SHIFT KEY and Right Mouse click.
- In your command window, enter the command
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
- Now reboot back to fastboot by the following command:
fastboot reboot fastboot
- To flash the system image, enter a command in the following format:
fastboot flash system system-roar-arm64-ab-vanilla.img
- Once it is done. Now you can formate data and reboot
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the Custom ROM on your Nubia Red Magic 3 and 3S handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.
Credits to all the developers from XDA forum and 4PDA forum