Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II is a sequel to the 2009’s first-person shooter Modern Warfare 2 video game that offers a new era of the iconic experience, including the improved battle royale & campaign mode. Meanwhile, some of the unfortunate players are encountering several issues or bugs that need to be fixed. Well, the COD Modern Warfare 2 game is a Stuttering or Lagging issue appearing a lot on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S consoles.
It looks like you’re one of the victims to encounter this specific issue due to multiple possible reasons. We’ve shared a couple of possible workarounds for you that should come in handy to resolve it. The chances are high that the COD MWII game is stuttering or the lagging issue appears on the gaming consoles while launching and during the gameplay sessions. Luckily, you can check for the troubleshooting guide below to fix it.
- Fix: Modern Warfare 2 Stuttering or Lagging Badly on PS4, PS5
- 1. Use Another Graphics Mode
- 2. Reboot the PS4/PS5 Console
- 3. Update PlayStation Firmware
- 4. Update Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II
- 5. Power Cycle your PS4/PS5
- 6. Keep PS4/PS5 in a well-ventilated area
- 7. Check your TV or Monitor
- 8. Check the HDMI port
- 9. Check the Free Hard Drive Space
- 10. Eject the Game Disc and Gently Clean It
- 11. Try Playing Another Game on PS4/PS5
- 12. Clear Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II Game Data
- 13. Rebuild Database
- 14. Hard Reset your Console
- 15. Don’t Put in Rest Mode
- Fix: Modern Warfare 2 Stuttering or Lagging Badly on Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S
Fix: Modern Warfare 2 Stuttering or Lagging Badly on PS4, PS5
As per several reports by the affected players, the Call of Duty MWII game has some internal bugs and glitches that we can’t deny. Apart from the startup crashes, the game not loading issue, graphical glitches, performance drops, FPS drops, etc, stuttering & lagging also play a major role for the players. Now, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into it.
1. Use Another Graphics Mode
You should try using another graphics mode if you use the PS4/PS5 console to fix stutters and lags. Some games can trouble you a lot in terms of the frame drops and occasional hiccups. Try tweaking the in-game graphics settings menu to cross-check whether the higher graphics settings are causing several system performance issues. In some cases, changing the graphics mode or reducing the graphics quality up to some extent (depending on your need), may fix such an issue.
2. Reboot the PS4/PS5 Console
If, in case, you’re one of the PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 console users and having issues with the system performance or even the in-game performance, then make sure to reboot the PS4/PS5 console to refresh the system. Sometimes a simple console restart may fix the issue with game crashes, lags, stutters, etc.
3. Update PlayStation Firmware
Updating the PS4/PS5 system software is recommended to avoid graphical glitches or lags. You can follow the steps below to install the update.
- Head over to Settings > Hit System.
- Select System Software > Hit System Software Update and Settings.
- Select Update System Software > Select Update Using Internet.
4. Update Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II
If you haven’t updated the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II video game on your PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 console for a while then make sure to update it by following the steps below:
- Turn on your PS4/PS5 console > Go to the Home screen.
- Now, navigate to the main menu on top.
- Head over to the Games tab.
- Scroll down to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II and highlight it.
- Press the Options button on your controller.
- Finally, choose to Check for Update from the drop-down menu.
5. Power Cycle your PS4/PS5
Any system glitch or cache issue can sometimes cause errors, crashes, lags, etc. You can clear the temporary cache or glitch by power cycling your console to improve the performance.
- First, shut down your console completely.
- Next, remove the power cable from the console.
- Wait for around 30 seconds and plug back the cable in.
- Finally, turn on the PS4/PS5 console and check for the issue again.
6. Keep PS4/PS5 in a well-ventilated area
In some scenarios, your PS4/PS5 console may trigger several issues with the system performance or game lags due to overheating. Sometimes the room’s lack of proper air ventilation may cause hardware stress that directly affects gameplay or gaming performance. So, you should keep your PS4/PS5 console in a well-ventilated place to check if there is an overheating issue or not.
The proper airflow and the cooler place or temperature inside the room might going to help the PS4/PS5 console to work better. Keeping the console in a congested area or directly under sunlight may trouble a lot.
7. Check your TV or Monitor
Another possible reason behind the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II game lagging on the PS4/PS5 console is that your TV or monitor might have some issues with the screen refresh rate. Maybe a temporary glitch or the refresh rate issue on the PS4/PS5 console may trigger some issues.
8. Check the HDMI port
It’s also recommended to check the HDMI port of both the console and display device properly because a misalignment or even dust particles can easily cause connectivity issues whatsoever. Try gently removing the HDMI cable and then blowing some air in force to clear dirt/dust from the HDMI port.
9. Check the Free Hard Drive Space
Sometimes having low storage space on the hard drive can also trigger application launching issues apart from glitches, slow loading, lags, graphical issues, etc. You should always check for free hard drive storage space before getting to any other conclusion. If the free storage space is too low then make sure to uninstall unnecessary games or other applications from your PlayStation console and check for the screen tearing issue again.
10. Eject the Game Disc and Gently Clean It
If in case, you’re using the disc edition of the PlayStation console then keeping and using the physical discs are quite a tough job because any kind of scratches or physical damage or even dust particles can easily ruin the disc and your gaming experience too. So, it’s suggested to simply eject the game disc and gently clean it using a microfiber cloth to remove smudges and dirt then try inserting the disc again to check for the issue.
11. Try Playing Another Game on PS4/PS5
Sometimes PlayStation games may not run properly which is a bit of a letdown. Make sure to play another game on the PS4/PS5 console to check for the issue or wait for some time to try again.
12. Clear Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II Game Data
Clearing out the game-saved data on the console may also fix multiple issues with the game launching or gameplay. You can try it out:
- Go to Settings > Select Application Saved Data Management.
- Choose either System Storage or Online Storage or USB Storage > Select Delete.
- Select the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II game.
- Checkmark the files that you want to delete or Select All.
- Finally, select Delete > Select OK to confirm the task.
- Once done, reboot your console to check for the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II Stuttering or Lagging issue on the PS4/PS5 console.
13. Rebuild Database
Rebuilding the database on your PlayStation console can quickly resolve potential issues or errors. To do so:
- Switch off your console completely. Unplug the power cable from the console and wait for around 2-3 minutes.
- Now, plug in the power cable, and turn it on to clear the Cached Data automatically from the system.
Check whether or not this issue has been fixed with the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II game. If not, follow the next steps below.
- Now, press and hold the Power button on the PlayStation console until you hear 2 beeps. [The second beep will sound after seven seconds]
- The console will boot in Safe Mode > Connect the controller to the USB with the console and press the PS Button on the controller.
- Next, you’ll get an option called Rebuild Database.
- Select Rebuild Database and confirm the task.
- It may take some time depending on the hard drive data size. Have some patience.
- Once done, just reboot the system normally.
14. Hard Reset your Console
In most cases, performing the hard reset of your console can fix system glitches or cache data issues from the game itself. To do so:
- Switch off your PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 console first.
- Once the console is turned off, press and hold the Power button on the console until you hear two beep sounds within a couple of seconds.
- Here you’ll see two reset options to choose from.
- Select the necessary option to reset your PlayStation console.
- Wait for the process to complete and then make sure to sign in to the PlayStation account.
- Finally, install the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II game, and try running it.
15. Don’t Put in Rest Mode
As a bonus method make sure not to put your console in rest mode because it may cause the system to have glitches or fully goes into rest mode. So, during the gameplay sessions, don’t put in the rest mode. To do so:
- Go to the PS5 Settings menu > Open the Power Saving tab.
- Select Set Time Until PS4/PS5 Enter Rest Mode.
- Set to Don’t Put in Rest Mode > Restart the console to apply changes.
Fix: Modern Warfare 2 Stuttering or Lagging Badly on Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S
If you’re using the Xbox gaming console and facing the screen tearing issue with the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II game then make sure to follow the methods below.
1. Check System Updates
We’ll highly recommend you check for system updates on the Xbox console before jumping into any other getting into any other workarounds because an outdated system version can trigger screen-related issues whatsoever. To do so:
- Press the Home button on the Xbox console to open the Dashboard menu.
- Now, select Settings from the bottom of the menu > Select All Settings.
- Choose System > Select Updates.
- Select Update Console (if available) > Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the update process.
- Once done, make sure to restart the console to apply changes.
2. Update Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II
You should also update the game version on your console to ensure there is no issue with the game files. An outdated or corrupted game can easily trigger multiple issues whatsoever. To do so:
- Go to the My Games and Apps section of your Dashboard menu.
- Select Manage > Go to Updates.
- If your Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II game has any available updates, you can find them easily.
- Make sure to select the update process and press the A button on the controller to start it.
Please Note: It’s worth recommending going to the Settings page > Choose Systems > Select Updates to make your game update automatically whenever the console is connected to the internet.
3. Power Cycle your Xbox Console
It’s worth mentioning to perform a power cycle method on your Xbox console to ensure there is no issue with the device firmware or glitch. A normal reboot might not work in most cases and requires a power cycle process to clear out temporary glitches or cache data issues. To do this:
- Power Off the Xbox console > Unplug the power cable from the console and power source.
- Now, wait for around 30 seconds, and then plug back the power cable in.
- Make sure to turn on the Xbox console and check whether the Stuttering or Lagging issue has been fixed or not.
4. Reinstall the Game
You should also try uninstalling and reinstalling the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II game on your Xbox console. Once done, make sure to reinstall it on the Xbox console to avoid game-related issues. To do this:
- Press the Xbox button on the controller to open the Guide menu.
- Select My Games and Apps > Hit See all > Choose Games.
- Then select the Ready to install tab > Select Queue.
- Select the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II game that you’re trying to reinstall.
- Now, press the Menu button on your controller.
- Select Manage game & add-ons or Manage app.
- Choose Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II > Select Uninstall all.
- Make sure to select Uninstall all to confirm the task.
- Wait for the uninstallation process to complete.
- Reboot the system to apply changes.
- Then press the Xbox button on the controller to open the Guide menu again.
- Hit My Games and Apps > Select See All> Go to Games.
- Select the Ready to Install tab > Hit Install for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II.
- Wait for the installation process, and then restart the console.
5. Reset the Console
If the above methods don’t work for you, simply follow the steps below to reset the console manually. Doing so lets you easily clear out system glitches or cache data issues from your console. To do so:
- Press the Xbox button on the controller to open the Guide menu.
- Select Profile & System> Go to Settings > Select System.
- Go to Console info > Select Reset console.
- You’ll get a prompt like Reset your console.
- Here you should select Reset and remove everything. [This will delete all user data, including accounts, saved games, settings, all installed apps & games, etc]
- Although you can choose to Reset and keep my games & apps, it may not resolve the issue in most cases.
- After you select the option, your Xbox console starts deleting and resetting the system to the factory default settings.
- Wait for the process to get completed, then reboot the console.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.